Author Topic: Prompts  (Read 1981 times)  

Offline D. Roman

• View Profile
Re: Prompts
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2020, 08:22:17 am »
Tin Ginlope studied metaphysics under Professor Tray Jumbojoyce. A bright student, he also worked part-time as a barista at the campus cafe to support his living.

One afternoon, Ginlope was visibly surprised, even embarassed, when he saw a familiar face walking towards his counter. And that was because the person happened to be none other than Professor Jumbojoyce himself. The teaching staff usually kept away from this cafe as it was mostly filled with students who would take any opportunity to play pranks upon them. The teachers had their own unofficial "staff only" cafe, many buildings away from this cafe. Professor Jumbojoyce had to visit the library in the adjacent building. He had bored the librarian to death when he advised her on procuring certain books which he had recommended to his students. The discussion had lasted over an hour and Professor Jumbojoyce was stressed out. He was desperate for a cup of coffee. A gang of students followed him to the counter, giggling and gossiping. One girl even poured some ketchup on his shirt!

Ginlope was an interesting character. He understood that the gang wanted fun. Though he was a metaphysics student, he had an excellent sense of humour. And this was an excellent opportunity to prank his eccentric professor in front of others. He forgot the student-professor relationship. Hell, he was a barista now and Professor Jumbojoyce was merely his customer!

Ginlope placed four glasses on the counter even as his professor asked for a cup of coffee.

Ginlope the Barista, smiled as he poured.  "So which will you choose? The glass with coffee already, that glass I am filling, the glass that contains only smoke, or the glass that has yet to be filled? They all cost the same, my friend."

The gang giggled as they sat at a nearby table to watch the show!

The professor used to address everyone in campus as: "My friend, my friend", because of which he came to be recognised jocularly as "everyone's friend" in the campus! So, Ginlope had used the same style of addressing to mock him.

Eccentric Professor Jumbojoyce, however, didn't take offense, but was puzzled by the question his student had posed. "But I just want a single glass, my friend."

"I understand that, my friend, which is why I'm asking you."

"Is this a puzzle?"

"Some kind of a metaphysical puzzle, if you want to keep it that way."

"Okay, but I choose the first glass, the one which is full."

"Why?"

"What if you cheat on the quantity as regards the other glasses? Or perhaps the jug volume isn't sufficient?"

"Have I ever cheated in class?"

"No, but this is business."

"Okay, I assure you that there is enough coffee for the other three glasses in this jar."

"Okay, but I prefer certainty over uncertainty. The event of you pouring is incomplete as regards the other three glasses. What if right now you spill some coffee or the roof comes crashing down as you pour? You see there is that uncertainty because of the observer effect. The volume may get modified because of the way the light rays interact between the glasses and your eyes. There are those infinitesimal decrements, correct?"

"Okay, you make a good point. But don't you judge coffee by it's freshness? I mean, the glass you chose is relatively the coldest. It must have lost some energy as per the laws of thermodynamics. The entropy in the filled glass cup system has increased."

The gang laughed.

Professor Jumbojoyce was stumped. He fixed his black spectacles properly on the bridge of his nose and gazed intently. "Okay, in that case, I choose the last one, the glass that is utterly empty, even of the smoke."

"But, my friend," Ginlope teased, "don't you think you are ignoring the aspirations of the smoke in the third glass? It must be extra piping hot because of the inner circulation, correct?"

Giggles broke at the nearby table!

Again, professor Jumbojoyce was stumped. "Okay, I concede defeat. I'll have the smoke-filled, extra fresh glass cup."

Ginlope teased yet again. "Okay, but it costs just the same, my friend. There ain't no entropy and observer effect in the pricing!" He filled the smoke-filled glass cup.

The gang stood up and clapped.

Professor Jumbojoyce looked around visibly embarassed before grabbing his cup. "Thanks, but remember, this humiliation in front of others  will cost one fourth of your grade, my friend."

He reached out for his wallet in his back pocket but only to realize that it was stolen.

Love it.  Not at all what I was expecting, which is why I love seeing what people do with prompts like these.

Be Well.

D.
D. Roman

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline D. Roman

• View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: April 22, 2020, 08:28:45 am »
    Today's Prompt

Photo Credit - Joshua Woroniecki
    https://pixabay.com/photos/keyboard-computer-technology-light-5017973/

Prompt  Katie stopped dead in her tracks.  Her laptop was open and on.  She had turned it off and closed it before she went to the kitchen. 

Be well and keep writing.

D. Roman
    D. Roman

Offline VisitasKeat

• Following my characters. Wherever they take me.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: April 23, 2020, 03:21:21 am »
    Today's Prompt

Photo Credit - Joshua Woroniecki
    https://pixabay.com/photos/keyboard-computer-technology-light-5017973/

Prompt  Katie stopped dead in her tracks.  Her laptop was open and on.  She had turned it off and closed it before she went to the kitchen. 

D. Roman

Katie was a very bright student who studied mathematics. Bold and beautiful, she was the cynosure of all eyes at her college. The pandemic had forced everyone to do assignments from home, social distancing having become the norm.

It was another half an hour to midnight and Katie was working on Markov chains. She had to solve this last problem before submitting the assignment online to her lecturer. The deadline for submission ended exactly at midnight. Moreover, the laptop kept reminding her that battery power was extremely low. Katie was under immense pressure as she slogged on the assignment.

Katie's parents were away; in fact, stranded at Cincinnati because of suspension of transportation due to the pandemic. She was their only child.

"Yes!" Katie exclaimed, as she finally solved the math problem. She punched her fist in the air. She swiped her index finger from the top to the bottom of the word processor software. The entire text turned blue, and she touched the 'Copy' option popping on the screen of her touchscreen laptop. She opened her department intranet website and typed in her login credentials. She got ready to submit her assignment into the rectangular pop-up window when she heard the glass window cracking in the kitchen. Alarmed, she pressed the power button, closed the lid of her laptop, and rushed into the kitchen.

Katie was shocked. The window pane was indeed smashed. Perhaps it was thief? Katie's mind raced fast as she peeped out of the window and tried to assimilate. But strangely, everything was quite and silent in the yard.

Confused, she rushed back into the drawing room. Katie stopped dead in her tracks. Her laptop was open and on. She had turned it off and closed it before she went to the kitchen. Moreover, the window pane at the other side of the drawing room was opened. Katie hadn't opened it since evening.
    Even more startled, she peeped into her laptop but only to find that the word processor window and the browser window were shut down. In fact, she discovered that the assignment file she had kept on the desktop had been deleted.

Katie turned around as she heard cynical giggles. She figured out who had been behind this mischief. Even as Katie leapt out of the window, she realized that Cindy and Mindy, her two dull-headed classmates were jumping the fence. Katie shouted curse words as she attempted to pounce on them, but her jealous rivals had the last laugh as they fled on their motorcycles.

Katie returned back to the drawing room, furious and vexed. She slumped into a sofa as she brooded over the deleted file. She was almost in tears when the laptop turning to screensaver mode caught her attention. A thrill shot through her spine as she leapt out of the couch screaming "Eureka!".

Katie swiped away the screen saver. The laptop showed the battery as just 1% and the time as 11:59PM.

Just one more minute to submit the assignment.

Just one more percentage of power left.

Katie held her nerves as she brought out her department intranet site.

She keyed in her login credentials.

The submission box popped up.

Katie pressed her index finger into it and touched the paste option and hit the submit button.

The message "Submission successful!" flashed on the screen.

Katie sighed and fainted even as her laptop screen turned black.

Offline D. Roman

• View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: April 23, 2020, 07:20:41 am »
    Katie was a very bright student who studied mathematics. Bold and beautiful, she was the cynosure of all eyes at her college. The pandemic had forced everyone to do assignments from home, social distancing having become the norm.

It was another half an hour to midnight and Katie was working on Markov chains. She had to solve this last problem before submitting the assignment online to her lecturer. The deadline for submission ended exactly at midnight. Moreover, the laptop kept reminding her that battery power was extremely low. Katie was under immense pressure as she slogged on the assignment.

Katie's parents were away; in fact, stranded at Cincinnati because of suspension of transportation due to the pandemic. She was their only child.

"Yes!" Katie exclaimed, as she finally solved the math problem. She punched her fist in the air. She swiped her index finger from the top to the bottom of the word processor software. The entire text turned blue, and she touched the 'Copy' option popping on the screen of her touchscreen laptop. She opened her department intranet website and typed in her login credentials. She got ready to submit her assignment into the rectangular pop-up window when she heard the glass window cracking in the kitchen. Alarmed, she pressed the power button, closed the lid of her laptop, and rushed into the kitchen.

Katie was shocked. The window pane was indeed smashed. Perhaps it was thief? Katie's mind raced fast as she peeped out of the window and tried to assimilate. But strangely, everything was quite and silent in the yard.

Confused, she rushed back into the drawing room. Katie stopped dead in her tracks. Her laptop was open and on. She had turned it off and closed it before she went to the kitchen. Moreover, the window pane at the other side of the drawing room was opened. Katie hadn't opened it since evening.
    Even more startled, she peeped into her laptop but only to find that the word processor window and the browser window were shut down. In fact, she discovered that the assignment file she had kept on the desktop had been deleted.

Katie turned around as she heard cynical giggles. She figured out who had been behind this mischief. Even as Katie leapt out of the window, she realized that Cindy and Mindy, her two dull-headed classmates were jumping the fence. Katie shouted curse words as she attempted to pounce on them, but her jealous rivals had the last laugh as they fled on their motorcycles.

Katie returned back to the drawing room, furious and vexed. She slumped into a sofa as she brooded over the deleted file. She was almost in tears when the laptop turning to screensaver mode caught her attention. A thrill shot through her spine as she leapt out of the couch screaming "Eureka!".

Katie swiped away the screen saver. The laptop showed the battery as just 1% and the time as 11:59PM.

Just one more minute to submit the assignment.

Just one more percentage of power left.

Katie held her nerves as she brought out her department intranet site.

She keyed in her login credentials.

The submission box popped up.

Katie pressed her index finger into it and touched the paste option and hit the submit button.

The message "Submission successful!" flashed on the screen.

Katie sighed and fainted even as her laptop screen turned black.

Nice, nothing like a little academic sabotage.
    D. Roman

Offline D. Roman

• View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: April 23, 2020, 07:27:01 am »
    Today's Prompt

Photo Credit - Rahul Pandit
    https://pixabay.com/photos/people-figure-color-silhouette-4823356/

Prompt: The three men headed towards the boat. They didn't know each other and they didn't understand why they felt compelled to walk out into the waves towards the small bobbing craft.  All they knew was that they needed to get to the boat, now.

D. Roman
    D. Roman

Offline VisitasKeat

• View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: April 24, 2020, 05:31:27 am »
    Today's Prompt

Photo Credit - Rahul Pandit
    https://pixabay.com/photos/people-figure-color-silhouette-4823356/

Prompt: The three men headed towards the boat. They didn't know each other and they didn't understand why they felt compelled to walk out into the waves towards the small bobbing craft.  All they knew was that they needed to get to the boat, now.

D. Roman

Year 3030, planet Earth:

The sun had slightly cracked the horizon across the sea. A fleet of seagulls rode it's reddish-orange bands with tremendous power even as sea dragons flew out to attack them. The waters were agile and mighty in the middle, but the waves were small and crispy at the shore.

Craig, Bob, and Willis, were always the only ones at the seashore. In fact, in the deserted costal city. Craig was lying on the sands, his fully formed nakedness exposed. Bob was jogging -- his wheels would keep dodging the waters every now and then. Willis, on the other hand, was wriggling his mostly withered fishtail on a rock even as his freshly formed feet provoked him to stand up.

A purring noise made a whirlpool at a distance close enough from the shore. This was unusual  at this superficial depth and at this current strength. But it persisted for around three minutes before an object popped up a little bit. The purring sound turned to hi-tech beeping, loud enough to grab the attention of the three men. The object revealed itself fully even as dazzling bluish-red lights scanned their faces. Craig, Bob, and Willis felt stress in between their eyebrows, exactly at the location of their third eye. And before their minds cognized the event fully, they found themselves walking into the sea.

The three men headed towards the boat. They didn't know each other and they didn't understand why they felt compelled to walk out into the waves towards the small bobbing craft. All they knew was that they needed to get to the boat, now.

As soon as Craig, Bob, and Willis, stepped inside, the circular boat began to gyrate. It began to rotate inwards and outwards in alternate fashion -- the centripetal and centrifugal forces increasing exponentially every moment. The force of the vortex lifted the boat out of the waters. The boat was actually saucer-shaped. Automated buttons on the deck switched on and off even as the saucer took off into the sky.

Escape velocity was breached in no time as the saucer blazed across the galaxy at the speed of light.

350 lightyears later, the saucer descended into a planet. Upon touching base, the saucer transformed into a car-like vehicle and sped through a metallic looking desert road. Upon reaching the premises of a building, it ejected out the three hypnotized men. The vehicle now transformed itself. It revealed it's true appearance. It was a shapeshifter roboAt. It handcuffed Craig, Bob, and Willis.

They all walked into a chamber. The roboAt was greeted by another similar looking roboAt. They both spoke in a computerised voice.

"I've brought back the last of our species, lieutenant. Our other units have evacuated everyone from all the other beaches."

"Good job, soldier! Take them to the de-skinning laboratory. We don't want any further devolution of our shapeshifter roboAt species as mundane mermaids, mermen, and human beings."

Offline D. Roman

• View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: April 24, 2020, 08:33:50 am »
    Year 3030, planet Earth:

The sun had slightly cracked the horizon across the sea. A fleet of seagulls rode it's reddish-orange bands with tremendous power even as sea dragons flew out to attack them. The waters were agile and mighty in the middle, but the waves were small and crispy at the shore.

Craig, Bob, and Willis, were always the only ones at the seashore. In fact, in the deserted costal city. Craig was lying on the sands, his fully formed nakedness exposed. Bob was jogging -- his wheels would keep dodging the waters every now and then. Willis, on the other hand, was wriggling his mostly withered fishtail on a rock even as his freshly formed feet provoked him to stand up.

A purring noise made a whirlpool at a distance close enough from the shore. This was unusual  at this superficial depth and at this current strength. But it persisted for around three minutes before an object popped up a little bit. The purring sound turned to hi-tech beeping, loud enough to grab the attention of the three men. The object revealed itself fully even as dazzling bluish-red lights scanned their faces. Craig, Bob, and Willis felt stress in between their eyebrows, exactly at the location of their third eye. And before their minds cognized the event fully, they found themselves walking into the sea.

The three men headed towards the boat. They didn't know each other and they didn't understand why they felt compelled to walk out into the waves towards the small bobbing craft. All they knew was that they needed to get to the boat, now.

As soon as Craig, Bob, and Willis, stepped inside, the circular boat began to gyrate. It began to rotate inwards and outwards in alternate fashion -- the centripetal and centrifugal forces increasing exponentially every moment. The force of the vortex lifted the boat out of the waters. The boat was actually saucer-shaped. Automated buttons on the deck switched on and off even as the saucer took off into the sky.

Escape velocity was breached in no time as the saucer blazed across the galaxy at the speed of light.

350 lightyears later, the saucer descended into a planet. Upon touching base, the saucer transformed into a car-like vehicle and sped through a metallic looking desert road. Upon reaching the premises of a building, it ejected out the three hypnotized men. The vehicle now transformed itself. It revealed it's true appearance. It was a shapeshifter roboAt. It handcuffed Craig, Bob, and Willis.

They all walked into a chamber. The roboAt was greeted by another similar looking roboAt. They both spoke in a computerised voice.

"I've brought back the last of our species, lieutenant. Our other units have evacuated everyone from all the other beaches."

"Good job, soldier! Take them to the de-skinning laboratory. We don't want any further devolution of our shapeshifter roboAt species as mundane mermaids, mermen, and human beings."

Fun.  The deskinning room...oh my. 
    D. Roman

Offline D. Roman

• View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: April 24, 2020, 08:39:06 am »
    Today's Prompt

Photo Credit - Amersfoort/Netherlands
    https://pixabay.com/photos/europe-asia-georgia-caucasus-1788319/

Prompt: Jessie knew that stupid castle hadn't been then yesterday and she was furious that it was now blocking her view. Sure it was some kind of miracle or whatever, but come on!

D. Roman
    D. Roman

Offline VisitasKeat

• View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: April 25, 2020, 05:24:32 am »
    Today's Prompt

Photo Credit - Amersfoort/Netherlands
    https://pixabay.com/photos/europe-asia-georgia-caucasus-1788319/

Prompt: Jessie knew that stupid castle hadn't been then yesterday and she was furious that it was now blocking her view. Sure it was some kind of miracle or whatever, but come on!

D. Roman

The helicopter whirled madly after hitting a boulder on the hill. Jessie jumped out even as the chopper burst into flames. She had managed to splash safely into a river. It was noontide but the forest was extremely cool. Jessie swam to safety and lay down by the waters. Tired and exhausted, she had dozed off for a good number of hours. It was almost four in the evening when she opened her eyes to fresh sounds. A bunch of deers were quenching their thirst. They hadn't disturbed her but she was glad that their sounds had awakened her. She knew the forest could get dangerous by the night, and so, she thought of finding a safe place to spend the night. And the best place would be on the cliff itself, for that was where she had originally planned to land her chopper. As a ranger she had originally planned to examine the cave there. Hitherto, no ranger, or anyone for that matter, had examined it, but the legend was that the cave and it's caverns, only led to another opening on the rear which overlooked a bridge naturally formed out of thick, sturdy vines. The legend, however, didn't mention where the bridge led to, inside the jungle. Ariel photography of this legendary bridge wasn't possible either as dense foliage veiled the area. 

The forest appeared dense and dangerous on all sides. Jessie was glad that she was alive.  The climb wasn't all that difficult -- the hill was mostly a rocky area. Jessie munched on fruits and berries she found while climbing. She also stashed some in the many pockets of her khaki cargo shorts. En route, a gang of gorrilas snared her but she knelt on her knees and raised her hands in surrender. She continued climbing after they spared her, and she managed to reach the cliff before sunset.

The view from the hilltop was fantastic! The sinking sun upon the silvery skies, and the gurgle of the river as it showcased the reddish reflections was worth dying for; or so thought Jessie as she tied her arms around her chest and reveled in the virgin fresh breeze, and in the far cries of birds as they got ready to retire for the day. Mysterious howling sounds from the denseness and the incessant buzz of the insects, the jungle inspired both beauty and fear. The night was slowly coming to life.

Jessie walked into the cave. There was sufficient light entering through it's wide mouth. Sure, she had her gun but she believed more in the legend of this cave -- that it wasn't dangerous. She looked around. It was an empty place with little grass and some shrubbery. She explored the caverns. There were three of them. The first two from the left were dead-ends but the third cavern led Jessie to the cave's rear. A stony arch greeted her. Jessie stepped past the stony arch to find out if the legend was real. Light in this area was very feeble, but yes, Jessie was able to see a bridge, naturally formed from vines. This part of the wilderness remained extremely silent. It simply took three minutes to cross the bridge and Jessie realized that it simply merged into a bunch of trunks. Wood, wood, everywhere. Disappointed, Jessie returned to the stony archway and flattened on the floor. Past midnight, she heard chattering voices and crunch of shoes but dismissed them as dreams. As the night rolled, she even opened her sleepy eyes and saw the bridge lit in multi-colors. She even felt that her exhausted body was being massaged!

The night passed away peacefully but Jessie woke up with surprise. And that was because she sighted a castle at the end of the bridge. It looked tiny and trivial to her. It was simply nested in the enormously large bark of a tree.

Jessie knew that stupid castle hadn't been then yesterday and she was furious that it was now blocking her view. Sure it was some kind of miracle or whatever, but come on! She wanted to know what lay beyond the bridge.

Jessie crossed the bridge. She was feeling fresh and strong. In fact, strong and nourished. She came close and peeped into this tiny castle. And was surprised when she heard human voices from inside!

"The giant has woken up! The giant has woken up!"

Hundreds and hundreds of tiny human beings, roughly the height of an index finger, peeped from all branches of the tree.

Jessie was delighted!

The king and queen emerged from the castle and they greeted Jessie.

"Welcome, o great giant," the king greeted, slightly filled with awe and fear. "Please don't harm us."

"I'm harmless," Jessie said smilingly, as she sat on her knees and spread out her palm.

"We knew that right away," the king said, as he and his queen mounted on Jessie's palm.

The king continued: "I became aware of you when one of my soldiers alerted me to your presence. I came along with my queen and saw what the soldier said was indeed true. We have only heard stories about giants like you. We are pleasantly surprised that it's all very real. We saw you asleep, terribly tired and exhausted. In your sleep you complained about thirst and severe body ache. So, I ordered my soldiers to feed water into your mouth and to massage your hands and legs. I'm truly glad that you have recovered in strength."

Jessie couldn't believe her dreams were actual events! She thanked the king profusely. "Is there any help I can do in return?" she asked the king.

"Yes, please keep our presence a secret," the king replied. "We have lives to live."

"I promise," Jessie assured, as she placed the king and queen carefully into the castle's porch.

A kid came out with a sleepy face. He got scared at Jessie but the queen assured him that all is well.

"Who's that?" Jessie asked smilingly.

"My son," the queen replied.

"He's cute!" Jessie waved at the crown prince and turned back into the bridge.

And as she reached the stony archway, the crown prince asked: "Mom, who's that giant?"

Upon which, the queen replied, "That's the forest goddess, my dear son, and she's the one who protects us."

Offline D. Roman

• View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: April 27, 2020, 08:22:56 am »
    The helicopter whirled madly after hitting a boulder on the hill. Jessie jumped out even as the chopper burst into flames. She had managed to splash safely into a river. It was noontide but the forest was extremely cool. Jessie swam to safety and lay down by the waters. Tired and exhausted, she had dozed off for a good number of hours. It was almost four in the evening when she opened her eyes to fresh sounds. A bunch of deers were quenching their thirst. They hadn't disturbed her but she was glad that their sounds had awakened her. She knew the forest could get dangerous by the night, and so, she thought of finding a safe place to spend the night. And the best place would be on the cliff itself, for that was where she had originally planned to land her chopper. As a ranger she had originally planned to examine the cave there. Hitherto, no ranger, or anyone for that matter, had examined it, but the legend was that the cave and it's caverns, only led to another opening on the rear which overlooked a bridge naturally formed out of thick, sturdy vines. The legend, however, didn't mention where the bridge led to, inside the jungle. Ariel photography of this legendary bridge wasn't possible either as dense foliage veiled the area. 

The forest appeared dense and dangerous on all sides. Jessie was glad that she was alive.  The climb wasn't all that difficult -- the hill was mostly a rocky area. Jessie munched on fruits and berries she found while climbing. She also stashed some in the many pockets of her khaki cargo shorts. En route, a gang of gorrilas snared her but she knelt on her knees and raised her hands in surrender. She continued climbing after they spared her, and she managed to reach the cliff before sunset.

The view from the hilltop was fantastic! The sinking sun upon the silvery skies, and the gurgle of the river as it showcased the reddish reflections was worth dying for; or so thought Jessie as she tied her arms around her chest and reveled in the virgin fresh breeze, and in the far cries of birds as they got ready to retire for the day. Mysterious howling sounds from the denseness and the incessant buzz of the insects, the jungle inspired both beauty and fear. The night was slowly coming to life.

Jessie walked into the cave. There was sufficient light entering through it's wide mouth. Sure, she had her gun but she believed more in the legend of this cave -- that it wasn't dangerous. She looked around. It was an empty place with little grass and some shrubbery. She explored the caverns. There were three of them. The first two from the left were dead-ends but the third cavern led Jessie to the cave's rear. A stony arch greeted her. Jessie stepped past the stony arch to find out if the legend was real. Light in this area was very feeble, but yes, Jessie was able to see a bridge, naturally formed from vines. This part of the wilderness remained extremely silent. It simply took three minutes to cross the bridge and Jessie realized that it simply merged into a bunch of trunks. Wood, wood, everywhere. Disappointed, Jessie returned to the stony archway and flattened on the floor. Past midnight, she heard chattering voices and crunch of shoes but dismissed them as dreams. As the night rolled, she even opened her sleepy eyes and saw the bridge lit in multi-colors. She even felt that her exhausted body was being massaged!

The night passed away peacefully but Jessie woke up with surprise. And that was because she sighted a castle at the end of the bridge. It looked tiny and trivial to her. It was simply nested in the enormously large bark of a tree.

Jessie knew that stupid castle hadn't been then yesterday and she was furious that it was now blocking her view. Sure it was some kind of miracle or whatever, but come on! She wanted to know what lay beyond the bridge.

Jessie crossed the bridge. She was feeling fresh and strong. In fact, strong and nourished. She came close and peeped into this tiny castle. And was surprised when she heard human voices from inside!

"The giant has woken up! The giant has woken up!"

Hundreds and hundreds of tiny human beings, roughly the height of an index finger, peeped from all branches of the tree.

Jessie was delighted!

The king and queen emerged from the castle and they greeted Jessie.

"Welcome, o great giant," the king greeted, slightly filled with awe and fear. "Please don't harm us."

"I'm harmless," Jessie said smilingly, as she sat on her knees and spread out her palm.

"We knew that right away," the king said, as he and his queen mounted on Jessie's palm.

The king continued: "I became aware of you when one of my soldiers alerted me to your presence. I came along with my queen and saw what the soldier said was indeed true. We have only heard stories about giants like you. We are pleasantly surprised that it's all very real. We saw you asleep, terribly tired and exhausted. In your sleep you complained about thirst and severe body ache. So, I ordered my soldiers to feed water into your mouth and to massage your hands and legs. I'm truly glad that you have recovered in strength."

Jessie couldn't believe her dreams were actual events! She thanked the king profusely. "Is there any help I can do in return?" she asked the king.

"Yes, please keep our presence a secret," the king replied. "We have lives to live."

"I promise," Jessie assured, as she placed the king and queen carefully into the castle's porch.

A kid came out with a sleepy face. He got scared at Jessie but the queen assured him that all is well.

"Who's that?" Jessie asked smilingly.

"My son," the queen replied.

"He's cute!" Jessie waved at the crown prince and turned back into the bridge.

And as she reached the stony archway, the crown prince asked: "Mom, who's that giant?"

Upon which, the queen replied, "That's the forest goddess, my dear son, and she's the one who protects us."

Fun riff on the prompt.  I love the spin with using tiny people. 

D.
    D. Roman

Offline D. Roman

• View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: April 27, 2020, 08:29:23 am »
    Today's Prompt

Photo Credit - Gerhard Gellinger
    https://pixabay.com/photos/animals-hirsch-wild-fallow-deer-5085751/

Prompt Carol peeked between her blinds. There were five now!  One of the deer looked over its shoulder at her. Carol let the blind shut and stepped away from the window.  This called for something drastic.

D. Roman

Offline VisitasKeat

• View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: April 28, 2020, 04:19:55 am »
    Today's Prompt

Photo Credit - Gerhard Gellinger
    https://pixabay.com/photos/animals-hirsch-wild-fallow-deer-5085751/

Prompt Carol peeked between her blinds. There were five now!  One of the deer looked over its shoulder at her. Carol let the blind shut and stepped away from the window.  This called for something drastic.
    The trap was set. A large pit was dug in the forest and it's mouth was covered with branches in a crisscross fashion. The poachers added grass and leaves over the area generously so that the trap appeared natural and inviting to the fallows. It was summer and the bucks grew their antlers very fast. It was just not the time  to hunt for shed antlers. But the poachers were impatient. Antlers sold well, and only in the black market, for shed hunting was considered illegal in the island even though IUCN rated fallows as LC, meaning Least Concern, relative to other species. The shed antlers made for good interior decors. The customers used them for several creative purposes including using them as coat hangers, for displaying jewelry, and as the base of a reading table.

Carolina Hernandez was the Game Warden of the island. Ranger Carol, Officer Carol, as she was variously known, was a very honest, strong-minded, and animal loving wildlife official. She hated the very sight of poachers. They were criminals of a different kind, always in nexus with the island's gangsters. Everytime she ran into one such group, she would simply scare them away by firing in the air. If things worsened, she would simply shoot and flatten their car tyres. Poachers feared and hated Carol.

Pablo, and his assistant, Rio, waited in the bushes. After fifty minutes, four fallows came along.

"Damn, the does!" Pablo cursed.

"But boss, doe meat would taste awesome!" Rio exclaimed.

"You idiot," Pablo whispered back, "can't you think of anything other than food? The client is paying us a big amount."

"Is he really smuggling antlers into Europe, boss?"

"Yes, you idiot, were you sleeping while we were talking?"

"Sorry, boss, my english..."

Suddenly, Pablo got excited. "Look! One more is following them at a good distance!" he exclaimed, as he looked through the binoculars hung on his chest. "Yeah, baby! This one got real antlers! Wide and branchy! Must be an old fella!"

And, just as the does came near the trap, a jeep came out of nowhere and blocked their path.

"Damn that ranger, Carolina Hernandez!" Pablo cursed.

And, as he and Rio looked on, Carol offered grass and fruits she had brought along in her jeep. The deers headed towards a stream after their meal. And Carol started her jeep and headed to her cabin for lunch.

"Relief and riddance!" Pablo exclaimed, as he hi5ed Rio. "Now our baby is coming closer and closer!"

They waited for another fifteen minutes. The buck had stopped around several times to feed on grass before arriving at the trap.

Pablo and Rio got ready for action. The buck eyed the abundance in the trap area and inched closer. It fell into the pit after taking a couple of steps.

The two men simply sliced off the antlers and fled the place. The poor, wounded buck managed to escape and ran in the direction of the stream.

An hour passed.

Carol heard sounds as she finished her lunch. She washed her hands and closed the washbasin tap before moving to the window. She sighted deers. The same deers she had fed. Carol peeked between her blinds. There were five now!  One of the deer looked over its shoulder at her. Carol let the blind shut and stepped away from the window. This called for something drastic.

Carol had seen blood at the pedicle. She sensed foul play and started off in her jeep. She returned to the place where she had fed the deers and was shocked to see the exposed trap. Carol had been right in judging the buck. She also saw shoe marks and followed the trail. It led her jeep out of the woods and into a narrow road. There she found the chopped antlers along with the shredded bodies of Pablo and Rio. The blood trail led into the wayside denseness and  Carol learnt that the leading footprints were that of a Lion.

Offline D. Roman

• View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: April 28, 2020, 06:24:00 am »
    The trap was set. A large pit was dug in the forest and it's mouth was covered with branches in a crisscross fashion. The poachers added grass and leaves over the area generously so that the trap appeared natural and inviting to the fallows. It was summer and the bucks grew their antlers very fast. It was just not the time  to hunt for shed antlers. But the poachers were impatient. Antlers sold well, and only in the black market, for shed hunting was considered illegal in the island even though IUCN rated fallows as LC, meaning Least Concern, relative to other species. The shed antlers made for good interior decors. The customers used them for several creative purposes including using them as coat hangers, for displaying jewelry, and as the base of a reading table.

Carolina Hernandez was the Game Warden of the island. Ranger Carol, Officer Carol, as she was variously known, was a very honest, strong-minded, and animal loving wildlife official. She hated the very sight of poachers. They were criminals of a different kind, always in nexus with the island's gangsters. Everytime she ran into one such group, she would simply scare them away by firing in the air. If things worsened, she would simply shoot and flatten their car tyres. Poachers feared and hated Carol.

Pablo, and his assistant, Rio, waited in the bushes. After fifty minutes, four fallows came along.

"Damn, the does!" Pablo cursed.

"But boss, doe meat would taste awesome!" Rio exclaimed.

"You idiot," Pablo whispered back, "can't you think of anything other than food? The client is paying us a big amount."

"Is he really smuggling antlers into Europe, boss?"

"Yes, you idiot, were you sleeping while we were talking?"

"Sorry, boss, my english..."

Suddenly, Pablo got excited. "Look! One more is following them at a good distance!" he exclaimed, as he looked through the binoculars hung on his chest. "Yeah, baby! This one got real antlers! Wide and branchy! Must be an old fella!"

And, just as the does came near the trap, a jeep came out of nowhere and blocked their path.

"Damn that ranger, Carolina Hernandez!" Pablo cursed.

And, as he and Rio looked on, Carol offered grass and fruits she had brought along in her jeep. The deers headed towards a stream after their meal. And Carol started her jeep and headed to her cabin for lunch.

"Relief and riddance!" Pablo exclaimed, as he hi5ed Rio. "Now our baby is coming closer and closer!"

They waited for another fifteen minutes. The buck had stopped around several times to feed on grass before arriving at the trap.

Pablo and Rio got ready for action. The buck eyed the abundance in the trap area and inched closer. It fell into the pit after taking a couple of steps.

The two men simply sliced off the antlers and fled the place. The poor, wounded buck managed to escape and ran in the direction of the stream.

An hour passed.

Carol heard sounds as she finished her lunch. She washed her hands and closed the washbasin tap before moving to the window. She sighted deers. The same deers she had fed. Carol peeked between her blinds. There were five now!  One of the deer looked over its shoulder at her. Carol let the blind shut and stepped away from the window. This called for something drastic.

Carol had seen blood at the pedicle. She sensed foul play and started off in her jeep. She returned to the place where she had fed the deers and was shocked to see the exposed trap. Carol had been right in judging the buck. She also saw shoe marks and followed the trail. It led her jeep out of the woods and into a narrow road. There she found the chopped antlers along with the shredded bodies of Pablo and Rio. The blood trail led into the wayside denseness and  Carol learnt that the leading footprints were that of a Lion.

Oh my.  I'm really enjoying watching how these different prompts are interpreted. 

Be Well.

D.
    D. Roman

Offline D. Roman

• View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: April 28, 2020, 06:30:34 am »
    Today's Prompt

Photo Credit - Leslin Liu
    https://pixabay.com/photos/lake-forest-nature-landscape-water-5045059/

Prompt Michael stretched his aching back and walked down to the water's edge.  The lake was oddly quiet this morning.  He went to step into the water and his foot skidded across the solid surface and he ended up sprawled out on a very solid - unfrozen lake.

Be well and Keep Writing.

D. Roman
    D. Roman

Offline D. Roman

• View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: April 29, 2020, 07:23:11 am »
    Today's Prompt

Photo Credit - Peter H.

https://pixabay.com/photos/stairs-escape-route-output-5091557/

Prompt: Tiff and Kat looked up at the light shining down from the city above. Neither one had ever seen light like that.  As long as they'd lived in the underground the sky above had been gray, dark, and unforgiving.

"What does it mean, Tiff?" Kat asked.

"I don't know, Kat. I don't know. Nothing good."
    D. Roman

Offline VisitasKeat

• View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: April 29, 2020, 07:44:37 am »
    Today's Prompt

Photo Credit - Leslin Liu
    https://pixabay.com/photos/lake-forest-nature-landscape-water-5045059/

Prompt Michael stretched his aching back and walked down to the water's edge.  The lake was oddly quiet this morning.  He went to step into the water and his foot skidded across the solid surface and he ended up sprawled out on a very solid - unfrozen lake.

Be well and Keep Writing.

D. Roman
    The morning was foggy and super chill. Visibility was barely adequate for Michael to drive on the bridge that ran over a creek. Michael was unsure of the direction to the lake that lay beyond the village. It was a small village, nothing much to interest Michael, and so he hadn't stopped there for shooting photos. Moreover, he had enough supplies for the day in his car. He had read about the Glass Lake on the web but hadn't met anyone who had actually been there. His research told him that it was a wonderful shooting spot but he couldn't find out the movies that were shot there.

Michael stopped his car in the middle of the bridge. And that was because he sighted an old man sitting on it's wall.

"Excuse me, sir, but is this the way to the Glass Lake?"

The old man grew angry. "Yes, but please don't go into the woods."

"But why?" the 55-year-old freelance photographer asked, slightly shaken more by the rude reply.

"The beast will kill you," the old man warned.

Michael produced his rifle and grinned. "You see this? I can kill that beast. Oh, and what beast is that anyway?"

The old man's face turned cold. Instead of replying, he simply lowered his head and brooded.

"Stupid villagers! At least the old salt had bothered to confirm the direction to the lake," he muttered, as restarted the engine.

Glass Lake was nested in between a forest and a mountain. It got it's name because of it's appearance -- the waters remained frozen for most part of the year. The lake was a mirror -- it reflected the mountains and the trees perfectly. The villagers usually kept away from the place. And that was because of the several superstitions and myths about the legend of the lake. Some elders said that the area was haunted. One thing, however, was certain: that most unsuspecting trekkers to the lake area never came back into the village.

Michael halted his car as soon as the long road he had been travelling upon touched the foot of the forest. He wore his backpack, slung his rifle on his shoulder, and hung his camera across his chest. "What a fantastic place! What serenity and peace!" He inhaled the virgin fresh air and rubbed his palms. "I must be the first one to shoot photos here! Surely I can get thousands of downloads at a competitive pricepoint!" Michael stopped every now and then to take snaps. The forest was filled with tall trees and they were spaciously laid out. Wading through wasn't a problem but the symmetry of the woods was confusing. Michael looked back every now and then wondering which path he had taken to enter the forest. Sighting his car was comforting initially but even that relief wasn't possible after he had trekked deep into the woods. Moreover, the GPS on his phone wasn't working properly. Michael, however, was more enchanted with the beauty and the silence of the place. "No wild animal, not even a bird chirping, I can stay here the whole day!" Happy with the food supplies in his backpack, he walked ahead briskly. After an hour of walk, he finally sighted the lake.

"Oh, my God!" Michael threw his hands in the air as soon as he had moved out of the woods. He spun around as he admired the scenery -- the tall trees reflected perfectly by the lake; the virgin snow peaks of the mountain mirrored brilliantly; and the glint of the rising sun as it attempted to clarify the thick mist. Michael clicked around in all angles and directions with delight. He walked towards the lake after the surge of excitement had subsided.

Michael stood in front the lake. It too was silent and mighty. No water birds, not even the ripple made by fish. He once again zoomed in his camera but wasn't happy with the angle. So, he decided to enter the lake and capture his reflection as well.

Michael stretched his aching back and walked down to the water's edge. The lake was oddly quiet this morning. He went to step into the water and his foot skidded across the solid surface and he ended up sprawled out on a very solid - unfrozen lake.

Michael thought that the waters were semi-frozen but that assumption soon turned into shock when he saw his skin bleeding. He managed to roll and stand up yet again, but was startled to see reflections of men, women, swans, birds, and fishes...and among them the old man he had met at the bridge. Startled, Michael looked around in all directions but couldn't spot any of them. He called out to the old man but received no reply.

The surface cracked before Michael could make sense of all that was going on. The crackling sound grew louder and louder, like the sound of thousands of glass pieces getting crushed. Ripples erupted all over the lake's surface even as a whirlpool swarmed around Michael. He fell down, his body pierced all over by treacherous glass pieces. Blood oozed from his skin pores as he screamed for help. Michael was getting desperate every moment as he attempted to fight away the demonic lake -- it was turning into a pool of glass pieces, drinking his blood.

And, as he sank into it's depths, he heard the wails of the ghostly reflections...of all those who had died in the lake.

Offline D. Roman

• View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: April 30, 2020, 07:11:01 am »
    Today's Prompt

Photo Credit - This one has no real attribution.  It just says Free-Photos. 

https://pixabay.com/photos/hut-shed-house-wooden-planks-731342/

Prompt: Markus rested his hand on the barrel to the right of the door.  He could feel the movement inside slowly beginning. It would only be a few more months until it was ready to emerge.

Be Well and Keep Writing.

D. Roman
    D. Roman

Offline D. Roman

• View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: May 01, 2020, 07:57:34 am »
    The morning was foggy and super chill. Visibility was barely adequate for Michael to drive on the bridge that ran over a creek. Michael was unsure of the direction to the lake that lay beyond the village. It was a small village, nothing much to interest Michael, and so he hadn't stopped there for shooting photos. Moreover, he had enough supplies for the day in his car. He had read about the Glass Lake on the web but hadn't met anyone who had actually been there. His research told him that it was a wonderful shooting spot but he couldn't find out the movies that were shot there.

Michael stopped his car in the middle of the bridge. And that was because he sighted an old man sitting on it's wall.

"Excuse me, sir, but is this the way to the Glass Lake?"

The old man grew angry. "Yes, but please don't go into the woods."

"But why?" the 55-year-old freelance photographer asked, slightly shaken more by the rude reply.

"The beast will kill you," the old man warned.

Michael produced his rifle and grinned. "You see this? I can kill that beast. Oh, and what beast is that anyway?"

The old man's face turned cold. Instead of replying, he simply lowered his head and brooded.

"Stupid villagers! At least the old salt had bothered to confirm the direction to the lake," he muttered, as restarted the engine.

Glass Lake was nested in between a forest and a mountain. It got it's name because of it's appearance -- the waters remained frozen for most part of the year. The lake was a mirror -- it reflected the mountains and the trees perfectly. The villagers usually kept away from the place. And that was because of the several superstitions and myths about the legend of the lake. Some elders said that the area was haunted. One thing, however, was certain: that most unsuspecting trekkers to the lake area never came back into the village.

Michael halted his car as soon as the long road he had been travelling upon touched the foot of the forest. He wore his backpack, slung his rifle on his shoulder, and hung his camera across his chest. "What a fantastic place! What serenity and peace!" He inhaled the virgin fresh air and rubbed his palms. "I must be the first one to shoot photos here! Surely I can get thousands of downloads at a competitive pricepoint!" Michael stopped every now and then to take snaps. The forest was filled with tall trees and they were spaciously laid out. Wading through wasn't a problem but the symmetry of the woods was confusing. Michael looked back every now and then wondering which path he had taken to enter the forest. Sighting his car was comforting initially but even that relief wasn't possible after he had trekked deep into the woods. Moreover, the GPS on his phone wasn't working properly. Michael, however, was more enchanted with the beauty and the silence of the place. "No wild animal, not even a bird chirping, I can stay here the whole day!" Happy with the food supplies in his backpack, he walked ahead briskly. After an hour of walk, he finally sighted the lake.

"Oh, my God!" Michael threw his hands in the air as soon as he had moved out of the woods. He spun around as he admired the scenery -- the tall trees reflected perfectly by the lake; the virgin snow peaks of the mountain mirrored brilliantly; and the glint of the rising sun as it attempted to clarify the thick mist. Michael clicked around in all angles and directions with delight. He walked towards the lake after the surge of excitement had subsided.

Michael stood in front the lake. It too was silent and mighty. No water birds, not even the ripple made by fish. He once again zoomed in his camera but wasn't happy with the angle. So, he decided to enter the lake and capture his reflection as well.

Michael stretched his aching back and walked down to the water's edge. The lake was oddly quiet this morning. He went to step into the water and his foot skidded across the solid surface and he ended up sprawled out on a very solid - unfrozen lake.

Michael thought that the waters were semi-frozen but that assumption soon turned into shock when he saw his skin bleeding. He managed to roll and stand up yet again, but was startled to see reflections of men, women, swans, birds, and fishes...and among them the old man he had met at the bridge. Startled, Michael looked around in all directions but couldn't spot any of them. He called out to the old man but received no reply.

The surface cracked before Michael could make sense of all that was going on. The crackling sound grew louder and louder, like the sound of thousands of glass pieces getting crushed. Ripples erupted all over the lake's surface even as a whirlpool swarmed around Michael. He fell down, his body pierced all over by treacherous glass pieces. Blood oozed from his skin pores as he screamed for help. Michael was getting desperate every moment as he attempted to fight away the demonic lake -- it was turning into a pool of glass pieces, drinking his blood.

And, as he sank into it's depths, he heard the wails of the ghostly reflections...of all those who had died in the lake.

Nice!  I had no idea where this one might end up.  I like it!  Kind of a pitcher plant lake : )

Be well.

D.
    D. Roman

Offline D. Roman

• View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: May 01, 2020, 08:17:44 am »
    Today's Prompt

Photo Credit - Enriquel Lopez Garre

https://pixabay.com/photos/landscape-storm-rays-clouds-sky-4961094/

Prompt:  Storms were the new normal.  At 3:00 PM every day they rolled in.  The winds and rain scoured the land.  The lightning took care of the rest.  You hid or you died. 

D. Roman

D. Roman

Offline VisitasKeat

• View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: May 02, 2020, 05:24:26 am »
    Today's Prompt

Photo Credit - Peter H.

https://pixabay.com/photos/stairs-escape-route-output-5091557/

Prompt: Tiff and Kat looked up at the light shining down from the city above. Neither one had ever seen light like that.  As long as they'd lived in the underground the sky above had been gray, dark, and unforgiving.

"I don't know, Kat. I don't know. Nothing good."

Year 2023, planet Earth:

The pandemic had worsened, and many countries had started rotting. Poverty and shoplifting became rampant everywhere, especially in United States. The source of the pandemic was found out to be a virus strain created in Chinese labs due to bizzare experiments conducted on bats. The impact of the virus, wherever severe, turned affected humans into vampires. "Bat People" they were also known otherwise. This happened because of mass dumping of dead bodies which resulted in partial decomposition. The population of vampires were steadily increasing all over the economically weakened, left-leaning United States led by a sleepy-faced democratic president. The country was fast losing it's superpower status to China.

The vampires were a menace to the mainstream American society. They hid underground in dark tunnels and sewers throughout the day times but would stalk the unsuspecting citizens during the night times.

Detective Ned, Special Operations Bureau, NYPD, parked his car in a deserted alley. Two stalking incidents had been reported here in the past one hour. In the  first case, apparently a man had simply been airlifted by a vampire. In the second case, a cabbie's blood was apparently feasted upon before the vampire had raced away on the vehicle, playing loud music.

Detective Ned suspected the only tunnel present on the road. He pushed aside the lid and shined his torchlight. The long passage actually led to a secret chamber that used to house spy monitoring and intelligence gathering network systems. Hitherto, the government had given the neighborhood the impression that it was a sewer system.

Tiff and Kat looked up at the light shining down from the city above. Neither one had ever seen light like that.  As long as they'd lived in the underground, the sky above had been gray, dark, and unforgiving.

"I don't know, Kat. I don't know. Nothing good. I think it's because of what Ben and Ritz did tonight."

"Gosh, now we will get the blame if they find us out."

Tiff and Kat were good vampires. They hated their shapeshifter life. But they couldn't resist their craving for human blood. Because of their good nature, they would only feast on the bad humans -- thieves, murderers, and bootleggers. This way they justifed their actions -- they rationalized their killings as service to human society which they longed to belong to, once again. Naturally, Tiff and Kat were castaway by the other vampires and their secret congregations. They were the only one's inhabiting this tunnel.

Detective Ned closed back the lid as he climbed down the steps of the tunnel. Tiff and Kat lurked in their dark hiding spots. The tunnel was wide, stuffed with cement bags, broken tables, and discarded hardware on either side. The pathway didn't even have a switchboard. That was how it was originally designed -- secretive, dirty, and very ordinary.

Detective Ned flashed the light all over the place as he advanced into the tunnel brandishing oak wooden stakes. He was a master vampire hunter and killer, much feared by the species. Tiff and Kat obviously weren't interested in confronting the honest officer. Being good vamps, they only shuffled around in stealth and hid from the searching light. After twenty minutes, Detective Ned climbed out of the tunnel and closed back the lid. The next thing Tiff and Kat heard was the roar of the engine.

Tiff and Kat emerged out of the tunnel. They were relieved.

"Gosh, he could have pierced our hearts," Kat said.

"But we could've killed him too," Tiff said.

"You think we could've won against someone who holds the New York record for slaying vampires."

"Over 2500, isn't it?"

"2631, if you go by yesterday's newspaper."

Tiff couldn't put down her ego. "I could've bit him when he walked past the drum, you know, but lucky him, we don't attack good folks, and that too someone who had killed a lot of our enemies."

"Haha, most of them left this alley and the neighbouring ones fearing Detective Ned!"

"Pity he couldn't get Ben and Ritz."

"Feeding on poor Cabbies and their passengers! Cowards! Why can't they get some goths?"

"Because they respect them! And because goths facilitate accommodation and victims for them!"

"Now, I'm really starving. Come, let's find ourselves some plumpy goths!"

Tiff smiled upon Kat's idea. Terribly hungry, they both darted past the street. They moved around the neighborhood, jumping rooftops and flying past windows till they halted at the ledge of a twenty-first floor of a residential complex. An all-goth party was underway and they were dancing to Cradle of Filth's "Nymphetamine".

Tiff and Kat eyed the ongoings. They whispered to each other in their hiding.

"Tiff, damn it, Ben and Ritz are inside."

"I don't see them."

"Over there, talking with the bloodtender."

"Jeez, yes, I couldn't recognise their backs at first. Yes, it's them, but what are the hell are they doing here?"

"Negotiating with the pimps."

"Pimps?"

"Well, I meant goths!"

"Haha!"

The door of the party hall opened.

"Shush, Tiff, someone is entering the party room, and he has brought along two prisoners in handcuffs."

"Damn, that's Dom. I thought he was like us."

"He must've hunted along with Ben and Ritz."

"Damn, it's the poor cabbie and his passenger."

"We need to save them."

The goths ran helter-skelter when Tiff and Kat flew inside and smashed Dom's face. Dom fell down unconscious. Tiff and Kat broke the handcuffs of the prisoners even as the terribly drunk Ben and Ritz charged towards them.

"Take them, Tiff," Kat said, as she flew towards Ben and Ritz.

"Will do," Tiff said. She flew out of the window along with the cabbie and his passenger.

Kat grabbed the heads of Ben and Ritz and smashed them against each other. Next, she hit them in between their legs. As they both bounced around in agony, Kat flew from one wall to another before smashing their foreheads onto the floor. She then headed into the kitchen.

Half an hour later...

Kat met Tiff inside the tunnel.

"I freed them," Tiff said, slightly disappointed. "It's tough to resist you know, especially when you are terribly hungry."

"No worries, I've brought along a carton of fifty from the bloodtender's counter. Must last for a week!"

Tiff locked lips with Kat. "I love you, Kat."

"And I love you too, Tiff."

Tiff pulled out suddenly.

"What?" Kat asked.

"Ben, Ritz, and Dom... what's up with them?"

"I whacked them over and over again!"

"So, they fainted or simply ran away?"

"They are busy!"

"What do you mean?"

Kat winked. "I threw millets all over them before leaving the place!"

Offline D. Roman

• View Profile
    « Reply #45 on: May 04, 2020, 06:05:30 am »
    Today's Prompt

Photo Credit: Enrique Lopez Garre

https://pixabay.com/photos/fantasy-lighthouse-night-moon-star-5051503/

Prompt:  Geralt shifted his heavy and elderly form in his creaking chair. He grimaced as he looked at his small group of students perched on their boxes. Fewer and fewer seek out the teachings anymore. 

"Of course the lighthouses aren't for the boats," he said answering the first question of the day.  "They're for sailors of another kind altogether. And if you work hard, focus, and apply yourselves maybe, just maybe you'll be a lighthouse keeper someday."

D. Roman
    « Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 06:49:07 am by D. Roman »
    D. Roman

Offline VisitasKeat

• View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: May 05, 2020, 09:32:23 am »
    Today's Prompt

Photo Credit - This one has no real attribution.  It just says Free-Photos. 

https://pixabay.com/photos/hut-shed-house-wooden-planks-731342/

Prompt: Markus rested his hand on the barrel to the right of the door.  He could feel the movement inside slowly beginning. It would only be a few more months until it was ready to emerge.

D. Roman
    Markus rested his hand on the barrel to the right of the door. He could feel the movement inside slowly beginning. It would only be a few more months until it was ready to emerge. Fermentation was still underway in this barrel, as was the case with the other two barrels in the stack. Still, an appreciable amount of sugar in the wine had to get metabolized into ethanol and carbon dioxide. Markus bent and placed his ear on the oak barrel. He could listen to the fizzy more clearly.

"Howdy Mark, how's it coming along?"

The amateur winemaker turned around. It was Billy Cooper, the guy who sold  barrels to professional and home vintners. His cooperage also provided barrels to families for backyard horse racing competitions. Sometimes, the cowgirls rented or bought barrels just for practicing in the backyard. Barrel racing was the craze of this small town in Texas, and Mark's wife, Jill, and Billy's wife, Mae, were among the very best.   

"It's bubbling." Mark listened to the hiss yet again.

"Really?" Billy slapped Mark's' shoulder as he bent and listened. "Another two to three months before bottling."

"Yeah, that's what I was also thinking." Mark straightened up. "But bubbling had stopped two days back and I wanted to start bottling today. But the hiss started off yet again."

"Unless you want the bottles to explode!" Billy  laughed loud. "Stuck fermentation! It could be the hot weather that the yeast hates! Honestly, you need to buy a wine hydrometer."

"Maybe I should."

"Amateurs vintners like you should."

"Okay, thanks, I agree that I'm an amateur, but true connoisseurs don't use fancy measuring apparatuses, right? I aspire to be a master!" Mark laughed. "Anyway, what brings you here?"

"My payment for the three barrels Roy supplied yesterday "

Mark walked to the left of the door and felt the stacked up new barrels. "Oh, these! Yep, she told me but didn't tell me that she didn't pay."

The door opened and the ace rodeo emerged as she flashed a toothpaste smile. "Heya, Billy!"

"Howdy!"

"You've come for the payment, isn't that correct?"

"Yes, that's right!"

"I didn't make the payment deliberately!"

"What do you mean?"

"I thought why not have a backyard competition with Mae!"

Billy adjusted his hat. "I don't understand."

Mark looked on as Jill struck a deal with Billy.

"Billy, your wife is as good as me in barrel racing. In fact, she leads me 7-6 as regards our personal scoreboard. I would like a backyard competition with her. I don't pay for the barrels if I win. But if your wife wins, you can have the three barrels getting ready for bottling. Three empty racing barrels bet against three wine-filled casks. What do you say?"

"I'm game. Winning three wine-filled barrels is more than a deal to me! If Mae wins, I get the same-sized 55 gallons barrels plus 165 gallons of wine! And she WILL win. So, yay!"

Jill smiled. "So, overconfident, aren't you, Billy?"

"Yes! She has never let me down." He turned towards Mark. "So, what do you think?"

Mark shrugged as put an arm over his wife's shoulders. "Whatever you said. I believe in Jill's abilities."

"So, do we have a deal here?" Jill asked, as she raised an eyebrow.

"Yes, deal," as he clashed knuckles with Jill and Mark.

One week later, Billy and Mae arrived at the sprawling backyard of Mark's home. The three empty barrels were laid out in a triangular fashion with each rodeo having to complete the cloverleaf pattern. Mark and Billy maintained the timers.

Mae rode out of the stable, and into the "arena", at top speed. Her horse, Luther, hugged the barrels very well -- he ran clockwise around the first barrel on the right of the start line before heading to the second barrel on the left side. He turned counterclockwise before galloping to the third barrel. He did another counterclockwise hug before heading home into the stable at top speed.

Next, Jill rode out with equal aggression. She completed the first two barrels, but her horse, Kanon, skidded as he turned around the final barrel. Jill was thrown off the saddle and she landed flat on her back. The horse then rode back into the stable even as Mark rushed out to help his wife out of her mess.

Two months later, Billy and Mae realized that the wine in the three barrels they won were spoilt. Terribly upset, Billy shouted at Mark over phone.

"Who's that, sweetie?" Jill asked, as Mark hung the phone.

Mark smiled. "Mae didn't really win!"

"What do you mean?"

"Mark rang up. He called me an idiot vintner! He said brettanomyces spoilt all the wine in the barrels! He said the wine tastes like nail polish!"

Jill was overjoyed. "Woohoo! And what's that brettanomyces anyway?"

Mark laughed. "Some microbe that screws up the yeast and the sugar. They didn't really win, did they? All they have got is three old barrels in exchange for three brand new ones!"

Offline D. Roman

• View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: May 05, 2020, 02:07:23 pm »
    Markus rested his hand on the barrel to the right of the door. He could feel the movement inside slowly beginning. It would only be a few more months until it was ready to emerge. Fermentation was still underway in this barrel, as was the case with the other two barrels in the stack. Still, an appreciable amount of sugar in the wine had to get metabolized into ethanol and carbon dioxide. Markus bent and placed his ear on the oak barrel. He could listen to the fizzy more clearly.

"Howdy Mark, how's it coming along?"

The amateur winemaker turned around. It was Billy Cooper, the guy who sold  barrels to professional and home vintners. His cooperage also provided barrels to families for backyard horse racing competitions. Sometimes, the cowgirls rented or bought barrels just for practicing in the backyard. Barrel racing was the craze of this small town in Texas, and Mark's wife, Jill, and Billy's wife, Mae, were among the very best.   

"It's bubbling." Mark listened to the hiss yet again.

"Really?" Billy slapped Mark's' shoulder as he bent and listened. "Another two to three months before bottling."

"Yeah, that's what I was also thinking." Mark straightened up. "But bubbling had stopped two days back and I wanted to start bottling today. But the hiss started off yet again."

"Unless you want the bottles to explode!" Billy  laughed loud. "Stuck fermentation! It could be the hot weather that the yeast hates! Honestly, you need to buy a wine hydrometer."

"Maybe I should."

"Amateurs vintners like you should."

"Okay, thanks, I agree that I'm an amateur, but true connoisseurs don't use fancy measuring apparatuses, right? I aspire to be a master!" Mark laughed. "Anyway, what brings you here?"

"My payment for the three barrels Roy supplied yesterday "

Mark walked to the left of the door and felt the stacked up new barrels. "Oh, these! Yep, she told me but didn't tell me that she didn't pay."

The door opened and the ace rodeo emerged as she flashed a toothpaste smile. "Heya, Billy!"

"Howdy!"

"You've come for the payment, isn't that correct?"

"Yes, that's right!"

"I didn't make the payment deliberately!"

"What do you mean?"

"I thought why not have a backyard competition with Mae!"

Billy adjusted his hat. "I don't understand."

Mark looked on as Jill struck a deal with Billy.

"Billy, your wife is as good as me in barrel racing. In fact, she leads me 7-6 as regards our personal scoreboard. I would like a backyard competition with her. I don't pay for the barrels if I win. But if your wife wins, you can have the three barrels getting ready for bottling. Three empty racing barrels bet against three wine-filled casks. What do you say?"

"I'm game. Winning three wine-filled barrels is more than a deal to me! If Mae wins, I get the same-sized 55 gallons barrels plus 165 gallons of wine! And she WILL win. So, yay!"

Jill smiled. "So, overconfident, aren't you, Billy?"

"Yes! She has never let me down." He turned towards Mark. "So, what do you think?"

Mark shrugged as put an arm over his wife's shoulders. "Whatever you said. I believe in Jill's abilities."

"So, do we have a deal here?" Jill asked, as she raised an eyebrow.

"Yes, deal," as he clashed knuckles with Jill and Mark.

One week later, Billy and Mae arrived at the sprawling backyard of Mark's home. The three empty barrels were laid out in a triangular fashion with each rodeo having to complete the cloverleaf pattern. Mark and Billy maintained the timers.

Mae rode out of the stable, and into the "arena", at top speed. Her horse, Luther, hugged the barrels very well -- he ran clockwise around the first barrel on the right of the start line before heading to the second barrel on the left side. He turned counterclockwise before galloping to the third barrel. He did another counterclockwise hug before heading home into the stable at top speed.

Next, Jill rode out with equal aggression. She completed the first two barrels, but her horse, Kanon, skidded as he turned around the final barrel. Jill was thrown off the saddle and she landed flat on her back. The horse then rode back into the stable even as Mark rushed out to help his wife out of her mess.

Two months later, Billy and Mae realized that the wine in the three barrels they won were spoilt. Terribly upset, Billy shouted at Mark over phone.

"Who's that, sweetie?" Jill asked, as Mark hung the phone.

Mark smiled. "Mae didn't really win!"

"What do you mean?"

"Mark rang up. He called me an idiot vintner! He said brettanomyces spoilt all the wine in the barrels! He said the wine tastes like nail polish!"

Jill was overjoyed. "Woohoo! And what's that brettanomyces anyway?"

Mark laughed. "Some microbe that screws up the yeast and the sugar. They didn't really win, did they? All they have got is three old barrels in exchange for three brand new ones!"

Wow. I could not have predicted that one! Nice work.

Be Well.

D.
    D. Roman

Offline D. Roman

• View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: May 05, 2020, 02:23:34 pm »
    Today's Prompt

Photo Credit: Jplenio

https://pixabay.com/photos/london-shard-skyscraper-3598951/

Prompt: London, like most cities on Earth, was empty.  The process was supposed to be temporary, but humanity had not been allowed to return to the planet for three years.  The moon habitats were thoughtfully designed, but people wanted to get home.  Kyrie frankly hoped they all stayed on the moon.  She liked having the Great Wen to herself.

D. Roman
    D. Roman

Offline D. Roman

• View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: May 06, 2020, 06:27:27 am »
    Today's Prompt

Photo Credit - Gordon Johnson

https://pixabay.com/vectors/trees-landscape-silhouette-forest-5118309/

Prompt:  Kara didn't remember when the trees turned black and died.  She looked up and stared at them even though it was forbidden.
     She marveled at their dark silhouettes scratching at the daytime sky.   The trees had died but remained standing, stiff, black, and impenetrable.  They stood as a permanent reminder of the world that was. Kara needed to get back to her list.  The medicine wouldn't find itself.

D. Roman

D. Roman

KBoards.com

• Advertisement