Author Topic: Mikkelsen Twins / Publishing Life are a SCAM!  (Read 26907 times)  

Offline Rachel Craft

• View Profile
Mikkelsen Twins / Publishing Life are a SCAM!
« on: March 16, 2020, 08:57:18 pm »
So I am on Youtube and researching about kindle publishing, and I'm seeing a LOT of ads from a pair of young guys called the Mikkelsen Twins. They claim to be making a six figure income from publishing with something called "ghost audio". Apparently the premise is, based on their presentation, that they outsource material and then publish it for profits. This sounds interesting but as anything with online marketing these days I'm a bit of a skeptic. I've done some research elsewhere and from what I can determine they aren't in cahoots with any "credible" authors or anyone in the publishing space.

Is it a scam and if so why in the world is Youtube allowing these guys to promote? What's the general consensus on these blokes?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 01:17:52 pm by Rachel Craft »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • Destroyer of Science Fiction
      • View Profile
      • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
    Re: Mikkelsen Twins / Audiobook Income Academy is it legitimate?
    « Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 09:32:24 pm »
    I don't know about these particular ones but the model is this:

Get a book of about 25k written and narrated as cheaply as possible. Distribute via ACX. Give out the 200 codes you get. Times 1000

ETA. at this point in time I'd call it a dodgy "scheme" not quite a scam because ACX legit allows you to do this. Of course now the audio selection clutters up with short stories of dubious quality and Amazon will act once it's had enough emails from p*ssed-off listeners about it or something else that equates bad PR for Amazon (bat phone to David Gaughran).

Offline Rachel Craft

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 09:36:35 pm »
    I don't know about these particular ones but the model is this:

Get a book of about 25k written and narrated as cheaply as possible. Distribute via ACX. Give out the 200 codes you get. Times 1000

I figured, but does anyone really need to pay their fee of 1000 bucks to learn something that is a short term hack at best? I thought there would be maybe more substance to it? Oh well. Lots of hucksters these days. I'll just keep a cautious eye with these internet marketers trying to milk publishing and move on.

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • Destroyer of Science Fiction
      • View Profile
      • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
    « Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 09:37:38 pm »
    I figured, but does anyone really need to pay their fee of 1000 bucks to learn something that is a short term hack at best? I thought there would be maybe more substance to it? Oh well. Lots of hucksters these days. I'll just keep a cautious eye with these internet marketers trying to milk publishing and move on.

YUP

But sadly it's been thus since about 2013

Offline MajesticMonkey

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 11:22:04 am »
    Look them up on youtube and see what kind of doofuses these guys are. Hint: they got banned for publishing Google translated books and have a lengthy video on that. These guys probably make more of their courses than their publishing. I'd look for more suitable teachers.

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 06:14:42 am »
    If it smells like monkey dung, get out of the jungle. Trust your gut.
    My Bestselling, 18-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  5-volume Charity Styles Series, also bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, wherever books are sold. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
    Wayne Stinnett | Website | Facebook | Amazon Author Page | Twitter | Talk Write Podcast | Ship's Store

Offline f2b4

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 06:55:34 am »
    Reminds me of the people who ran get-rich-in-real-estate infomercials back in the 80s. Most of them got rich by selling courses, not real estate. Before that were full-page newspaper ads promoting various get-rich schemes. Nearly, probably all, of them were schemes to get rich by selling courses to other suckers.

In the late 80s, early 90s, get-rich-with-government-auctions was all the rage, again, selling courses, not actually buying at auctions and selling. I was in the auction business at the time and loved to see those suckers come in with their pockets stuffed with C-notes that ended up in my pocket.

Offline unkownwriter

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 02:10:03 pm »
    Oh, honey, they make their money from you, and others like you, who pay them a thousand bucks for information that is either dodgy ethically, goes against TOS, or is outright illegal.

There is no easy money in writing. None. Everything requires time, effort, knowledge and money. ROI for most is negligible, if there's any at all. Write because you can't not write. Learn the publishing business, and marketing, or go for the traditional publishing contract (and you'll still need the marketing), but don't fall for that easy passive income nonsense.

Offline jb1111

• PNW US
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 05:56:12 pm »
    Another fellow KBoarder posted a couple links to their videos a few months back. They reminded me of Wayne's World without the air guitar.

There are probably tons of people trying to make money telling you how to make a fast buck on the Zon.

Some of them may be legit, I wouldn't really know personally as don't follow any of them. I'd rather trust what I read here and a couple other places where the actual authors hang out. Just my two cents on it.

Offline clare30690

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 11:09:53 am »
    I was also curious, and finally, I thought I'd give it a try. Thinking about the worst-case I'll ask for a refund. But when I joined the course, and the FB community group I realized that this really works. All you need is to learn and show the dedication to apply what you learn. The results are not the same for everyone, I just started week 2 of the course now and tbh I learned a lot. Not sure if I'm gonna get the results like others in the group who's making 10k or more p.m. but it's worth the price and a legitimate one. They do live Q&A call biweekly, this made me satisfied that people are real and I can ask all my questions.

Offline antcurious

• View Profile
      • JK NEVE.COM
    « Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 12:29:31 pm »
    I was also curious, and finally, I thought I'd give it a try. Thinking about the worst-case I'll ask for a refund. But when I joined the course, and the FB community group I realized that this really works. All you need is to learn and show the dedication to apply what you learn. The results are not the same for everyone, I just started week 2 of the course now and tbh I learned a lot. Not sure if I'm gonna get the results like others in the group who's making 10k or more p.m. but it's worth the price and a legitimate one. They do live Q&A call biweekly, this made me satisfied that people are real and I can ask all my questions.

Absolutely nothing dodgy about this 1st post at all.

JK Neve | Goodreads

Offline TaraCrescent

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: June 01, 2020, 01:04:30 pm »
    Not to mention that if the path to riches involves the money you make from giving away your audiobook codes, Amazon has closed that particular loophole.

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
      • Golden Elm Publishing
    « Reply #12 on: June 01, 2020, 01:05:04 pm »
    And this is why ACX codes no longer give you money.

Online wearywanderer64

• Spain
    • I wander lonely as a cloud
      • View Profile
      • Scribbling Tales
    « Reply #13 on: June 01, 2020, 03:09:08 pm »
    I remember we had a guy on here once asking for advice on how to sell his book. Guess what it was about.

-------------------------------------------MARKETING-----------------------------------------

You couldn't make it up.

A.T. Mahon | Scribbling Tales

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: June 01, 2020, 05:11:00 pm »
    If it looks too good to be true, it is.

If it's a "secret" to making money, nobody will be selling it to you. They will use it themselves.

If you ever wonder about any of these schemes, just put in the name of the product, course or proponent, and the word "scam," and see what comes up.

Offline Drathaar

• View Profile
    Re: Mikkelsen Twins / Publishing Life are a SCAM!
    « Reply #15 on: August 08, 2020, 10:08:16 pm »
    These two jokers have lost their Amazon accounts - KDP, Merch, and ACX. Before handing them your money, ask yourself why. Black hat tactics. Amazon always finds out. They've lost the support of all the reputable people in the business. They started out with a bang. I liked them. I even bought their course, something I'm not proud of now. Ashamed is a better word.

They have, or had, a video about getting review swaps. Not saying they were bad, saying you had to do them. Christian lost his KDP account for using software to translate books to Spanish. I pay a translater just to translate t-shirts! He used software for books. That's the kind of shady crap you'll learn from these two. Don't do it. A lot of people have lost their accounts because of these guys. Don't be one of them.

One of the things they taught was to find two top-selling authors in audiobook niches, switch their names and have co-authors (Jack Roberts and Julie Harrison become Jack Harrison and Julie Roberts.) If you could talk a narrator into using a pen name, you'd have one for the author and one for the narrator. They figured out author names are searchable keywords. It didn't matter what order they were in. This got people banned.

ACX banned all their accounts and really don't like them. If you ever talk to their customer service, never mention you took their course (if you did) them might just instaban you.

Offline unkownwriter

• View Profile
    Re: Mikkelsen Twins / Publishing Life are a SCAM!
    « Reply #16 on: August 10, 2020, 03:40:02 pm »
    Absolutely nothing dodgy about this 1st post at all.

Nothing at all. :O

LOL It's a typical tactic, to get someone to join up and post a glowing review of whatever is being sold. See it all the time.

If it looks too good to be true, it is.

If it's a "secret" to making money, nobody will be selling it to you. They will use it themselves.

If you ever wonder about any of these schemes, just put in the name of the product, course or proponent, and the word "scam," and see what comes up.

People would be a lot better off if they would follow David's advice. Sadly, so many get caught up in the thrill of something, in being told how easy it is to make money with no investment or effort at all.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement