Author Topic: Apparent long publishing times - should I publish now?  (Read 711 times)  

Offline Vickie Vaughan

• View Profile
Apparent long publishing times - should I publish now?
« on: May 11, 2020, 06:11:36 pm »
I've been reading how Kindle is taking up to 5-10 days to have books published recently. Have a new release that's up for ARCs and I was planning on putting it up Wednesday night or Thursday morning so it would be live for the weekend (it typically takes 24 hours for me).

If this is the case I don't want to miss the weekend so I should put it up tomorrow and hopefully it will be live for the weekend, but if it goes live too fast it is ahead of my ARC readers. Any suggestions on release strategy?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
      • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
    Re: Apparent long publishing times - should I publish now?
    « Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 03:22:00 am »
    Publish when ready, Gridley!

Everybody's getting whacked these days. I reviewed a book for May 1 publication, and the review was scheduled for the paper's Sunday edition. It had lots of photos and of course an index. The publisher sent me galleys that included the photo spreads, but get this -- THERE WERE NO BOOKS! And the ARC never has the index, so I couldn't check stuff I wanted to check. And if Random House doesn't have physical books a week ahead of publciation day, who will hold it against you?

Why don't you send a PDF if you know the reviewer? A few copies might leak out, but I don't think many people actually read books on a computer. I go through all sorts of contortions to load the PDF when I get one onto my Fire tablet. It's not what I call reading for fun. So the number of sales you'd lose is probably a few to zero.

I do this for a living -- writing books and reviewing books. It's not nearly as mechanical a process as people imagine. It's a lot of hectic, last-minute fixes.
    Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline BerniceBloom

• London
    • Hello, my name's Bernice Bloom. Lovely to meet you
      • View Profile
      • Bernice Bloom
    « Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 03:57:27 am »

Hello, I published my new book last week. I put it up on Sunday night, telling readers it would be available on Tuesday, and it didn't appear until Friday, late afternoon. It took waaaay longer than usual, so I'd definitely get it up there earlier than you normally would. BB

Bernice Bloom | website | Facebook

Hello, I write funny novels about a crazy lady called Mary Brown in my 'Adorable Fat Girl' series. Mary is funny, gorgeous and bonkers. She's also about six stone overweight. When she realises she can't cross her legs and has trouble bending over to tie her shoelaces she knows it's time to take action, so she puts down her pizza and heads to Fat Club where the adventures, mysteries and madness all begin. She's been described as 'Bridget Jones with cake.'
    Bernice Bloom | website | Facebook

Offline Carol Davis

• New York
      • View Profile
      • Carol Davis Author
    « Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 05:45:41 am »
    I'm using two methods:

1) List the book for pre-order. I submitted a new title last week, and the page was up on Amazon within a couple of hours. The "live" date isn't until late August, but I plan to submit the final MS ahead of time, assuming it will go live on schedule.

2) Hit "publish" and let things happen whenever they happen. (For this method, I don't set up any advertising or review schedule. This is mostly my short stories.)

I figure we just have to roll with things for a good long while now.

Offline Vickie Vaughan

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 02:37:30 pm »
    Just in case anyone was wondering - I hit publish and it was actually live faster than usual. Took about 12 hours which is pretty quick for me. I guess the backlog isn't a factor or I just got lucky!

Online Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 07:07:06 pm »
    My times have been normal, for what it's worth.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement