Author Topic: Paperwhite screen not uniform, what's normal?  (Read 423 times)  

Offline DumbHobbes

• View Profile
Paperwhite screen not uniform, what's normal?
« on: May 16, 2020, 07:34:45 am »
Hi, I just purchased a brand new Paperwhite. It's my first e-reader and I'm noticing that the bottom third of the screen looks...not necessarily brighter but whiter in tone? I assume this is due to the backlight placement. It's not drastic but it's noticeable enough that halfway through each page I notice the change and it breaks my concentration/focus.

My question is, how common is this and is it something worth exchanging the Kindle for (To try another of the same model) or is it just something I need to get used to? Again, I've never had an e-reader, much less a Kindle, and so I'm not sure what I should be expecting.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    Re: Paperwhite screen not uniform, what's normal?
    « Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 12:59:14 pm »
    This is something I remember reading about a few years ago with early Paperwhites.  I don't think it was common but it happened now and then.  I've had a lot of the various Paperwhites over the years and I've helped my neighbors in my retirement home with theirs and with all of them it's not something I've ever seen.

Personally if I wasn't happy I'd call Amazon and exchange it for another one.  You should be happy with the device you get.

Something else just occurred to me.  You mention that it's your first ereader.  A lot of my neighbors turn the light up very high when they first get one.  Did you do that?  People read with a brightness level that feels comfortable to them but most people find that to be below the middle level of brightness.  I just looked at my Paperwhite (the latest model) and it's set at brightness 11 out of a possible 24.  I have no idea if setting it a lot higher might be the cause of what you're seeing but it's something to check.

I rarely change the brightness on mine.  If I read in the dark I'd have to reduce the brightness but I prefer reading in a dim to normally bright room.

Barry

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    Re: Paperwhite screen not uniform, what's normal?
    « Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 01:17:08 pm »
    Hi, I just purchased a brand new Paperwhite. It's my first e-reader and I'm noticing that the bottom third of the screen looks...not necessarily brighter but whiter in tone? I assume this is due to the backlight placement. It's not drastic but it's noticeable enough that halfway through each page I notice the change and it breaks my concentration/focus.

My question is, how common is this and is it something worth exchanging the Kindle for (To try another of the same model) or is it just something I need to get used to? Again, I've never had an e-reader, much less a Kindle, and so I'm not sure what I should be expecting.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Screens are very subjective. What bothers one might not even be noticed by another. If the one you got doesn't work for you -- people have reported blotchiness, color too blue, color too yellow, color uneven -- contact Kindle Support and ask them to send you a replacement as you believe the one you have is defective.

But there are some things you can try.  Try turning the light off, then back on. Try restarting the device. If it's a temporary glitch, this might fix it. Also, try varying the light setting -- you might be able to find one where you don't really notice it.

Note it's not a 'back light' but lighting at the edges that flows across the screen. If you tilt the thing sideways, you should be able to see where the lights shine from. Check the specs and see how many you're supposed to have and make sure they're all lit.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement