Author Topic: Kindle Update 5.12.4 (latest book screensavers option, finally?)?  (Read 2503 times)  

Offline northofdivision

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
Haven't been following the updates lately as I always have my autoupdates off. But. the 5.12.4. Has this come out yet and has anyone tried it? ("menu that makes it easier to access all font, layout and reading options without leaving your book" and "last book read screensavers, finally")

Very curious what these features looks like.

On the other side of the grass, Kobo's latest update has a handful of solitaire games, sudoku, sketch pad, etc in the "beta features" that went live and it's nice to see how seamless they integrated. Would be kind of fun if Kindle would implement more "beta features". I only use my Kindles for reading books and articles but If I actually knew how to play any of these card games, it could be a really nice escape while still staying offline. The cards in the deck look really sharp. Same goes for sudoku if I actually knew how to play it.

Stanley
=====
Google Pixel, Ipad Mini4/5
Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis, Oasis 7"
Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura One 8", Likebook 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    Re: Kindle Update 5.12.4 (latest book screensavers option, finally?)?
    « Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 06:09:19 pm »
    I updated manually, but the changes to the Aa menu are not there yet. I assume they'll come in a bit, just like the sorting feature came after I got the update.

There was some speculation on mobilereads that there might be a possibility of book screensavers in the future. Just based on some "code" thingy they found in this latest update. But there is no confirmation on that.

I remember playing a game on my keyboard, what was it, bombs? I can't recall now what that game was called. Not something I'd use kindles anymore for now. I just want to read with them now.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 05:00:34 am »
    My Oasis apparently updated on its own as it is now 5.12.4  The "What's New" says,

"Aa Menu: Over the next couple of weeks, you will see an updated Aa menu that makes it easier to access all font, layout and reading options without leaving your book.  Performance improvements, bug fixes, and other general enhancements."

I don't see any changes as of yet. I just know I have to recharge the battery every 3-4 hours of reading time which is a pain in the wazoo.  I've restarted, checked indexing, etc., and the battery continues to discharge at a crazy rate.  Who knows what they're doing in the background.

Why in the world would we get an update that says "over the next couple of weeks" this update will continue to update??

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 06:25:39 am »
    My PW (latest version) is at 5.12.4. No idea when it updated itself. "What's new" says the same thing as crebel quoted. Can't speak to the battery discharge -- haven't paid close enough attention.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 07:10:31 am »
    A number of ereader blogs have reported problems with the update.  It seems a few have problems and most don't.  The ones that have problems can no longer see the books on board and there are other issues I don't recall.  A simple restart doesn't help but de-registering restarting, re-registering does fix it.  That leaves your books intact, unlike a reset to factory defaults.

Barry

Offline gdae23

• NYC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 10:21:13 am »
    My Paperwhite updated yesterday, with the same Whats New message as crebel. So far, I don't see any changes to the Aa menu. But this morning, there were several individual books listed outside of my collections. Most of these were of the type Doc, but at least one was a novel I had purchased from Amazon. All of them were still listed in my All collection. Usually, if a book is in at least one collection, it doesn't show up as a separate item, so I'm not sure what happened here. I added the 7-8 items back to other collections, and at the moment everything looks back to normal. I did have to charge my Kindle this morning, but I'm not sure if that was related to the update or just doing a lot of reading yesterday.

barryem - thanks for posting your advice here. If I run into any other issues, I'll give that a try.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 12:15:04 pm »
    My Oasis apparently updated on its own as it is now 5.12.4  The "What's New" says,

"Aa Menu: Over the next couple of weeks, you will see an updated Aa menu that makes it easier to access all font, layout and reading options without leaving your book.  Performance improvements, bug fixes, and other general enhancements."

I don't see any changes as of yet. I just know I have to recharge the battery every 3-4 hours of reading time which is a pain in the wazoo.  I've restarted, checked indexing, etc., and the battery continues to discharge at a crazy rate.  Who knows what they're doing in the background.

Why in the world would we get an update that says "over the next couple of weeks" this update will continue to update??
    Oh no 3-4 hours does not sound ok. Do you have the big one, or the little Oasis. Did that start with the update? Or before. Might be worth calling them. That would drive me nuts.

I update the 3 I have, O3, O1 and Voyage. My O3 seems fine. I laid it down last night with wifi on and it lost I think only 1% sleeping like that. Battery is like it was before. Not super long, but then it never had been. But certainly more than 4 hours. That is like nothing to us heavy readers.
    I just checked the other 2 kindles and I can see my books fine. The Voyage though is down to 79% and I didn't actually read with it. Wifi is off and it was charged I think 2 or 3 days ago. Not used at all. Don't think it used to go down that much when not being used, but maybe it was doing some fandangled stuff in the backround.

Oh, and my Oasis1 still has lost its battery mind. A few months ago, it changed the numbers you see on top and in the drop down. So it will say its 90% full right now, cover on. And looking at the battery via the menu, it says kindle 100% an cover 96%. It hasn't matched in months. Even running it down didn't fix it. Oh well.
    « Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 12:16:56 pm by Atunah »

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 12:39:24 pm »
    I have the Oasis 2.  The battery life has not been comparable to any of my other Kindles ever, but I still got at least a book or two of average length (so maybe 10-12 hours) before needing to recharge.  I have chalked it up to the extra lights, the amount of brightness/bold/font size I use and I pretty much always keep wi-fi on.  This 4 hours or so of reading before getting the charge message has just been in the last week or so. That's why I'm connecting it to some sort of "ongoing" update with this latest one.

My Voyage which I switch to when I have to stop reading the Oasis because of the battery message hasn't had a noticeable change in battery life, but I haven't checked to see if it has received the update.  I only checked the Oasis after seeing this thread and wondering if there was a correlation.  I'll go check the Voyage now ...

eta:  Voyage also at 5.12.4  It was at 100% just off the charger when I started reading on it last night.  After reading about 2 hours, it is at 67% right now.  That seems a little off to me for the amount of time used.  I'll keep track of this one now as well.  Sigh ...
    « Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 12:43:38 pm by crebel »

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 03:55:45 pm »
    I hope its just some update issue. My Oasis3 I have on light 12 and warm light 12 to 17 and I use size 4 or sometimes 3 for reading. I get pretty much what they say I should. Like 20 total reading hours? But I never let it get that low so if I read a lot, I might plug it in after a couple of days to top off. But it last way longer than 4 hours for sure.

Offline jkingrph

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 08:44:31 am »
    I updated manually, but the changes to the Aa menu are not there yet. I assume they'll come in a bit, just like the sorting feature came after I got the update.

Where did you go to find the update,  I looked on Amazon's update page and all I see is 5.12.3 ?

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: March 09, 2020, 11:26:01 am »
    Where did you go to find the update,  I looked on Amazon's update page and all I see is 5.12.3 ?

Yeah, weirdly, the 5.12.4 updates have disappeared. It was odd that they put out an update and then said the changes wouldn't actually show for a couple of weeks. Maybe it was a mistake and they shouldn't have been made available till the new stuff was ready.

I definitely have 5.12.4 on both my PW4 and my Voyage.
    Linda

Offline binaryhermit

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: March 09, 2020, 12:40:25 pm »
    I believe they pulled 5.12.4 because it was causing people to have their library appear to be blank on device

Offline LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: March 10, 2020, 08:32:59 am »
    My O3 is on 5.12.3 and doesn't show any indication of any available update. I'm not too interested in updates until Amazon gives us the ability to sort our content by size and by amount/percentage read. How hard can that be Amazon?
    My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    There's no bad day if you have a good book.

Offline Maura

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: March 12, 2020, 10:34:05 pm »
    My Oasis 3 just updated to 5.12.4 tonight, and it has the "over the next few weeks..." message.

Offline jkingrph

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: March 13, 2020, 01:09:32 pm »
    Strange that some of you are seeing the update, but when I go to the kindle update site it only shows 5.12.3!

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: March 13, 2020, 02:42:43 pm »
    Yeah, mine came automatically to a couple of my devices. Weird that it's not available to install manually, though.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: March 13, 2020, 04:26:46 pm »
    It was available to download.  I downloaded it and installed it on one Kindle on the first day it was available.  Then I had an accident and I've been in rehab so I haven't installed it on the others.  I probably won't when I get home tomorrow after reading about the problems.  However I do have that updated Kindle with me in rehab and it's been trouble-free.

Barry

Offline jkingrph

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: March 14, 2020, 05:50:14 pm »
    Two of three of the devices in the household updated sometime today, the new paperwhite has not.  This is actually the first time any of the ereaders has updated automatically.

Offline Fogeydc

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: March 15, 2020, 08:59:23 am »
    My three newer Kindles have updated (O1, O3, PW?2017?).
    I've never done a manual update, I just let it happen when it wants to.
    I didn't even notice there'd been an update until this thread came up & I went & looked after a while.

Offline ShinyTop

• Pensacola
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: March 15, 2020, 07:27:25 pm »
    It was available for download.  I updated two Oasis 1, 1 Oasis 2, and 1 Voyage.
    Its unlucky to be superstitious.

Offline hamerfan

• Turtleback
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: March 16, 2020, 10:33:08 am »
    The PW7 here updated itself sometime to 5.12.4
    The PW6 here is at 5.12.2
    Carpe Manana

Offline LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: March 16, 2020, 01:08:57 pm »
    I left mine off airplane mode overnight and it updated sometime through the hours. I didn't get any sort of message about the update and I can't find one single thing different, other than the version number in the about page.
    My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    There's no bad day if you have a good book.

Offline jkingrph

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: March 16, 2020, 03:40:54 pm »
    PW 10 still has not updated,  Maybe older devices are getting it first??

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: March 17, 2020, 05:21:15 am »
    My PW has it .... I think it's the latest generation -- the one with the flush screen. I've noticed not change in operation or functions so far.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline jkingrph

• View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: March 18, 2020, 11:48:00 am »
    My paperwhite updated this morning, 4 days after the voyage and oasis.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement