Author Topic: Is Anyone a PNR or UF Fan?  (Read 75890 times)  

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
Re: Is Anyone a PNR or UF Fan?
« Reply #625 on: December 03, 2019, 04:15:26 pm »
It's been a little while since anyone has posted here, but for those of you still subscribed.....

Three Mages and a Margarita by Annette Marie is on sale this weekend for $0.99. The whole series (currently 4 books plus a new spinoff) is also in KU if you want to give it a try. There are so few UF series that I follow these days, but this is a good one. I just finished the fourth book, with another out next month. Well-written, few grammar errors, good pacing, a prickly heroine who is likable once you get to know her, and 3 hot mages whom she becomes friends and gets into adventures with. The thing is, the title makes it seems like a reverse harem story (which seems to be all the rage these days), but it definitely is NOT one, in fact there's very little romance at all. This really is pretty much straight UF. I definitely recommend it.

Thanks for recommending this!  I just finished the first one and it was a fun ride and a pretty quick read.  I really liked the characters, their relationships with each other, and the story moved along at a good pace.  I've taken the plunge and got the next 4 in the series. 

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #626 on: December 03, 2019, 08:16:12 pm »
    Thanks for recommending this!  I just finished the first one and it was a fun ride and a pretty quick read.  I really liked the characters, their relationships with each other, and the story moved along at a good pace.  I've taken the plunge and got the next 4 in the series. 

Oh wow, that is quite the rec if you went to get the next 4. I have a sample of it on my kindle from the original rec, but I just haven't gotten to it yet.

The new Chloe Neill is out to. The second in the next gen series. But I have realized something. When books take this long to come out in series, I can't remember a darn thing about the previous. As is the case in the Heirs of Chicago land. I am literally drawing a blank and I read the first one. I have no clue. Maybe once I read it. I think from now on I'll wait until there are a few in a series before I start. I think its especially true of UF stuff as its so connected and building on the last. A year is just too long for me to wait and remember. Too old for that stuff.

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #627 on: December 03, 2019, 09:00:41 pm »

They are not that long so I though I'd just go for it.  They also are available in Kindle Unlimited.  I have a long appointment tomorrow so I don't want to run out of reading material!  I haven't read anything in this genre for quite a while and it's a good diversion for me.

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
    « Reply #628 on: December 04, 2019, 02:01:38 pm »
    The new Chloe Neill is out to. The second in the next gen series. But I have realized something. When books take this long to come out in series, I can't remember a darn thing about the previous......I think from now on I'll wait until there are a few in a series before I start. I think its especially true of UF stuff as its so connected and building on the last. A year is just too long for me to wait and remember. Too old for that stuff.

So true! And then, if I cant remember the details, I feel like I need to reread before I start the new book, but my TBR mountain is so towering that I dont want to reread anything, so instead, I fall behind in the series and then Ill NEVER catch up.

Aside from them being fast, fun reads, another reason I like the Annette Marie series is that they are self published so she gets a new one out every few months. That way I dont lose track of the details and fall behind. With traditional publishing, sometimes the author just writes at a slower pace, but other times, its the publishing company that slows the author down and forces a yearly release schedule.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #629 on: December 05, 2019, 06:32:53 am »
    Maybe it just didn't bother me as much in the past. I mean publishing schedules outside of indy have always been like that. Maybe even slower. But I am fairly new to reading stuff like UF (10 years), which is a bit more connected from book to book than say romance type series. Although even there I can get grumpy when I feel like I should know this character already, but can't pull it out of my brain a year down the road. A few months is about a good time for my brain to still keep on top mostly. But most of those series have a year and there are usually a lot of books read in between. I say usually as I had a really bad reading year this year. Making me sad as I wasn't able to even make a dent in my mountain.  :(.
    Its a sad state when I look at my goodreads reading challenge and see I read 190 books in 2009. My first full year with my kindle. This year I am lucky to make it to 50.  :(

And that's the other thing. If those year in between books authors suddenly released them every 4-5 months, I'd never even have a breath of chance to catching up on anything ever again. So there is that.

We'll just have to live forever.  ;D

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #630 on: January 26, 2020, 09:05:03 am »
    So Chloe Neill is starting a new series, coming out in November this year.

No cover yet. Looks like a historical fantasy with viscounts, queens, and ships. Its apparently sea fearing based so that perks my ears up.  ;D. Then I read how the author describes it
    It's Pride & Prejudice . . . with magic . . . on a boat
    Yep, I am in. Sold. I will be boarding that vessel. ;D

Needless to say, at $11.99, I won't be pre-ordering.
    « Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 09:09:35 am by Atunah »

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #631 on: January 26, 2020, 11:37:49 am »
    Darynda Jones is releasing a Charley Davidson novella in June!

She has released a couple of other novellas in the Charley universe, but as I am never too excited about novellas, I haven't read them. This one sounds like it could be the precursor to the on-going story of "Beep" and those protecting her and joining her in the continuing quest against evil.  The blurb does say, however, that it is a standalone story and a bonus book of the Charley series.  Nevertheless, I have pre-ordered this one.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #632 on: January 26, 2020, 03:32:31 pm »
    I always wanted to see more of Osh. He was a interesting character. If you looked past the soul eating that is.  ;D

Offline Wisteria Clematis

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
    « Reply #633 on: January 29, 2020, 08:57:51 am »
    Just read a stellar review on AAR of a book coming out next week by Milla Vane (this is another pen name for Meljean Brook). I may have to give this one a try.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #634 on: January 29, 2020, 11:11:47 am »
    That sounds interesting. I see many great reviews, but also some on the opposite end on reviewers I follow on sites like goodreads.

And lookey here, someone can put out new books for $7.99 and not 14.99. Good on Berkley. If it doesn't get to libraries soon enough, at least it wont be above my threshold.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #635 on: May 01, 2020, 06:23:54 pm »
    Just finished "Smoke Bitten" the latest Patricia Briggs Mercy book and I loooooooooooooved it. Gosh I love that series. Loved reading this one. So immersive and just what I needed right now. For about 4 hours I was gone from real life and totally inside a book. I love this about reading really good books. I just get in and stay there. Even after now 12 books, this series is still so good. I really wanted to keep reading, like a lot. I did not want to leave.  :(

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #636 on: May 02, 2020, 09:37:42 am »
    I've never read any of that series for some unknown reason... I seem to recall a spin off/related series that I read but never got around to that one.  It looks like many are available on OverDrive so I have a new series to start on.  Thanks for the reminder!

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #637 on: May 02, 2020, 10:08:12 am »
    I LOVE both the Mercy Thompson & Alpha/Omega series by Patricia.
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #638 on: May 02, 2020, 02:30:25 pm »
    Yes, thank you, Alpha/Omega was the name of that series.  I remember enjoying that one but don't know why I never tried Mercy Thompson.  I'm on the waiting list for the first installment at overdrive.

Offline AnthonyBrown86

• View Profile
    « Reply #639 on: May 03, 2020, 05:27:56 pm »
    A couple of UF deals today:

Royal Street by Suzanne Johnson - $2.99. I've read both this one and the second book, River Road. I enjoyed it, and the second was even better. The books are set in New Orleans (the author lived there, and it shows) and feature wizards, shape shifters, vamps, elves, and the historical undead - basically, historical figures who are so famous that their memory keeps them alive and allows them to occasionally come to present day New Orleans. For example, the pirate Jean Lafitte features prominently in both books and he's sexy and funny. The books are definitely UF, with a protagonist, DJ, who is a wizard and an apprentice sentinel of the city of New Orleans. Her guardian, the main sentinel, disappears during Hurricane Katrina. She comes back to the city after evacuating, to find that the supernatural barriers have been breached by the storm and she has to clean up the mess. Since this is the first book in a series, there's a fair amount of worldbuilding, but it was done very well and without infodumps or breaks in the story. DJ is in her early 20's and has been rather sheltered, so she's a bit immature in this book, but the second book takes place 2 years later, and she definitely grows and matures.

The Trouble With Fate - Leigh Evans - $2.99. I haven't read this one, but it was on my wish list. I'll be reading the sample today (and probably buying  ;)).

I read only "The trouble with fate"
    Good reading

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #640 on: May 03, 2020, 07:14:35 pm »
    Holy moly someone went way back in this thread  :o

Gonna check i out, don't remember  7 years ago.

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #641 on: May 04, 2020, 08:23:50 pm »
    I've read some of the Suzanne Johnson books and remember enjoying them... very different premise from other UF series.  I need to look them up to see if she's added to the series since I read the last one.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement