Author Topic: Kindle (Voyage) Update - 3/4/2020?  (Read 1063 times)  

Offline fos

• Under the Rainbow
    • View Profile
    • Far Out Science
Kindle (Voyage) Update - 3/4/2020?
« on: March 04, 2020, 07:48:54 am »
After setting my Voyage down while reading this morning, the voyage went to the sleep screen and began the update process. The update was complete after several minutes. After bringing it out of the sleep mode, nothing new seemed to be available.

All of the iOS and computer apps have been updated recently. They now have a "with offers" type home screen.

I wonder what this new update is for?

fos1

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
    • Kindle Voyage Wi-Fi
      • View Profile
    Re: Kindle (Voyage) Update - 3/4/2020?
    « Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 07:52:38 am »
    This is all I found on the Kindle Voyage update page:

Version 5.12.4 February 2020

Heres what's new:

Aa Menu: Over the next couple of weeks, you will see an updated Aa menu that makes it easier to access all font, layout and reading options without leaving your book.

Performance improvements, bug fixes, and other general enhancements.

Offline fos

• Under the Rainbow
      • View Profile
      • Far Out Science
    « Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 09:43:53 am »
    Thank you for the info.

I did check out the font menu. It didn't look like much changed.

I guess we really don't own our Kindles. Amazon can just change the OS without asking. It could almost be an Apple product. ;)

Jeff

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 12:38:31 pm »
    So far they haven't pushed the changes yet. Mine I updated manually, but no difference in the Aa menu yet.

I think even after the update is on the device, they still have to enable the actual new features later.

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 08:40:42 am »
    When I first had the update nothing had changed but I noticed today the Aa menu is now different - on my PW4 at least, haven't checked the others out yet. (It may have done it ages ago, I don't really change the settings much as I keep everything set the same for all books).

There don't seem to be any new options to speak of, though it seems more awkward the way it's set out now. Not sure what the purpose of the change was - change for change sake maybe, so we feel we're getting something new?
    Linda

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 03:17:16 pm »
    When I first had the update nothing had changed but I noticed today the Aa menu is now different - on my PW4 at least, haven't checked the others out yet. (It may have done it ages ago, I don't really change the settings much as I keep everything set the same for all books).

There don't seem to be any new options to speak of, though it seems more awkward the way it's set out now. Not sure what the purpose of the change was - change for change sake maybe, so we feel we're getting something new?

Prompted by the above, I checked my PW (latest). Yeah, it's different, but doesn't appear to be changed, if you get my drift. I don't really change anything on the menu so I have no idea how long it's been this way.

It appears to have added some adjustments that had to be accessed via the settings menu before. Don't see any other obvious changes in the settings menu, though.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 06:35:00 am »
    Thank you for the info.

I did check out the font menu. It didn't look like much changed.

I guess we really don't own our Kindles. Amazon can just change the OS without asking. It could almost be an Apple product. ;)

Jeff

You dont have to update either Mac or iOS. Just toggle it over to no automatic updates. Just like Windows.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement