Author Topic: Need to move a book from my KDP Bookshelf to the author's own KDP account.  (Read 641 times)  

Offline omaha

• View Profile
Help please!  I got involved in 'helping' a friend to self-publish his paperback book through KDP (we haven't attempted the e-book yet). 

This turned out to mean doing the cover design, editing and formatting his multiple Word files, combining them into a .pdf, submitting the manuscript for processing and, finally, publishing it. Stupidly, I did all this through my own KDP account / bookshelf, forgetting that - if and when he makes a sale - the payment will also come through my account.   This is not what I intended - just got carried away with tying to get it online for him ... 

I've now asked him to set up his own KDP account, with his own bank and tax info, but I've no idea how to put the paperback on his bookshelf, and get rid of it from mine!  Do I need to ask Amazon to do this, please?  Or can I just get him to submit the cover and m/s to his new account?  Will there be an issue with 2 books of the same name, same ISBN etc?  Can I just rename my version?  And can he the apply for a new ISBN KDP when he submits the m/s to his own account, under its original title?  Any help gratefully received.  I've seen a few posts here about authors taking back their rights, and republishing books previously on the bookshelves of their promoters / agents but it's not quite the same thing?  Thanks for your time.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
      • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
    This is a very sticky business, since Amazon expressly forbids us to manage someone else's account. I think that before you contact KDP Support, you go to the Kindle Community forums and do a search for posts similar to yours, to get an idea of others' experience in sorting out such a problem.
    Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline Sleeping Cat Books

• View Profile
    Each KDP account is a publisher account. By publishing his book through your account, you've become his publisher, whether you intended this or not.

You'll have to issue a reversion of rights letter to him. Unpublish the book from your account. He must set it up in his account, with a new ISBN, and KDP will likely ask him for proof that he has the rights to republish the content (that's where the reversion of rights letter comes in).

ISBNs cannot be transferred.

Offline omaha

• View Profile
    Thanks for both replies to my question.  Very helpful.  At least I now know what to do to put things right!  Thanks again.

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
    Sarah's route seems straightforward. Your author probably should have it all set up and ready to go before you involve KDP Support in the matter. That way there's be the least down time for the book. I don't think it can't actually be transferred, rather than un-published on one account and published on the other, but it might be. That's why I suggested looking for posts from people who've gone through the process before.

• View Profile
    Your author probably should have it all set up and ready to go before you involve KDP Support in the matter. That way there's be the least down time for the book. I don't think it can't actually be transferred, rather than un-published on one account and published on the other, but it might be.
    ISBNs cannot be transferred, so no, I doubt KDP would transfer any other part of the project, and it would likely be simpler for all involved to leave customer support out of it entirely and just unpublish on the OP's account and republish on the author's.

Online Lick Darsey

• View Profile
    Another issue to consider is that the product page for print editions never goes away on Amazon if a copy has been sold. I'm not sure what happens in the event of no sales. I made this mistake early on when I started self-publishing. I really wish I had known this before publishing paperback copies my first book.

It's possible to link product pages when the books are under the same account. I'm not sure what happens if the same book is published under different accounts.

Lick Darsey | blog

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
    If it's substantially the same book, even in different editions from different publishers, Amazon will link them, sometimes to our disadvantage.

Offline TaraCrescent

• View Profile
    ISBNs cannot be transferred, so no, I doubt KDP would transfer any other part of the project, and it would likely be simpler for all involved to leave customer support out of it entirely and just unpublish on the OP's account and republish on the author's.

My co-author and I moved a book between our accounts recently, and this is in essence what KDP asked us to do. She unpublished, and I republished as a second edition. Email KDP support first so they know you're going to do it - the moment she unpublished and I republished, I got a 'prove you own the copyright' question, and it helped that we had records of our communication with KDP Support.

(Once you publish the second edition, you can write to Amazon and ask them to link up the reviews if there are any.)

Offline omaha

• View Profile
    Thanks for further replies - haven't been able to logon for a couple of days - all very much appreciated.  Thanks again. 

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
    My co-author and I moved a book between our accounts recently, and this is in essence what KDP asked us to do. She unpublished, and I republished as a second edition. Email KDP support first so they know you're going to do it - the moment she unpublished and I republished, I got a 'prove you own the copyright' question, and it helped that we had records of our communication with KDP Support.

(Once you publish the second edition, you can write to Amazon and ask them to link up the reviews if there are any.)

That's very interesting, thank you! So the "second edition" gets a new ASIN? If the same policy is followed with a paperback, then the earlier book remains on the Amazon store forever, as such things are measured now. A bit of a problem there, though nothing that many hasty authors haven't encountered already.

• View Profile
    So the "second edition" gets a new ASIN?
    Of course. It's a new project, in a new publisher account, so a new product with a new product number.

Offline TaraCrescent

• View Profile
    Of course. It's a new project, in a new publisher account, so a new product with a new product number.

Yes. This is something we would have liked to avoid, since we weren't trying to get anyone to buy the book again - and in fact, having a new ASIN has created a lot of extra work adjusting backmatters and such - but according to the people we talked to at KDP, this was the only way for us to do it.   

ETA: For the paperbacks, she unpublished the paperback and I set up a new paperback, new ISBN, etc. Pretty similar to the ebook process.

Offline unkownwriter

• View Profile
    Each KDP account is a publisher account. By publishing his book through your account, you've become his publisher, whether you intended this or not.

You'll have to issue a reversion of rights letter to him. Unpublish the book from your account. He must set it up in his account, with a new ISBN, and KDP will likely ask him for proof that he has the rights to republish the content (that's where the reversion of rights letter comes in).

ISBNs cannot be transferred.

This. It's a pain for this author, as Amazon likely will give him grief over the book, but you'll be better off having it out of your account.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement