Author Topic: Kindle 2nd Generation Update  (Read 328 times)  

Offline aford1982

• View Profile
Kindle 2nd Generation Update
« on: April 12, 2020, 10:32:52 am »
Hi All,

I think I missed out, but is there anyway to update my kindle 2nd generation?  I really haven't used it in a number of years/  It's running on Kindle 2.5.3 but I can't find the update file on amazon anymore.

Suggestions other than buy a new one?

Thanks in advance

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline OnOneWheel

• View Profile
    Re: Kindle 2nd Generation Update
    « Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 10:42:20 am »
    On the Amazon site they call it Kindle Paperwhite (6th Generation). Confusing I know. The latest update for it is 5.12.2.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredownloads/update_kindle_paperwhite_v2_5.12.2.bin

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    Re: Kindle 2nd Generation Update
    « Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 12:50:01 pm »
    Here's the information, as taken from the Kindle software update page, regarding the current firmware version for the 2nd generation Kindle:

Your serial number starts with B002 download this file.
        After your device has fully updated, download and install the Kindle Services Update.

Note: If you have a software version before 2.3, download and install Software Update 2.3 first, and then complete the steps above.

Your serial number starts with B003 download this file.
        After your device has fully updated, download and install the Kindle Services Update.

Note: If you have a software version before 2.3, download and install Software Update 2.3 first, and then complete the steps above.

Here's a link to the same page: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GKMQC26VQQMM8XSW

If yours is on 2.5.3, it is lacking an update, but, practically, you probably won't see much difference. For, example, it will NOT have many of the features available on newer (since 2016 or so) kindles. To update it you'd have to download the file and connect your kindle via USB to your computer to manually update it. It can not be done wirelessly.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement