Author Topic: Prompts  (Read 1900 times)  

Offline D. Roman

• View Profile
Prompts
« on: April 13, 2020, 04:46:21 pm »
I'm going to post some prompts in this thread.  I'll try to do this at least once a week if not daily. (We'll see how that goes :P)

If there is already a story prompt thread please feel free to move me over.  I didn't see it in my search.

Use these prompts as you see fit in your writing.  Also, if you have prompts you want to share have it.  My goal is just to encourage writing and creativity. 

All the best and keep writing.

D. Roman

Today's Prompt

Tiffany knew it wasn't going to work out the minute she walked in the room.  There was no way she was going to allow that...

D. Roman

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Undercover Writer

• View Profile
    Re: Prompts
    « Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 09:05:25 pm »
    ...cheating David back into her life.  So, she decided that she had to...

Offline VisitasKeat

• Following my characters. Wherever they take me.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 10:09:13 pm »
    I have a character "Tightass Tiffany" in my lifelong fantasy series. She becomes the next Hostel Manager as the current woman, Talia, actually happens to be from another planet, a secret that only MC and her friends know.

Tiffany knew it wasn't going to work out the minute she walked in the room. There was no way she was going to allow that. The building 5 girls just don't like transgenders occupying the top floor. Tiffany knows that very well and she hates all of them. Now, isn't this an excellent opportunity to mock Rachel and others? Moreover, she can get the grapevine to  gossip about affairs between those girls and the transgenders -- Vickie, Jebbie, Prince, Pearl, and Shyla. A way to create social stigma against them in college. Tiffany is close to the landlords, the Callaghan brothers, after all. Will they even listen to Talia who just has a couple of weeks left in the office?

Offline D. Roman

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 06:06:50 pm »
    Prompt for April 14th

Tonight was the night.  Derek lifted the cellphone in his hand and called her.  He was finally going to tell her that...

D. Roman
    « Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 09:58:21 pm by D. Roman »
    D. Roman

Offline D. Roman

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 04:38:53 pm »
    Take these as you will.  I'm just hoping to encourage people to find some spark in here.

Be Well.

D. Roman

Today's Prompt

Sarah rubbed her eyes and reached for the blinker as she approached the exit.  Her hand hesitated and she realized that...
    « Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 04:51:49 pm by D. Roman »
    D. Roman

Offline RockWhitehouse

• Northeast Ohio
      • View Profile
      • iscfleet.com
    « Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 06:25:54 pm »
    Was his hand named 'her' or was it the phone?

Offline D. Roman

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 10:03:00 pm »
    Was his hand named 'her' or was it the phone?

LOL - typo.  I forgot the "and" in the sentence.

Thanks,

D.
    D. Roman

Offline VisitasKeat

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 01:42:43 am »
    The late night horror movie was long over and Sarah had dozed off, terribly drunk, somewhere during the second half. Her friends hadn't bothered to wake her up. They had giggled and deserted her. Nor had the cleaners at the movie house bothered to come along and check for abandoned bags, phones, condoms, and other stuff.

Sarah lay slumped in a  seat near the wall. She turned her head left and right as she regained consciousness.

Sarah realized what had happened. She gathered all her energy and dragged her body out of the row, often stumbling against the arms of the chairs. After much struggle, she stood steady on the ramp. Sarah felt dizzy and confused. She had boozed too much. She, however, walked with determination and conscious effort.

Sarah rubbed her eyes and reached for the blinker as she approached the exit.  Her hand hesitated and she realized that a little girl was weeping in the dark auditorium. It was a large circular space and she was right in the middle of the ramp, The weeping sounds came in brief pauses. It was a muffled tone, possibly that of a ten year old girl.

Sarah turned around. "Hello, anybody in there?" She picked up a pen torch from her hand bag and shined it around. The weeping stopped and the thin beam only illuminated vacant seats. Sarah's head hurt. "Perhaps, it's booze," she thought. She turned around and climbed up the ramp. As she neared the exit, the weeping started off yet again.

Sarah turned back, and this time she saw a little girl clad in an all white attire standing at the front row, right in front of the screen. Her white hair was all loosened up and it was almost till her skirt. Strangely, the little girl was staring at the screen.

Perplexed, Sarah walked down the ramp. "Hey, kiddo, so your momma left you behind? Perhaps, you disobeyed? Come, I will take you home in my car!"

Sarah walked steadily towards the girl.

The girl, however, didn't even bother to turn around. Strangely, she stopped crying.

Sarah touched her shoulder. "Good girl! You stopped crying! So, what happened? Did you cry out of fear of darkness? Did you fight with your mom? Tell me!"

"I want to watch the movie, once again, now."
    The girl turned around for the very first time and faced Sarah.

And Sarah screamed.

The girl's face was dead white, and her eyes appeared bored out. Those sockets were bleeding. And flies emerged out of the girl's mouth as she stuck out her bloodied tongue at Sarah. "I want to watch the movie once again."

Offline D. Roman

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 04:29:27 am »
    The late night horror movie was long over and Sarah had dozed off, terribly drunk, somewhere during the second half. Her friends hadn't bothered to wake her up. They had giggled and deserted her. Nor had the cleaners at the movie house bothered to come along and check for abandoned bags, phones, condoms, and other stuff.

Sarah lay slumped in a  seat near the wall. She turned her head left and right as she regained consciousness.

Sarah realized what had happened. She gathered all her energy and dragged her body out of the row, often stumbling against the arms of the chairs. After much struggle, she stood steady on the ramp. Sarah felt dizzy and confused. She had boozed too much. She, however, walked with determination and conscious effort.

Sarah rubbed her eyes and reached for the blinker as she approached the exit.  Her hand hesitated and she realized that a little girl was weeping in the dark auditorium. It was a large circular space and she was right in the middle of the ramp, The weeping sounds came in brief pauses. It was a muffled tone, possibly that of a ten year old girl.

Sarah turned around. "Hello, anybody in there?" She picked up a pen torch from her hand bag and shined it around. The weeping stopped and the thin beam only illuminated vacant seats. Sarah's head hurt. "Perhaps, it's booze," she thought. She turned around and climbed up the ramp. As she neared the exit, the weeping started off yet again.

Sarah turned back, and this time she saw a little girl clad in an all white attire standing at the front row, right in front of the screen. Her white hair was all loosened up and it was almost till her skirt. Strangely, the little girl was staring at the screen.

Perplexed, Sarah walked down the ramp. "Hey, kiddo, so your momma left you behind? Perhaps, you disobeyed? Come, I will take you home in my car!"

Sarah walked steadily towards the girl.

The girl, however, didn't even bother to turn around. Strangely, she stopped crying.

Sarah touched her shoulder. "Good girl! You stopped crying! So, what happened? Did you cry out of fear of darkness? Did you fight with your mom? Tell me!"

"I want to watch the movie, once again, now."
    The girl turned around for the very first time and faced Sarah.

And Sarah screamed.

The girl's face was dead white, and her eyes appeared bored out. Those sockets were bleeding. And flies emerged out of the girl's mouth as she stuck out her bloodied tongue at Sarah. "I want to watch the movie once again."

Wow!  Nice short story!
    D. Roman

Offline D. Roman

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 04:31:10 am »
    Prompt for Today

Darrien slowly pulled his sword from his sheath and stared down into the abyss.  He lowered his foot onto the slimy stone step below and he heard...

D. Roman

Offline VisitasKeat

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 08:31:13 am »
    Darrien slowly pulled his sword from his sheath and stared down into the abyss.  He lowered his foot onto the slimy stone step below and he heard the neigh of a...Darrien couldn't believe his eyes...it was an unicorn trotting into the deep woods.

Darren had heard about these stories. They were part of the village folklore. Now he realized that the elders in his mountain village were telling the truth. Darren had originally planned to hunt down some wild boar for food, but now? What if he brings back the unicorn's horn? Even the mythical horse itself on his shoulders? He would become the hero of his village folks. He can sell the horn in the market for a good price. He will become rich.

Darrien hurried down the stony steps. It had rained last night and the path was slippery and dangerous but Darrien didn't care. He stashed his sword inside the sheath, wore back his mask, wrapped his bow and javelin around his chest, and simply rolled down the steps.

In a matter of minutes he had touched upon the foot of the forest.

It was a thick forest, full of densely packed trees and wild shrubbery. Wild boars aplenty, they were what ended up on every villager's dining table.

Darrien simply ran in the direction of the unicorn. The sun fought it's way through the thick early morning fog, and through the foliage, as it guided the young and brave hunter. There were paths the village hunters knew. And he knew them very well too, for he himself was an ace hunter.

Darrien ran along one of the several red roads made by the hunters. He ran in the direction dictated by his intuition... before suddenly freezing to a halt.

Darrien heard the unicorn's neigh once again.

He changed his course and began to run in the direction of the sound. It was off the beaten path and he had to wade through maze of trees, slushy waters, and thorny creepers.

The neigh grew louder and Darrien persisted. He finally sighted a clear dry land.

Darrien couldn't believe his eyes as he stared at the unicorn. He pulled out the sword from the sheath.

The unicorn stared back at him and neighed, even as it kicked mud with its legs.

They ran in crazy circles with Darrien attempting to kill the unicorn and chop off it's horn. The unicorn, however, was constantly getting the better of Darrien -- it would slow whenever he slowed but would speed whenever he quickened his pace.

Darrien, hopeless and totally out of sorts, ultimately tripped and fell flat on the earth.

All became silent for a couple of minutes.

Gradually, Darrien recovered, unmasked, and stared out.

The unicorn was standing right in front of him, on the perimeter of the land.

Now, it started walking on the perimeter.

And Darren's dazed eyes swept the area.

Darrien clearly saw the marks made by his shoes but was shocked to find that the unicorn hadn't left behind any footprints.

Offline D. Roman

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: April 18, 2020, 09:58:15 am »
    Darrien slowly pulled his sword from his sheath and stared down into the abyss.  He lowered his foot onto the slimy stone step below and he heard the neigh of a...Darrien couldn't believe his eyes...it was an unicorn trotting into the deep woods.

Darren had heard about these stories. They were part of the village folklore. Now he realized that the elders in his mountain village were telling the truth. Darren had originally planned to hunt down some wild boar for food, but now? What if he brings back the unicorn's horn? Even the mythical horse itself on his shoulders? He would become the hero of his village folks. He can sell the horn in the market for a good price. He will become rich.

Darrien hurried down the stony steps. It had rained last night and the path was slippery and dangerous but Darrien didn't care. He stashed his sword inside the sheath, wore back his mask, wrapped his bow and javelin around his chest, and simply rolled down the steps.

In a matter of minutes he had touched upon the foot of the forest.

It was a thick forest, full of densely packed trees and wild shrubbery. Wild boars aplenty, they were what ended up on every villager's dining table.

Darrien simply ran in the direction of the unicorn. The sun fought it's way through the thick early morning fog, and through the foliage, as it guided the young and brave hunter. There were paths the village hunters knew. And he knew them very well too, for he himself was an ace hunter.

Darrien ran along one of the several red roads made by the hunters. He ran in the direction dictated by his intuition... before suddenly freezing to a halt.

Darrien heard the unicorn's neigh once again.

He changed his course and began to run in the direction of the sound. It was off the beaten path and he had to wade through maze of trees, slushy waters, and thorny creepers.

The neigh grew louder and Darrien persisted. He finally sighted a clear dry land.

Darrien couldn't believe his eyes as he stared at the unicorn. He pulled out the sword from the sheath.

The unicorn stared back at him and neighed, even as it kicked mud with its legs.

They ran in crazy circles with Darrien attempting to kill the unicorn and chop off it's horn. The unicorn, however, was constantly getting the better of Darrien -- it would slow whenever he slowed but would speed whenever he quickened his pace.

Darrien, hopeless and totally out of sorts, ultimately tripped and fell flat on the earth.

All became silent for a couple of minutes.

Gradually, Darrien recovered, unmasked, and stared out.

The unicorn was standing right in front of him, on the perimeter of the land.

Now, it started walking on the perimeter.

And Darren's dazed eyes swept the area.

Darrien clearly saw the marks made by his shoes but was shocked to find that the unicorn hadn't left behind any footprints.

Nice.  Was it all a dream?!

D.
    D. Roman

Offline Becca Mills

• Global Moderator
    • California
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: April 18, 2020, 06:39:02 pm »
    I've removed a post. Please keep in mind that we're a family friendly forum -- no profanity, no "adult" content.

Welcome! :)
    Read about using the Writers' Cafe here. Our larger "forum decorum" is here. The site's overall terms of use are here. Please be aware of this material.
    Troubleshooting: If you're having difficulties with advertising on KBoards, the contact email is [email protected] You can also use our PM system to contact the site's owners via the vsAdmin account. The Link-Maker and Author Signature Tool long longer function. There's a manual version of the former here and a workaround for the latter here.

Offline VisitasKeat

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: April 18, 2020, 08:28:55 pm »
    Nice.  Was it all a dream?!

D.

In the end, Darrien isn't able to ascertain whether the unicorn is real or merely an illusion created by his mind. Even if he brings back the villagers to this spot, he couldn't prove that he encountered an unicorn as no footprints are left behind. So, the idea of an unicorn continues to remain a fascinating myth, a mystery, in the minds of everyone in the village.

Offline VisitasKeat

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: April 19, 2020, 04:42:13 am »
    Prompt for April 14th

Tonight was the night.  Derek lifted the cellphone in his hand and called her.  He was finally going to tell her that...

D. Roman

Tonight was the night. Derek lifted the cellphone in his hand and called her. He was finally going to tell her that he was sorry. They hadn't spoken to each other for a week.

Derek had chosen Sasha over Emma for the chemistry project. Students have to wish a classmate for a project mate and they had to stand up and announce the name. When Derek's turn came, he wished for Sasha, the girl who had the best brains for the chemistry project. However, she happened to be a girl that Emma hated. And that was because Sasha had a crush over Emma's boyfriend, Derek.

Derek was terrible at chemistry. He was desperate to pass the paper. But so was the case with Emma.

The chemistry teacher, visibly surprised, had asked Derek, smilingly, "But isn't there a good chemistry already existing between you and Emma?" To which, Derek had curtly replied, "And to what extent would that help me with my grade? This is a different chemistry project!" The class had broken into rapturous laughter, upon which, Emma had walked out of the room abruptly.

"Listen, Emma," Derek pleaded, as he sat up on his bed. "I'm sorry, truly sorry to have insulted you in front of the class."

"Damn you, Derek..." Emma broke into tears, as she rested her elbows on the study table and cupped her chin.

"You know, Emma, I should've expressed myself in a polite manner. You know I'm in a tight corner."

Emma's crying sounds persisted on the other end of the phone.

"Damn," Derek cursed himself, as he punched the wall with frustration. "Listen, Emma, please, to my situation. Sasha isn't all that bad. I'm getting better at my chemistry. You know that she's the best when it comes to... "

Emma reconciled and pounced at the mention of her rival's name. "What excuse now? After all that had happened in the class, you are trying to convince me that your chemistry is getting better, eh?  Isn't that also the chemistry between you and Sasha? First, you take her help. Then you take her for a date, all in return for a good grade. And then she wishes to get married to you in another couple of years." Emma snorted. "Listen up, Derek, I'm fed up with your alibi. Time to choose. Three more days remain to change project mates. Choose me, else you have failed OUR chemistry."

Derek persisted. "But Emma, you don't understand. You're being emotional. Did I mind you having Brad as a project mate? Everyone knows that he likes you."

Emma's anger shot up. "Oh, so now you suspect the chemistry between me and Brad? How dare you!" She cut the call abruptly.

"Damn, damn, damn."  Derek punched the wall with frustration.

Epilogue:

Three days later, Derek and Emma huddled together on the front bench. The chemistry teacher lowered his gaze on his book. A gentle smile played on his face, one that shone with wisdom, a peace that passeth all understandings..and misunderstandings.

Derek nudged Emma. "So, are you happy now that we both are together in this?"

Emma whispered back, but audible enough for Sasha in the bench behind. "Absolutely happy. Fail or pass, we both are in this together. In fact, this is a pass grade for OUR chemistry!"

Sasha, angered, attempted to prick Emma's back with the nib of her fountain pen. However, Brad, who sat next to her, grabbed her hand and placed the nib upon his left palm.

He made her write his name.

Offline D. Roman

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: April 19, 2020, 06:25:02 am »
    In the end, Darrien isn't able to ascertain whether the unicorn is real or merely an illusion created by his mind. Even if he brings back the villagers to this spot, he couldn't prove that he encountered an unicorn as no footprints are left behind. So, the idea of an unicorn continues to remain a fascinating myth, a mystery, in the minds of everyone in the village.

I really like this.  It seems very in keeping with the mysteries sparked by fantasy in the first place.  little people, wisps, creatures in the woods, things seen but unseen. 
    D. Roman

Offline D. Roman

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: April 19, 2020, 06:26:56 am »
    Today's Prompt

Jason watched the leaves fall outside his window, just another ordinary fall day.  Except for that one leaf that paused midway down. It just hung there suspended.
    D. Roman

Offline VisitasKeat

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: April 20, 2020, 01:00:32 am »
    Today's Prompt

Jason watched the leaves fall outside his window, just another ordinary fall day.  Except for that one leaf that paused midway down. It just hung there suspended.

Jason watched the leaves fall outside his window, just another ordinary fall day.  Except for that one leaf that paused midway down. It just hung there suspended. Jason couldn't believe his eyes. He grabbed a binocular from his study table and observed again. No. There wasn't a thin string or a thread to which the leaf had latched. Intrigued, he emptied his cup of coffee and hopped over the window sill. He stood on the ledge and observed yet again. The Ash tree was dropping twigs, leaves, and helicopters, every now and then. But this one, this strange leaf, simply hung in its place. "It's a miracle," he muttered, as he reached out to the leaf. It never grew shy but continued to stay in it's place.

Jason grabbed it with his right hand and jumped back into his room. He sat down and placed the magical leaf, bottom up, on his study table. Jason felt the texture of the leaf. It was just like the other leaves. He shrugged. "Oh wait," he then said in sudden realization. He picked the leaf and allowed it to drop on his table. But, lo and behold, the leaf simply stood in the air! Jason couldn't believe his eyes. He placed it yet again on his table and turned it, bottom down. He was again surprised.

A couplet was written on the leaf.

It read:

Abundance and happiness over the mire of poverty below,
    To the one who floats this back; the fairy shall thus bestow.

Jason understood, stood up with the leaf upon his palm, and gently blew it out of his window.

The leaf drifted away and attached itself to a branch. And miraculously, all the falling, and fallen, twigs, leaves, and helicopters, began to move upwards and backwards, into the Ash tree.

The Ash tree turned resplendent. It began to glow and dazzle in golden color.

Lo and behold, the Ash tree fairy appeared before Jason, radiant and bright.  She recited the couplet, blessed him, and disappeared back into the Ash tree.
    The tree now turned into it's usual, normal self.

Within a year, Jason's business flourished and he became a billionaire.

Offline D. Roman

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: April 20, 2020, 07:08:04 am »
    Jason watched the leaves fall outside his window, just another ordinary fall day.  Except for that one leaf that paused midway down. It just hung there suspended. Jason couldn't believe his eyes. He grabbed a binocular from his study table and observed again. No. There wasn't a thin string or a thread to which the leaf had latched. Intrigued, he emptied his cup of coffee and hopped over the window sill. He stood on the ledge and observed yet again. The Ash tree was dropping twigs, leaves, and helicopters, every now and then. But this one, this strange leaf, simply hung in its place. "It's a miracle," he muttered, as he reached out to the leaf. It never grew shy but continued to stay in it's place.

Jason grabbed it with his right hand and jumped back into his room. He sat down and placed the magical leaf, bottom up, on his study table. Jason felt the texture of the leaf. It was just like the other leaves. He shrugged. "Oh wait," he then said in sudden realization. He picked the leaf and allowed it to drop on his table. But, lo and behold, the leaf simply stood in the air! Jason couldn't believe his eyes. He placed it yet again on his table and turned it, bottom down. He was again surprised.

A couplet was written on the leaf.

It read:

Abundance and happiness over the mire of poverty below,
    To the one who floats this back; the fairy shall thus bestow.

Jason understood, stood up with the leaf upon his palm, and gently blew it out of his window.

The leaf drifted away and attached itself to a branch. And miraculously, all the falling, and fallen, twigs, leaves, and helicopters, began to move upwards and backwards, into the Ash tree.

The Ash tree turned resplendent. It began to glow and dazzle in golden color.

Lo and behold, the Ash tree fairy appeared before Jason, radiant and bright.  She recited the couplet, blessed him, and disappeared back into the Ash tree.
    The tree now turned into it's usual, normal self.

Within a year, Jason's business flourished and he became a billionaire.

Awesome!  You've really got a knack for flash fiction!

D.
    D. Roman

Offline D. Roman

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: April 20, 2020, 12:46:04 pm »
    Today's Prompt

Taylor stood in front of the safety deposit box with the key in hand.  Her grandfather had left it to her and she had no idea what was inside. She turned the key and the box popped open.
    D. Roman

Offline VisitasKeat

• View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: April 21, 2020, 04:01:51 am »
    Today's Prompt

Taylor stood in front of the safety deposit box with the key in hand.  Her grandfather had left it to her and she had no idea what was inside. She turned the key and the box popped open.

Taylor had been living with her doting grandfather ever since she was twelve years old. Poor Taylor had lost her parents in a car accident before she moved in. 

Grandpa Jim pampered Taylor as she attended school. He was a wealthy man. He would shower her with pocket money, buy her expensive dresses and gifts. Anything she wished for. Not just that, he would also encourage her to read lots of books. "Reading helps you to learn life," he used to advise. "It's the simplest way understand people, society, and relationships. It gives you the maturity to cope with all that life throws in your way."

Taylor excelled in her studies, thanks to her wonderful grandpa. She had majored in physics and was now offered a job as a teacher.

After all these years, grandpa Jim had grown really old. His body had weakened terribly and he knew that his end would come anytime soon. As they both had dinner one night, Jim was very pragmatic with his words. "I'm extremely happy with your career, honey. All my wealth is only for you, my dear. But tell me, what will do after me?" he asked coughing incessantly. And Taylor had replied that she would dedicate her whole life to teach physics to kids. While happy with those words, grandpa Jim, however, urged her to marry the man of her choice and settle down in life. His persuasions, however, ended up in disappointment.

As things would roll out, grandpa Jim died in a couple of days, and Taylor inherited his house and his wealth. Initially terribly shattered at the loss of her hero, she soon came to terms with the practicalities of life, thanks to the maturity she had attained by virtue of her reading habits. She had a clear understanding of life and it's ways. She spent the rest of the month going through her grandpa's assets. She sat in his room and went through his bags and belongings. During the course of investigation, she became aware of the fact that he had rented a locker in a bank. The key and the periodical receipts were kept in a purse. Taylor never once intruded in her grandpa's financial matters. But now, she was curious. "Perhaps, it has grandma's jewelry," she pondered. Taylor had to know and take action. Her grandpa had left it to her...to find out someday. And  the time had arrived. Now. Taylor learnt the address of the bank from the receipts. It was only a couple of streets away. She grabbed a quick snack and started off to the bank. 

Taylor stood in front of the safety deposit box with the key in hand.  Her grandfather had left it to her and she had no idea what was inside. She turned the key and the box popped open. Taylor expected precious jewelry but the box just had a brown key. Taylor grew more curious than disappointed. She was not that much of a materialistic woman, after all. So, she didn't panic or get angry with her late grandpa.

Taylor returned home with the brown key. She sat in her grandpa's room, in his rocking chair. She almost napped when an insight struck her. She unfolded her palm and examined the key more closely. It was an old, slightly rusted key, but the number 65 was clearly visible on it. "So, I need to find a lock with the matching number," she muttered. She leapt out of the chair and began to search the room all over. The house was big, and Jim's room was really enormous.

Taylor's began to hunt for clues. She checked the numerous cupboards, book racks, the table drawers, wardrobe, and even a kitchenette. Most of the places were not locked, 
    but the relevant keys were hung on nails along nearby walls wherever she encountered locks. It took over forty minutes and Taylor returned to the rocking chair, tired and fed up. She relaxed and closed her eyes, the brown key nested in her palm. Curiosity again nagged her. A random thought, and she was literally pulling off the carpet. And her intuition was very correct. There was a lid right underneath the rocking chair which led to a secret basement.

Taylor lay flat and peeped through the flight of steps. It was too dark. So, she grabbed Jim's lantern from the wall and began to descend. The steps were steep with no supporting side rails. Taylor entered the basement and searched for the switchboard. No, there wasn't a switchboard. For a moment Taylor wondered why her grandpa wanted the basement so dark and secretive. Anyway, she moved around carefully.
    She shined the light around and soon realized that the place was meant to hold her grandma's possessions. Yes, Jim had stuffed his wife's jewellery, clothes, shoes, hats... everything lay exposed in this secret basement. Taylor was pleased but still continued her search. And yes, finally, she stumbled upon a chest. She checked the number on the lock. It had 65 written on it. Taylor was thrilled as she inserted the brown key. Lo and behold, the chest opened, but that left Taylor further mystified.

This chest had another key along with some papers. Taylor noted that 78 was inscribed on it. She checked the papers only to find that they were locker receipts with the same bank. One more locker! Taylor was puzzled but she climbed out of the secret basement.

In no time Taylor arrived at the bank yet again. She stood in front of the safety deposit box and turned the key. The box popped open to expose an old black and white photograph.

Tears rained down the cheeks as Taylor examined the old photo. It was the only photo in  which she was present along with grandpa Jim, grandma Wendy, and her parents. Wendy had died a few days after her birth. The backside of the photo had her grandparents' signatures and that of her parents along with a message that said: Little Taylor darling, the most precious jewel of our lives.

Offline D. Roman

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: April 21, 2020, 06:20:01 am »
    Taylor had been living with her doting grandfather ever since she was twelve years old. Poor Taylor had lost her parents in a car accident before she moved in. 

Grandpa Jim pampered Taylor as she attended school. He was a wealthy man. He would shower her with pocket money, buy her expensive dresses and gifts. Anything she wished for. Not just that, he would also encourage her to read lots of books. "Reading helps you to learn life," he used to advise. "It's the simplest way understand people, society, and relationships. It gives you the maturity to cope with all that life throws in your way."

Taylor excelled in her studies, thanks to her wonderful grandpa. She had majored in physics and was now offered a job as a teacher.

After all these years, grandpa Jim had grown really old. His body had weakened terribly and he knew that his end would come anytime soon. As they both had dinner one night, Jim was very pragmatic with his words. "I'm extremely happy with your career, honey. All my wealth is only for you, my dear. But tell me, what will do after me?" he asked coughing incessantly. And Taylor had replied that she would dedicate her whole life to teach physics to kids. While happy with those words, grandpa Jim, however, urged her to marry the man of her choice and settle down in life. His persuasions, however, ended up in disappointment.

As things would roll out, grandpa Jim died in a couple of days, and Taylor inherited his house and his wealth. Initially terribly shattered at the loss of her hero, she soon came to terms with the practicalities of life, thanks to the maturity she had attained by virtue of her reading habits. She had a clear understanding of life and it's ways. She spent the rest of the month going through her grandpa's assets. She sat in his room and went through his bags and belongings. During the course of investigation, she became aware of the fact that he had rented a locker in a bank. The key and the periodical receipts were kept in a purse. Taylor never once intruded in her grandpa's financial matters. But now, she was curious. "Perhaps, it has grandma's jewelry," she pondered. Taylor had to know and take action. Her grandpa had left it to her...to find out someday. And  the time had arrived. Now. Taylor learnt the address of the bank from the receipts. It was only a couple of streets away. She grabbed a quick snack and started off to the bank. 

Taylor stood in front of the safety deposit box with the key in hand.  Her grandfather had left it to her and she had no idea what was inside. She turned the key and the box popped open. Taylor expected precious jewelry but the box just had a brown key. Taylor grew more curious than disappointed. She was not that much of a materialistic woman, after all. So, she didn't panic or get angry with her late grandpa.

Taylor returned home with the brown key. She sat in her grandpa's room, in his rocking chair. She almost napped when an insight struck her. She unfolded her palm and examined the key more closely. It was an old, slightly rusted key, but the number 65 was clearly visible on it. "So, I need to find a lock with the matching number," she muttered. She leapt out of the chair and began to search the room all over. The house was big, and Jim's room was really enormous.

Taylor's began to hunt for clues. She checked the numerous cupboards, book racks, the table drawers, wardrobe, and even a kitchenette. Most of the places were not locked, 
    but the relevant keys were hung on nails along nearby walls wherever she encountered locks. It took over forty minutes and Taylor returned to the rocking chair, tired and fed up. She relaxed and closed her eyes, the brown key nested in her palm. Curiosity again nagged her. A random thought, and she was literally pulling off the carpet. And her intuition was very correct. There was a lid right underneath the rocking chair which led to a secret basement.

Taylor lay flat and peeped through the flight of steps. It was too dark. So, she grabbed Jim's lantern from the wall and began to descend. The steps were steep with no supporting side rails. Taylor entered the basement and searched for the switchboard. No, there wasn't a switchboard. For a moment Taylor wondered why her grandpa wanted the basement so dark and secretive. Anyway, she moved around carefully.
    She shined the light around and soon realized that the place was meant to hold her grandma's possessions. Yes, Jim had stuffed his wife's jewellery, clothes, shoes, hats... everything lay exposed in this secret basement. Taylor was pleased but still continued her search. And yes, finally, she stumbled upon a chest. She checked the number on the lock. It had 65 written on it. Taylor was thrilled as she inserted the brown key. Lo and behold, the chest opened, but that left Taylor further mystified.

This chest had another key along with some papers. Taylor noted that 78 was inscribed on it. She checked the papers only to find that they were locker receipts with the same bank. One more locker! Taylor was puzzled but she climbed out of the secret basement.

In no time Taylor arrived at the bank yet again. She stood in front of the safety deposit box and turned the key. The box popped open to expose an old black and white photograph.

Tears rained down the cheeks as Taylor examined the old photo. It was the only photo in  which she was present along with grandpa Jim, grandma Wendy, and her parents. Wendy had died a few days after her birth. The backside of the photo had her grandparents' signatures and that of her parents along with a message that said: Little Taylor darling, the most precious jewel of our lives.

Very sweet story.

D.
    D. Roman

Offline D. Roman

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: April 21, 2020, 06:43:16 am »
    Today's Prompt

I'm going to be posting pictures here to help with the prompts.  I'm pulling them from Pixabay.  All images are listed as free for commercial reuse with no attribution required. Regardless - I'll always post the artist behind the pictures as I think they deserve credit for their work and could use our support as well.  I'll also include the link to the original picture.

(Please let me know if you have any feedback about this process. The intent of this thread is to encourage creativity and I figured we could showcase some artists while we're at it.)

- Photo Credit Geoff Gill
    https://pixabay.com/photos/barista-coffee-pouring-espresso-5055060/

Prompt:  The barista smiled as he poured.  "So which will you choose? The glass with coffee already, that glass I am filling, the glass that contains only smoke, or the glass that has yet to be filled? They all cost the same, my friend."

Be well and keep writing.

D. Roman
    D. Roman

Online Dpock

• North Idaho
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: April 21, 2020, 10:23:09 am »
    [
    Prompt:  The barista smiled as he poured.  "So which will you choose? The glass with coffee already, that glass I am filling, the glass that contains only smoke, or the glass that has yet to be filled? They all cost the same, my friend."

"Surprise me."

Offline VisitasKeat

• View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: April 22, 2020, 02:48:10 am »
    Today's Prompt

I'm going to be posting pictures here to help with the prompts.  I'm pulling them from Pixabay.  All images are listed as free for commercial reuse with no attribution required. Regardless - I'll always post the artist behind the pictures as I think they deserve credit for their work and could use our support as well.  I'll also include the link to the original picture.

(Please let me know if you have any feedback about this process. The intent of this thread is to encourage creativity and I figured we could showcase some artists while we're at it.)

- Photo Credit Geoff Gill
    https://pixabay.com/photos/barista-coffee-pouring-espresso-5055060/

Be well and keep writing.

D. Roman

Tin Ginlope studied metaphysics under Professor Tray Jumbojoyce. A bright student, he also worked part-time as a barista at the campus cafe to support his living.

One afternoon, Ginlope was visibly surprised, even embarassed, when he saw a familiar face walking towards his counter. And that was because the person happened to be none other than Professor Jumbojoyce himself. The teaching staff usually kept away from this cafe as it was mostly filled with students who would take any opportunity to play pranks upon them. The teachers had their own unofficial "staff only" cafe, many buildings away from this cafe. Professor Jumbojoyce had to visit the library in the adjacent building. He had bored the librarian to death when he advised her on procuring certain books which he had recommended to his students. The discussion had lasted over an hour and Professor Jumbojoyce was stressed out. He was desperate for a cup of coffee. A gang of students followed him to the counter, giggling and gossiping. One girl even poured some ketchup on his shirt!

Ginlope was an interesting character. He understood that the gang wanted fun. Though he was a metaphysics student, he had an excellent sense of humour. And this was an excellent opportunity to prank his eccentric professor in front of others. He forgot the student-professor relationship. Hell, he was a barista now and Professor Jumbojoyce was merely his customer!

Ginlope placed four glasses on the counter even as his professor asked for a cup of coffee.

Ginlope the Barista, smiled as he poured.  "So which will you choose? The glass with coffee already, that glass I am filling, the glass that contains only smoke, or the glass that has yet to be filled? They all cost the same, my friend."

The gang giggled as they sat at a nearby table to watch the show!

The professor used to address everyone in campus as: "My friend, my friend", because of which he came to be recognised jocularly as "everyone's friend" in the campus! So, Ginlope had used the same style of addressing to mock him.

Eccentric Professor Jumbojoyce, however, didn't take offense, but was puzzled by the question his student had posed. "But I just want a single glass, my friend."

"I understand that, my friend, which is why I'm asking you."

"Is this a puzzle?"

"Some kind of a metaphysical puzzle, if you want to keep it that way."

"Okay, but I choose the first glass, the one which is full."

"Why?"

"What if you cheat on the quantity as regards the other glasses? Or perhaps the jug volume isn't sufficient?"

"Have I ever cheated in class?"

"No, but this is business."

"Okay, I assure you that there is enough coffee for the other three glasses in this jar."

"Okay, but I prefer certainty over uncertainty. The event of you pouring is incomplete as regards the other three glasses. What if right now you spill some coffee or the roof comes crashing down as you pour? You see there is that uncertainty because of the observer effect. The volume may get modified because of the way the light rays interact between the glasses and your eyes. There are those infinitesimal decrements, correct?"

"Okay, you make a good point. But don't you judge coffee by it's freshness? I mean, the glass you chose is relatively the coldest. It must have lost some energy as per the laws of thermodynamics. The entropy in the filled glass cup system has increased."

The gang laughed.

Professor Jumbojoyce was stumped. He fixed his black spectacles properly on the bridge of his nose and gazed intently. "Okay, in that case, I choose the last one, the glass that is utterly empty, even of the smoke."

"But, my friend," Ginlope teased, "don't you think you are ignoring the aspirations of the smoke in the third glass? It must be extra piping hot because of the inner circulation, correct?"

Giggles broke at the nearby table!

Again, professor Jumbojoyce was stumped. "Okay, I concede defeat. I'll have the smoke-filled, extra fresh glass cup."

Ginlope teased yet again. "Okay, but it costs just the same, my friend. There ain't no entropy and observer effect in the pricing!" He filled the smoke-filled glass cup.

The gang stood up and clapped.

Professor Jumbojoyce looked around visibly embarassed before grabbing his cup. "Thanks, but remember, this humiliation in front of others  will cost one fourth of your grade, my friend."

He reached out for his wallet in his back pocket but only to realize that it was stolen.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement