Author Topic: OUCH!  (Read 1145 times)  

Online EdwardR

• View Profile
OUCH!
« on: May 20, 2020, 04:44:08 pm »
OUCH!  A problem with Amazon.

I first published my book in 2018 directly to Amazon and Barnes & Noble, plus D2D for all other book sites. 

In 2019 I updated my book, correcting some important issues. All went well. The Look Inside was the new update - I could tell because of the changes I made in the first section of the book. 

In 2020 I again updated my eBook correcting some grammar issues.  The Look Inside showed the new changes - knowing this because I changed the very first sentence of the first paragraph of the book.

I recently decided to download the eBook version to my Kindle for the PC to check to see if it looked proper.  To my surprise the original version of my eBook, which I published in 2018, was the version that was downloaded to my Kindle PC.  I uploaded the 2020 version again, making sure I clicked the publish button.  All was good. The book on the Amazon page and the Look Inside was correct.  Again, the eBook downloaded was the 2018 version. I contacted Amazon through Contact Us and they corrected the problem, whatever the problem was.

I again downloaded the eBook to my Kindle PC and this time it was the correct 2020 version. I then ordered a retail copy of my Paperback and was surprised to receive the 2019 version and not the 2020 version. I contacted Amazon and they corrected the issue, whatever the issue was.
Today I received the paperback via US Postal Service and it was the correct 2020 version.

I checked my book on Barnes & Noble by purchasing the eBook and the retail copy of the Paperback.  Both were up to date with the newest 2020 version.  Three cheers for Barnes & Noble.  Kobo was also correct.

Even if the Look Inside perfectly shows the newest updated manuscript, downloading the eBook to a Kindle reader to check to see if it is correct now certainly seems to be necessary.
Ed

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Sandy J Hartwick

• Southern Idaho
    • Everyone is weird; some are weirder than others.
      • View Profile
      • sandyjhartwick.com
    Re: OUCH!
    « Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 05:23:46 pm »
    What an unpleasant surprise! Technology! ::)

Thanks for sharing, I will have to watch for that.

Online Gessert Books

• Madison, WI
    • Book Layout and Formatting by Phillip Gessert
      • View Profile
      • Gessert Books: Book Layout and Formatting
    « Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 06:36:41 pm »
    If you ever bought your ebook on Amazon, it'll download the bought version over and over again, regardless of later updates, unless you ask them to force it. Can't speak to what happened with the paperback.

Online EdwardR

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 07:13:02 pm »
    If you ever bought your ebook on Amazon, it'll download the bought version over and over again, regardless of later updates, unless you ask them to force it.

That sounds interesting and possible. But is there any proof that supports that statement?

Offline boxer44

• USA
      • View Profile
      • WordWizard
    « Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 08:11:55 pm »
    Yes, Gessert Books is correct - you have to ask for the updated version.

When a book is updated, Amazon sends out a notice to anyone that bought it and tells them update is available.   

Possible it got missed - but unless you ask for the push, you get same version as you bought.

Online Gessert Books

• Madison, WI
    • Book Layout and Formatting by Phillip Gessert
      • View Profile
      • Gessert Books: Book Layout and Formatting
    « Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 08:17:27 pm »
    That sounds interesting and possible. But is there any proof that supports that statement?

Relatively common knowledge.

Offline LeonardDHilleyII

• Author of Sci-fi Thrillers/Fantasy/Urban Fantasy
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 02:11:45 am »
    I discovered the same thing had occurred with one of my novels. Worrisome.

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
      • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
    « Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 02:29:57 am »

This has been the case at least since 2008, which was the first time I updated and tried to read a revised version of a Kindle edition.

You must use the Contact Us link on KDP and ask Support to "push" the revised version to your Kindle archives. They used to ask you to swear you didn't mind losing all your valuable notes and highlights, but now they seem to have given up, and will simply push it. You can then download it again from Manage Content & Devices, if it doesn't automagically appear on your device or app.

There is a mysterious but firm belief at Amazon that we couldn't possibly want to sacrifice our highlights....
    Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline nail file

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 04:18:46 am »

How about when it happens? An author recently revamped a nonfiction book I had bought in 2015. When I went to see if I could get the updated version, I had to contact Amazon for them to manually push the new version to my Kindle because I had no way to redownload it or even buy it again. There was no buy button. Because I had already bought it years ago.

This is not the first time to happen to me. I can assume if it's happened to me, it happens to others.

Offline ImaWriter

• Canada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 05:03:54 am »
    So you come and ask for info and then want us to prove it's true? Amazon has the info buried somewhere in their help pages. I've read it.

I've also read that there is no guarantee they will indeed push your update. There is no guarantee there will be a notification in a buyer's library telling them there is one available. If you have no notification and you have updated, you know this is true.

Pushing an update is entirely up to their discretion, and they tell you so. If you need proof of that you'll have to find it in their help pages.

Offline Kingdavid757

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 10:02:34 am »
    I had a book where at one point, I had a new edit and updated the cover. it had been live for months. I was speaking to a friend, who had bought the paperback before the changes and I told him I would send him a new paperback.  so I bought the paperback on amazon and had it sent directly to that person. When he received it, it was the original paperback, no new edits, and the old cover.

I contacted amazon, told them my issue. they told me that once a new file is in the system as far as covers and interior, the printer should only have those files. maybe that printer didn't update. they contacted the printer, told them to update and said they would send out a new book.

My friend get another book... still the same old book with the old cover lol.  So I ordered a book and had it sent to me. I got the correct book. but my book was printed at a different location than the one that was sent to my friend.

I contacted amazon again, they apologized, said they would send out another copy.

This time the friend received 2 copies of the book, dont know why they sent him 2.  Both were still the old book. so he ended up with 4 copies of the old book lol I ended up just mailing him the copy I purchased
    Genre: Fantasy, Thriller, Science Fiction

Author Central | Mailing List | Website

Online EdwardR

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 08:10:38 am »
    I found this in the "Help Topics."
    Ed

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G200966010
    « Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 08:16:43 am by Edward Rabroziss »

Offline Jay Bell

• No matter the genre, it's all about heart.
      • View Profile
      • Jay Bell Books
    « Reply #12 on: May 25, 2020, 04:27:58 pm »
    I found this in the "Help Topics."
    Ed

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G200966010

That sounds interesting and possible. But is there any proof the you found the link yourself and not someone else? ;)

Offline unkownwriter

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 06:50:55 pm »

Years and years of watching it happen, plus I think Amazon said it in an email once, years ago. They don't waste time updating people's files anymore because they got some mad customers. If you can convince them the corrections are "major", they might agree to send a notification to your account (on the manage content link), so you can download the update.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement