Author Topic: Kindle E-Readers - Software Update 5.13.3  (Read 970 times)  

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
Kindle E-Readers - Software Update 5.13.3
« on: October 28, 2020, 01:09:36 pm »
Not sure exactly when this came out but my PW4 (or 10th Gen as Amazon call it) just automatically updated to v5.13.3.

It's also available for the Oasis, the Voyage and the previous PW. Updates here if you want to manually download.

Version 5.13.3 October 2020
Heres what's new:

Kindle User Guide: The Kindle User Guide moved to the Help menu in Settings. Your old guides are saved to a User Guides folder at the end of your Library.

Kindle Unlimited / Prime Badging on Home: Subscribers can see which books from their home recommendations can be borrowed for free from Kindle Unlimited or Prime Reading.

Performance improvements, bug fixes and other general enhancements.
Linda

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline jkingrph

• View Profile
    Re: Kindle E-Readers - Software Update 5.13.3
    « Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 03:10:14 pm »
    Thanks for the notice and link.

It would be great if stickies could be created to post links to updates for both the e readers and tablet models.

I don't know why, maybe it's location or my ISP, but automatic update downloads are extemely slow, and most often never seem to happen, so I manually update everything.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 04:53:37 am »
    My PW and Voyage seem to be on the current version. No idea when they updated. I expect the Oasis is as well.

I did notice the other day I was looking for something in settings and saw some notice on a page that "some" options had moved. Specifically, Popular Highlights, Book Mentions, and Word Wise are no longer in Reading Options but available in the Aa menu while in a book. What I think that means is that you can set them differently depending on what you're reading by using the "Themes".

So I set everything the way I like it and have it on a 'custom' theme that I use for everything. But it looks like I can make more than one custom theme to use depending on what I'm reading -- say make something different for non-fiction vs fiction. The settings include font and layout but also those other things. I may have to experiment some -- right now I just read everything the same. That said, I'm pretty sure once you set a theme it stays 'til you change it. What I mean is, I don't think you can tie a theme to a book so that when you open book A it automatically sets to One Theme and when you open book B it automatically sets to Other Theme. If I get motivated, I may play with this some, though, as it could be more useful than I've been assuming. :D
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Paperbackstash

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 08:24:13 pm »
    My PW and Voyage seem to be on the current version. No idea when they updated. I expect the Oasis is as well.

I did notice the other day I was looking for something in settings and saw some notice on a page that "some" options had moved. Specifically, Popular Highlights, Book Mentions, and Word Wise are no longer in Reading Options but available in the Aa menu while in a book. What I think that means is that you can set them differently depending on what you're reading by using the "Themes".

So I set everything the way I like it and have it on a 'custom' theme that I use for everything. But it looks like I can make more than one custom theme to use depending on what I'm reading -- say make something different for non-fiction vs fiction. The settings include font and layout but also those other things. I may have to experiment some -- right now I just read everything the same. That said, I'm pretty sure once you set a theme it stays 'til you change it. What I mean is, I don't think you can tie a theme to a book so that when you open book A it automatically sets to One Theme and when you open book B it automatically sets to Other Theme. If I get motivated, I may play with this some, though, as it could be more useful than I've been assuming. :D

I'm confused. Mine looks the same after the update. I don't have the options in my Aa menu, but where they were before in "About the book"
    Kindle Family:

Leviathan - Oasis 3
    Inis Odyssey - PW4
    Moonsliver - PW3
    Nostromo - Fire HD 8
    January Embers - Fire HD 2nd Gen

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 04:23:15 am »
    I'm confused. Mine looks the same after the update. I don't have the options in my Aa menu, but where they were before in "About the book"

I actually think the page options moved with the last update. Or maybe the one before that. I don't play with 'em much so never noticed in the main settings area that there was any sort of notice about it. Also -- it's a bit odd because you have to actually open a book to see some of them -- and a magazine or newspaper doesn't count. The Aa options for those things are different.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Paperbackstash

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 04:42:37 pm »
    I actually think the page options moved with the last update. Or maybe the one before that. I don't play with 'em much so never noticed in the main settings area that there was any sort of notice about it. Also -- it's a bit odd because you have to actually open a book to see some of them -- and a magazine or newspaper doesn't count. The Aa options for those things are different.

Ah, okay. I try to keep mine updated because I always have the feeling I'm missing out on something otherwise and get impatient, so I did know it changed the font menu a few updates back. That may be why you're seeing something you're not used to if you haven't updated in awhile.

With this update I'm not noticing any changes that affect me yet.
    Kindle Family:

Leviathan - Oasis 3
    Inis Odyssey - PW4
    Moonsliver - PW3
    Nostromo - Fire HD 8
    January Embers - Fire HD 2nd Gen

KBoards.com

• Advertisement