Author Topic: Automatic book downloads not working? (Paperwhite 4)  (Read 5823 times)  

Offline Paperbackstash

• View Profile
Re: Automatic book downloads not working? (Paperwhite 4)
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2020, 04:39:14 pm »
All books that I buy go into the All section and I have to go there to download them. It's not a huge deal...I check it once a week and move them to the Downloaded section of my kindle.

If you have your settings to send to your Kindle device and it doesn't, that is a type of bug. I agree with you it's not a big deal if you can just go and download it though. I kind of had the double-glitch -- they wouldn't download, and when I went to manually download, it keeps not actually downloading even though it says it is, and keeps repeating the queue cycle. Now THAT does bug me  :(

Kindle Family:

Leviathan - Oasis 3
Inis Odyssey - PW4
Moonsliver - PW3
Nostromo - Fire HD 8
January Embers - Fire HD 2nd Gen

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #51 on: November 09, 2020, 05:51:48 am »
    Are you on version 5.13.3? If not, try manually installing it. It fixed my Oasis 3 problems.
    My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    There's no bad day if you have a good book.

Offline Paperbackstash

• View Profile
    « Reply #52 on: November 09, 2020, 07:54:27 am »
    Are you on version 5.13.3? If not, try manually installing it. It fixed my Oasis 3 problems.

My problem randomly happens, not consistently. With my Oasis 3 I have the current version of 5.13.3. PW 4, not yet, I have to manually install the update at some point if it does not auto-update.  I have had this for 2 years, so I do not think firmware will completely fix it. I think it's something with internet system conflicts? That's the only thing I can figure. Perhaps one day it will be working fine and keep working fine, you never know. Hopefully the same for the other posters in the thread, it's a mysterious and quirky bug
    Kindle Family:

Leviathan - Oasis 3
    Inis Odyssey - PW4
    Moonsliver - PW3
    Nostromo - Fire HD 8
    January Embers - Fire HD 2nd Gen

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
    • Five-Star Ranking Agent 337
      • View Profile
    « Reply #53 on: November 09, 2020, 01:16:07 pm »

I wish I could say the same for my Paperwhite (2018 model). I did the latest update via computer for the first time in years, and while that was easy and seamless, it did not fix the automatic download problem for me. :( (I "bought" a free book for testing purposes.)

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
    • Five-Star Ranking Agent 337
      • View Profile
    « Reply #54 on: November 11, 2020, 09:26:35 pm »
    Update: Late last night/this morning, I turned on wi-fi and noticed two "Personal Letters" automatically appear in my download queue - for a library book and KOLL/Prime Reading (whichever it was) book, respectively - both of which I had returned weeks ago, if not months ago at this point. (Is there any way to disable that useless "Personal Letter" crap? I wonder if that was the bottleneck this whole time?)

Then I noticed the free book I "bought" the other day for testing purposes had also been downloaded. I am pretty certain I never got around to manually downloading it. A few of my most recent purchases also appear to have re-downloaded for some reason, even though they were already on the device.

Fingers crossed that this problem has finally been fixed. If so, it looks like LDB's advice may have indeed worked - just at a delay.

I'll try again tonight - another freebie book caught my eye - and report back tomorrow.

Update 2: I turned on wi-fi again, and even before the wi-fi bars appeared, my freebie showed up automatically as a queued download and was on my device less than a minute later. Looks like my Kindle is finally functioning properly again.

Thank you SO much, LDB.

Here's LDB's solution, BTW:

I have a Paperwhite 4 (2018), and downloading the update to my computer and manually installing it did indeed fix the automatic download issue with books. However, automatic book downloads didn't kick in for me right away - it took a couple more days before that functionality was restored on my Kindle, so be patient!
    « Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 02:26:30 pm by CS »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement