Author Topic: Can a Kindle be cleaned with disinfectant wipes?  (Read 832 times)  

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
  • Five-Star Ranking Agent 337
    • View Profile
Can a Kindle be cleaned with disinfectant wipes?
« on: March 12, 2020, 02:48:14 pm »
Apple recently updated its website to confirm that iPhones, iPads, etc. can be cleaned with disinfectant Clorox/Lysol wipes.

How do you guys clean your Kindle?

This is obviously a topical post and legitimate concern because of the Coronavirus pandemic outbreak.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
    • Kindle Voyage Wi-Fi
      • View Profile
    Re: Can a Kindle be cleaned with disinfectant wipes?
    « Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 03:05:03 pm »
    Ive used those LCD wipes on the screen and alcohol wipes on the back (and on non-fabric covers).

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
    • Kindle Voyage Wi-Fi
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 03:14:03 pm »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
    • Kindle Voyage Wi-Fi
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 03:14:33 pm »
    So... worthless suggestion from Kindle support chat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 06:33:52 pm »
    I use a clorox brand wipe on my kindle, tablet, and phone with no ill effects.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 07:38:44 pm »
    Well, those hand sanitizers have alcohol in it in high amounts as active ingredient. So any alcohol based wipe? Like the eyeglass zeiss ones. Clorox, just make sure not to use those extra scrubbing kind ones. Just the regular ones.

I don't use any cleaners on my kindles, even now. Just a moist eyeglass cleaner cloth, or microfiber cloth. Even now its all I use. But my hands get washed like a fiend. Like I have hot pepper juice on them and i am about to touch my eye. Very thorough, all day long. Just soap though. Folks here cleaned out all the antibacterial stuff and rubbing alcohol and sanitizers.

I think the surface of the Oasis is more durable than some of the older kindles though. Isn't that more like glass, instead of plastic? That might make a difference what to use on it.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 05:26:03 am »
    I don't like using the "disinfectant" wipes on screens.  It's probably a holdover from older screen technology, but I can't get around it.  I do use the alcohol wipes that I keep for my glasses on my Kindle, tablet, and phone screens. 
    I think Atunah is right though.  If you keep your hands clean and watch where you put your Kindle, you probably don't have to worry too much about it.

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
    • Kindle Voyage Wi-Fi
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 06:05:48 am »
    I think that that any of the wipes that contain alcohol are bad for the Kindles with plastic screens. I don't even recall which Kindles have glass screens. Although I suppose if you've put a screen protector on, the actual screen wouldn't be affected by the alcohol.

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: March 14, 2020, 09:05:29 am »
    I've used the same alcohol wipes that I use for my glasses for some time now - I always figured if they're safe to use on spectacle lenses they'll be safe to use on a Kindle screen.

I use them on my phone and tablet as well and I've never had any problems.
    Linda

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: March 15, 2020, 07:10:59 am »
    I only clean my glasses with soapy water and wipe them dry with either a cloth towel or toilet paper. Other papers have pumice or other abrasives added.  Toilet paper is one of the few that doesn't.

I avoid cleaning my Kindles until I just have to and then I clean them with a carefully wrung out damp sponge and wipe them dry with a cloth towel.  I do pretty much the same with computer screens, cleaning them only when I have to with a barely damp sponge.

Barry

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: March 15, 2020, 09:05:05 am »
    I think the OP's question here was not so much how we clean our Kindles and other electronics, but whether you can disinfect your Kindle with appropriate materials.  The responses indicate we have, we do, you can.  Plain water/damp cloths may be just fine for cleaning, it won't disinfect.

Stay safe everybody.

Offline jkingrph

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 11:56:06 am »
    "if" at some point I choose to disinfect mine, it will be with a paper towel dampened with rubbing alcohol, either 70 or 99% whatever I have. I will not spray on or get the device "wet" with disinfectant, which would be best for efficient disinfecting, but probably not so good good for the device, you just never know how good seals are, and my e readers all have at least three places, on off switch and charging port, plus charging indicator light.  My Oasis has two more buttons.   Anything chlorox (sodium hypochlorite) is absolutely out of the question as it is highly basic in nature, think lye, and is corrosive and not good for any thing electronic or mechanical.

Offline ShinyTop

• Pensacola
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: March 18, 2020, 02:51:33 pm »
    Clorox Disinfecting wipes contain no bleach according to label.  I am not enough of a scientists to tell you what the active ingredients mean.
    Its unlucky to be superstitious.

Offline jkingrph

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 07:25:50 pm »
    I have not seen or read the labels on any of the disinfecting wipes , and simply thought Clorox meant Clorox!  Being in the health professions, i will continue to wash my hands well, and just clean my kindles and iPad, iPhone with a towel dampened with Windex. Even as a pharmacist, reading some of the ingredients on labels is confusing and meaningless, there are so many obscure chemical compounds out there, many are simple modifications of another compound and how are we to know how good or effective they are.  I look for some of the products containing compounds from my younger days that I know about.
    « Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 07:29:52 pm by jkingrph »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement