Author Topic: Syncing behavior, update 5.12.5 (merged thread)  (Read 1519 times)  

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
    • View Profile
Syncing behavior, update 5.12.5 (merged thread)
« on: May 21, 2020, 04:27:13 am »
So, I regularly read on a PW kindle but at night I use an Oasis. So I'm syncing to most recent page regularly.

This morning, when I picked up my PW to update it based on my reading before bed last night, instead of the small pop up in the middle, there was a popup at the bottom. I could tap the sentence to go to where I left off -- it gave the specific page -- or tap an X to close the dialog. Once I tapped it to go, it gave me the option to change my mind. There was also a line marking the two 'stops' -- where I left off on the two devices.

Off to play and see what else randomly changed over night. ;) AND to see if the Oasis is doing the same thing -- last night it was still doing it the old way.
My Kindles
Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    Re: New Behavior when syncing
    « Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 05:06:49 am »
    After a little more exploration.

The Aa menu also looks a bit different, but doesn't seem to have any new functions. (edit: actually it does, see below)

In settings, I went to Device Options and there are one or two new/changed things in Advanced Options.

One is 'storage management'. Now, possibly this has been there for a while, but I don't recall that we used to be able to remove things en masse. There's an option to manually remove all of any one type of thing and also to archive anything that's not been accessed within a period of time. There are 4 options from 1 month to a year. It also clearly says how much storage is being used vs how much is free.

The Popular Highlights, Book Mentions, and Word Wise are no longer in Reading Options. They're now part of the Aa menu while you have a book open.

FYI, the firmware is 5.12.5
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 10:00:26 am »
    Pretty sure the storage option has been there for some time, but yes, the Aa menu changes are new and they did make changes to the last read. I haven't tested it yet as I only read on my Oasis3 right now, but from what I read, it should let you pick per device on where you are synced. Or somesuch thing.

Online LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 11:26:25 am »
    Mine has had airplane mode turned off for a few days but is still on 5.12.4. I do see the storage management options you speak of. The AA page is VERY different than the last time I looked at it.
    My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    There's no bad day if you have a good book.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 12:28:11 pm »
    Pretty sure the storage option has been there for some time, but yes, the Aa menu changes are new and they did make changes to the last read. I haven't tested it yet as I only read on my Oasis3 right now, but from what I read, it should let you pick per device on where you are synced. Or somesuch thing.

Hmmm.  I only regularly read on 2 different devices. Maybe I'll see if my spare Voyage is charged up and do some experiments. I'm sure none of my currently reading books are on it so I'd have to download some things to see. :)
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 05:29:56 am »
    It's interesting you say there's been a change to the syncing feature.

The last couple of days my PW4 and Voyage have refused to sync - I've never had problems before - and when I just checked my PW4 has updated, but not the Voyage. I suppose it's possible that the difference could interfere with the syncing. I'll manually update the Voyage and see if it helps.
    Linda

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 06:37:38 am »
    The Oasis still has the 'old' way of showing syncing ... or did as of last night before bed.

Checked my Voyage this morning and it had 'update your kindle' available so I did that ... haven't checked further on it yet.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 07:03:40 am »
    So I updated my Voyage but it still won't sync with my PW4 - in either direction. And it's not just that it won't do it automatically, even when I choose it from the menu, it tells me I'm already at the furthest page read, when I'm not.

The only way to get to the right page is to delete the book and then download it again. Doing that it opens at the correct page - which means the info is getting to Amazon, it's just not coming back.  ???

As I said, this only started in the last day or so, it's been fine up until then. Maybe a reboot will do the trick - although they will have both had to restart to install the update anyway. Weird.
    Linda

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 09:06:34 am »
    I tested it with my O3 and O1. Both are on 5.12.5, the latest update. I don't have any new sync options. Still the popup on the middle saying you are on locaton bla bla on "nameofdevice". And either yes or no and that is it. No bottom popup with more details. This only worked going from O3 to O1. When I tried it the other way around, I didn't get the popup and had to use sync to furthest read from menu. So not all functionable yet on my end.

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 09:13:03 am »
    The only way to get to the right page is to delete the book and then download it again. Doing that it opens at the correct page - which means the info is getting to Amazon, it's just not coming back.  ???

That happened to me a couple of times and both times I found out it was because Amazon had updated the book on one of the devices and not the other.  Both times I deleted the book from both devices, downloaded it again to both and things went back to normal.

I'm not saying that's what's going on with you but it might be worth trying.

Barry

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 09:43:55 am »
    My auto sync seems to have returned, but it's the old box in the middle of the page - no pop-up at the bottom with extra options. I do however have the new Aa options.  ::)

I'm just happy the sync is fixed - I regularly swap between two devices so having that on the fritz was a bit irritating - the rest seems a lot like change for change sake and I can live without it till they get it sorted.
    Linda

Offline Koi

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 10:16:52 am »
    It seems to me, every other time they update stuff, the sync on my Kindles goes haywire for months.  I pick up a device, and it wants to go backward, to a much farther behind page on a different device that was not the most recently used.  Its done this before, and its doing it yet again right now.  Never is the farthest page read the actual page it offers to go to.  Its going to be doing this for a while, and I get tetchy about it. 

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 08:23:03 am »
    My auto sync seems to have returned, but it's the old box in the middle of the page - no pop-up at the bottom with extra options. I do however have the new Aa options.  ::)

I'm just happy the sync is fixed - I regularly swap between two devices so having that on the fritz was a bit irritating - the rest seems a lot like change for change sake and I can live without it till they get it sorted.

I take it back - my syncing problems have returned. What's more, not only are my e-ink Kindles not syncing but my Audible books aren't always syncing either when I switch between the app on my phone and Alexa - but only in the one direction.  ???

I checked to see if my whispersync settings had changed (like the default device settings manage to change by themselves periodically) but it's still turned on.

I'm beginning to wonder if Amazon have a system wide problem that's affecting random accounts. Grrrrr.  >:( >:(
    Linda

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    New Oasis Update 5.12.5
    « Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 09:40:46 am »
    I checked for a change last night when I saw a new option on the menu as I was ready to remove a book I had finished reading. 

Under "What's New" in the settings, it says this is an April 2020 update and:

"Read seamlessly across devices: Over the next few weeks you will see an updated page location dialog that gives you helpful information on your recent location, and makes it easier to navigate between the current and the most recently read page.

Performance improvements, bug fixes, and other general enhancements."

I'm on an Oasis 2.  The first of two changes I noticed is when touching for the top menu within a book, at the bottom of the page it now tells me I'm in Chapter 5, on Page 66 of 293, have 2 hrs 43 mins left in book, and am at 22% (I think it is odd that a location number is not included).

The second is when choosing the 3-dot menu beside a title on the home page.  I now have the option of "Remove Download" and "Permanently Delete" in addition to the usual Add To Collection, etc.

Those are the only changes I notice.  I don't sync between any devices, so don't know if this update when it finally comes through will correct (or maybe was the cause of) the sync problems some folks have been having.

ETA:  Oops, I see Ann mentions the 5.12.5 update in her thread about syncing weirdness. Feel free to combine this comment into that thread.
    « Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 09:44:34 am by crebel »

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    Re: Syncing behavior, update 5.12.5 (merged thread)
    « Reply #14 on: June 04, 2020, 09:54:33 am »
    I did merge crebel's thread as she suggested -- and renamed the whole thing. :)

The weird thing for me is both my PW and Oasis have the same version: 5.12.5. But the menus and syncing dialog boxes are different. It does say "over the next few weeks" so maybe it's just that the changes have pushed to one and not the other.

Linda, I think this 'update' might also be the reason for yours acting weird, too. It's dated April 2020.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: June 04, 2020, 10:01:07 am »
    Linda, I think this 'update' might also be the reason for yours acting weird, too. It's dated April 2020.

Quite possibly. Although I have the update on both the Kindles I'm currently using (a Voyage and a PW4) I still have the old syncing dialogue box on both. Perhaps, as you say, when it completes the update the problems will resolve. Fingers crossed .... 
    Linda

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: June 04, 2020, 10:05:10 am »
    Quite possibly. Although I have the update on both the Kindles I'm currently using (a Voyage and a PW4) I still have the old syncing dialogue box on both. Perhaps, as you say, when it completes the update the problems will resolve. Fingers crossed .... 

It's weird the way this update is coming out. I have the old syncing dialog box on the Oasis and the new one on the PW. For most books. I think I noticed yesterday that, on one book, when I synced the PW, it was the old dialog. I'll have to pay more attention. But at least it IS syncing in both directions.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: June 04, 2020, 06:02:05 pm »
    I'm starting to wonder how much I like Amazon's updates.  They have given us some good features from time to time but just as often they've made those good features overly complex so I stopped using them.  A good example is X-Ray, which I thought was great for recalling characters in the book I hadn't seen for a while.  Then they decided to make it do a lot more and now I can still use it for that but it's just not worth the trouble.  I use text search instead, which is much easier and faster and more graceful a way to remember characters than the new X-Ray even though it's not as good as the original X-Ray.

Another example is the more complex bookmarks.  I don't use bookmarks a lot but when I do I grumble now.  I used to think that was a nice feature till they "fixed" it.

I do like the bold text and they haven't messed that up yet.  Maybe they won't.  Maybe.

A lot of discussion on Mobliereads is about avoiding updates.  I've always downloaded the updates a day or two after they're available but now I'm wondering why.

By the way I installed 5.12.5 a few days ago.  I always keep my Wifi on but none of the new changes you guys are seeing have appeared yet.  Honestly I hope they don't.  I don't want to accidentally delete a book from my library.  Yes I know they warn me and give me a chance to change my mind but when I stay awake in bed, just barely, till the wee hours to finish a book I don't think warnings are enough.  I can't be trusted to do anything right at those times.  I read mostly on my phone these days so I guess I'm pretty safe except for those times when I do read on my Kindle.

I use a couiple of older Paperwhites to loan to my neighbors when they want to read a book.  Other than that I'm finding myself liking my Kindles less and less as time goes by and they keep changing.

By the way, I left out the complaint that actually prompted me to make this post so here it is in case anyone is still reading:  changing the user interface with every update or two, even if they're positive changes, makes the thing more difficult to use for a lot of readers, especially the least tech inclined.  That's a basic principal of interface design that was taught in every class I ever took on the topic.  It was usually explained, illustrated and then they'd move on to something else because the inherent problems were so blatantly obvious once they were pointed out.  I guess that's not obvious to Amazon.  I wonder if it's just their answer to the pundits complaint about ereaders (and many other devices) that we aren't getting enough features.

Here I'm talking about changing the way we use old features.

Barry

Online LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: June 04, 2020, 09:18:00 pm »
    It's not just Amazon. So many make changes just because they can or because they incorrectly believe they have to make changes every ## days/weeks/months or they've failed somehow. Kroger changed their website so you can't refill prescriptions online anymore without SIGNIFICANTLY more hassles and nuisances. Edmunds.com changes their compare cars page regularly and rarely for the better. It's too bad places can't leave things alone when they aren't broken.
    My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    There's no bad day if you have a good book.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement