Author Topic: How much do you pay a proofreader?  (Read 1528 times)  

Offline InfinitiveEditing

• View Profile
    • Infinitive Editing
Re: How much do you pay a proofreader?
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2020, 12:22:00 pm »
My rate is $0.008/word for proofreading, but it definitely varies.

For those concerned about the quality they're getting, I would say that most who charge in the realm of $0.002-0.005/word are probably not putting in the time and effort necessary to do a good job (that, or they're willing to accept a very low hourly wage). I and many other copyeditors/proofreaders offer sample editing of the first few pages of your manuscript, which is a good way to tell how thorough an editor is being. That said, by the time your manuscript is ready to be proofread, most significant errors should already have been fixed in the copyediting process. Proofreading is to catch any lingering typos, missed or repeated words, formatting errors, etc.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 12:24:30 pm by InfinitiveEditing »
Affordable, high-quality copyediting and proofreading
https://infinitiveediting.weebly.com/

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #26 on: July 31, 2020, 02:12:50 pm »
    I won't give exact numbers I pay providers, because many of them are on here and different people pay different prices. That said, before a book is released, I will have spent over $6,000, which includes editing, proofing, formatting, cover design, and audio narration.

You get what you pay for. I pay for top quality work by some of the industries leading professionals. And that's what I get. My current work-in-progress has over 3700 preorders. It won't be released until the end of August, but has already earned back the expense to the tune of about 400%.
    My Bestselling, 18-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  5-volume Charity Styles Series, also Bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, with many more exciting adventures to come. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
    Wayne Stinnett | Website | Facebook | Amazon Author Page | Twitter | Motivational Videos | Ship's Store

Offline Clay

• View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: July 31, 2020, 05:37:26 pm »
    My rate is $0.008/word for proofreading, but it definitely varies.

For those concerned about the quality they're getting, I would say that most who charge in the realm of $0.002-0.005/word are probably not putting in the time and effort necessary to do a good job (that, or they're willing to accept a very low hourly wage).

I disagree. Some of you are posting your proofreading rates and your prices are almost as high as your own rates for copyediting. Most people with a 100k+ word novel who just paid a thousand dollars for a decent copyedit and have a clean book aren't going to want to pay another thousand for a proofreader who will probably only find a handful of typos and homonyms.

In my experience most editors with really high proofreading rates only charge that much because either they hate proofreading, so charge a lot to make it worth their time, or they don't want proofread only clients so they charge a lot so that they can sell more "discount" bundles for copyedit/proofread packages.

You can find LOTS of great proofreaders for those lower rates you mentioned.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement