Author Topic: Question re: Kindle Owners Lending Library and Kindle Unlimited Together  (Read 739 times)  

Offline SeymourKopath

• View Profile
I recently signed up for a 3-month subscription to Kindle Unlimited on a promotional price. Since signing up for Kindle Unlimited, when I go to my Kindle Owners Lending Library (KOLL) wish list to pick this month's book to borrow, I only get the option to read it for free with Kindle Unlimited. I don't see any way to borrow it for free with KOLL.

Does this mean that if I'm a Kindle Unlimited subscriber, Amazon doesn't allow me to get my monthly book through KOLL?

Or am I doing something wrong, and should access my KOLL book in some special way? I'm trying to do this on my Kindle Paperwhite, which has worked as expected for years. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    I think it's more a case of all the books that are available through KOLL are available on KU anyway with no restriction as to when and for how long you can borrow them.

So you're not losing out, just borrow all the books you want through KU. If you decide not to renew your KU subscription then you can go back to your one book monthly KOLL borrow again.
    Linda

Offline SeymourKopath

• View Profile
    So it seems that as long as I'm a KU subscriber, I can't have one KOLL book plus ten KU books on my Paperwhite. Just the ten KU books. Correct?

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    I have KU and I can only checkout 10 books at once pretty sure. I think KOLL is overwritten as the books area also in KU. But to be honest, I haven't really gone deeper on that as once I had KU, it didn't matter to me anymore if I still had KOLL. If that makes sense.

Offline SeymourKopath

• View Profile
    Makes perfect sense based on my experience. Thanks.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    I recently signed up for a 3-month subscription to Kindle Unlimited on a promotional price. Since signing up for Kindle Unlimited, when I go to my Kindle Owners Lending Library (KOLL) wish list to pick this month's book to borrow, I only get the option to read it for free with Kindle Unlimited. I don't see any way to borrow it for free with KOLL.

Does this mean that if I'm a Kindle Unlimited subscriber, Amazon doesn't allow me to get my monthly book through KOLL?

Or am I doing something wrong, and should access my KOLL book in some special way? I'm trying to do this on my Kindle Paperwhite, which has worked as expected for years. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Note that you will only be able to borrow a KOLL book by accessing from a kindle device. You won't see the option when browsing on a computer, non Amazon tablet, or phone.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    Just tested it out from my kindle and the KOLL listings in the store have the kindle unlimited logo over them. I already have 10 KU titles checked out and it will not let me add a 11th for the KOLL.

Offline SeymourKopath

• View Profile
    Thanks for confirming I'm not going crazy!

I'm also having the same issue with Prime Reading titles.

I currently have borrowed 10 titles under my KU subscription. I have fewer than 10 titles borrowed under the Prime Reading program. However, while browsing the Prime Reading catalog and selecting a new title to borrow, I get the screen showing my KU library and am instructed to return a title in order to borrow what should be a Prime Reading title.

Something's screwy here.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    Thanks for confirming I'm not going crazy!

I'm also having the same issue with Prime Reading titles.

I currently have borrowed 10 titles under my KU subscription. I have fewer than 10 titles borrowed under the Prime Reading program. However, while browsing the Prime Reading catalog and selecting a new title to borrow, I get the screen showing my KU library and am instructed to return a title in order to borrow what should be a Prime Reading title.

Something's screwy here.

Yeah .... I think Prime Reading and KU are supposed to be separate.

I had KU for a few months and the behavior Atunah describes concerning how it works with KOLL sounds familiar. BUT, I feel like I remember that Prime books were separate -- because it's a smaller curated catalog but not strictly a subset of KU. For example, there's usually one or more of the Harry Potter books available as well as titles by other authors that are "big name" published.

I could be misremembering, though -- as I say, I only had it a few months -- got some free months on a special deal with a new kindle at some point -- and didn't keep it when the subscription was up. Sorry to not be of more help. :(
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    I have not even tried prime reading. Since I have kindles, prime account and KU, I should what, get 21 books total a month checked out at a time? But that wouldn't really be important to me since I can only read one. But I haven't tried getting to the prime reads yet. So if I have 8 KU titles checked out, then I could get one of the prime reads? Are some of those not part of KU? This is really confusing at this point with those 3 different reading programs.
    Of course I just brewed my coffee and haven't sipped yet, so my brain is a wee bit foggy still.

Offline SeymourKopath

• View Profile
    I **thought** the three programs (KOLL, KU and Prime Reading) were separate and you could borrow and return books from each program independently from the other. Thus, at any one time, you could borrow one book per calendar month from the KOLL program, ten books at a time from the KU program and ten books at a time from the PR program.

Apparently, that's not how it works in reality. Before signing up for a KU subscription, you can have your monthly KOLL book and up to ten PR books. But once you subscribe to KU, you can no longer borrow a new monthly book under the KOLL program. You can keep the one you had, but you've probably already read it. Nor can you return and borrow new books under the PR program, with very limited exceptions. I dug deeper into the PR catalog and observed that almost all books there are accompanied by the "Kindle Unlimited" banner. These are the vast majority of PR books, and they can not be borrowed under the PR program if you are a KU subscriber. A very very few books are accompanied by the "Prime" banner. These can be borrowed under the PR program. I only found one such book after going through the first 20 or so pages of the full PR catalog.

So, bottom line seems to be: once you subscribe to KU, you can keep your current KOLL and PR books and can borrow up to ten KU books. And you can only borrow new PR books that are accompanied by the "Prime" banner in the PR catalog.

I think that's the way it works. I hope my explanation is clear.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    I have not even tried prime reading. Since I have kindles, prime account and KU, I should what, get 21 books total a month checked out at a time? But that wouldn't really be important to me since I can only read one. But I haven't tried getting to the prime reads yet. So if I have 8 KU titles checked out, then I could get one of the prime reads? Are some of those not part of KU? This is really confusing at this point with those 3 different reading programs.
    Of course I just brewed my coffee and haven't sipped yet, so my brain is a wee bit foggy still.

I don't have KU. But I am a prime member and as a Kindle owner have access to KOLL. Here's what seems to be the case.

There's a big overlap in between the KU catalog and the KOLL catalog -- it may even be identical. I have a wish list of KOLL books and borrow one a month as I'm allowed. Generally, if they're in KU -- which the product page always clearly shows -- they're also in KOLL. But, of course, I have to actually borrow from the kindle vs on the computer and send to a device. No biggie. :) Once it's borrowed, I can go to the computer, to Content and Devices and send the KOLL borrowed book to my another device. All I have to remember is whether I borrowed one this month already, and to return it the next month to get another. ;D

Books in Prime Reading are often in KU, but not always. As noted above, there are certainly some 'big publisher' name books that are there. The catalog is not static -- titles wander in and out periodically. A Prime member can have 10 borrowed at a time. Also, if you borrow a book and it later goes out of the Prime catalog, it stays in your account/on your devices until you return it. I have some I borrowed a while ago and I'm sure not all are currently available as PR borrows. :o

Based on the brief time I had KU as well, books in PR that are not big publisher titles, tend to be better written, better edited, and just generally better books. They're clearly curated vs the author/publisher can just push a button to be in the program. Many are from Amazon imprints and/or translations done for Amazon. Translations can vary in quality, but most I've read are pretty good. A few have felt somewhat stilted and/or written to a somewhat low reading level; it's hard to know, in those cases, if it's the translator, or the original text.

As KU is the PAID subscription service, I guess it's not too surprising that any borrows are considered done under that program if you have it. As I say, KOLL is, functionally, using exactly the same catalog, and with PR there's a lot of overlap. The more we talk about this the more I think someone made the discovery about KU and KOLL early on -- namely that it's 10 borrows if you have both and not 10 for KU plus one a month for KOLL.

I don't know that we'd looked closely at PR before. I guess I thought it was pretty separate, but at least it's fair that you can still borrow non-KU books that are in the Prime program. You do pay for the Prime membership (as of course you do for KU) but what you get is so much more than just some free borrows each month. Probably for many the 10 borrows is incidental and probably most Prime subscribers don't use 'em. I'm sure most people use the video freebies more than the book freebies.

And, when you think about it, having 10 books borrowed at a time is probably enough for most people. Except, maybe, all of us here. :D
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement