Author Topic: I hope this isn't a silly question...  (Read 531 times)  

Offline E.B. Roshan

• View Profile
I hope this isn't a silly question...
« on: May 22, 2020, 10:14:18 am »
I'm a very new author (first book just published, second coming out later this summer) and, while I'd love for people to read and enjoy my books, I don't have money to throw at promoting/publicizing them. And by that I mean, my budget is $0. So I figured this might be a good place to ask if there are any promotional websites, etc. out there that are free and still work...at least a little bit. Any ideas?

BTW, I know if I wanted to make real money I'd have to fork out some. I'm not trying to make a living on this by any means. It's just a personal project, but since I've put the effort into creating this series, I'd like it to be read.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Lydniz

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Credentials
    Re: I hope this isn't a silly question...
    « Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 11:13:35 am »
    If your books are in a series you might consider writing a short prequel then joining a promotion on Bookfunnel to give it away. A short story will act as a funnel to the paid book, and the promotion will help you build your mailing list for the release of the next book.

Offline BelindaWhite

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 11:28:01 am »
    With a zero dollar budget for promotion, here is what I would recommend:

1) Make sure that you claim your book in Author Central. It helps.
    2) Claim your author profile on BookBub and claim your books there (takes a few days, but once done, people who find and like your books can 'follow' you to be alerted to new releases, etc.
    3) Create a FB Author page and share it with your FB friends. Ask them to do you a favor and share a post or two for you.
    4) Create a Twitter account for your author name. Don't over do it, but Tweet occasionally about your books with good hashtags (#)
    5) Search Facebook for reader groups in your genre. Ideally, you want ones that will allow authors to post about their books there. Read the rules and obey them. Then engage with readers that just might like you enough to check out your book.
    6) If you aren't in KDP Select (Kindle Unlimited), you should be. Once you gain a following, you can put your books on other platforms, but in my opinion, in your current situation, you need the little added boost that KU can give you. Every borrow counts as a sale and that can help your book get lower in the ranks and better visibility.

And last but not least, keep writing. The more books you have out, the more visibility you will have.

Hope this helps in some way.

Belinda

Offline alhawke

• View Profile
      • A.L. Hawke website
    « Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 01:11:24 pm »
    I agree with ^^. If you don't have $, you can still promote. When you have another title or two, you might want to try a free promo. This provides the most advertising without cost. Or, you can offer a limited $0.99. I'd run a promo every 3-6 months to get readers' eyes on your book.

I'm going to post a separate post today with a list of free current promos as a reference. Good luck and hope that helps.

A.L. Hawke | Author website | Goodreads | BookBub

Offline E.B. Roshan

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 02:03:47 pm »
    Thanks so much! Those are all excellent ideas. I did already have the Amazon/Author Central account, but now I've signed up for a Bookbub one too.

Offline ShaneCarrow

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 12:34:48 am »
    When you release your second book, make your first book free for a couple days. Promote that using the free newsletter services. You can find lists for them all over google, here's one:

https://the-digital-reader.com/2018/01/21/nates-big-list-free-paid-book-promotion-websites/

edit - and I didn't realise while writing this that A.L. Hawke just compiled a list here on Kboards: https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,323489.0.html

Most of them aren't worth a damn (in fact most of the ones that charge aren't worth a damn these days either) and it's tedious, frustrating work to input your book info for them one after the other. But if you literally have no budget to work with, it's better than nothing, and maybe if you throw enough at the wall, something sticks. All it costs you is time.

And, obviously, during that free period, also promote the hell out of it on your twitter and Facebook accounts.

Shane Carrow

Offline atree

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 01:04:04 am »
    Make your book 0.99 and give this site 5 bucks.
    https://www.bookspry.com/promote-your-book/

You won't become rich but the 5 will turn into 10, or 20 or 100 and you will gain exposure. Skip a meal for a single day and you have your 5 bucks to invest.

It's how I financed promotion with nothing in the bank when I began. I quit smoking, quit candy, quit snacks, quit fastfood, quit buying clothes, quit cable TV, quit magazines, cut my own hair, used a bike to get around and quit eating breakfast.
    2 real meals a day and water.
    All of a sudden I had +200 dollars a month to promote with. It turned into profit soon enough and in the process I lost 10 pounds.

Those first books flunked and died though. I didn't know what I was doing which is ok, but they made profit as long as I promoted them. Learned a ton while doing it.

Offline E.B. Roshan

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 08:28:21 am »
    So it sounds like it's all right to submit the same book to the same promo site more than once, then? I don't want to end up a spammer, but I suppose if you wait a few months between submissions, and offer it at a special discounted price each time you do, then that's all right. At least that's what I understand. Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

I've thrown my book at some of those free sites, and when the next comes out in a couple of months I plan to make them both .99 cent specials for a time and submit them both again.

Not sure how to make a book free on Amazon...seems .99 cents is the lowest you can go.

Offline alhawke

• View Profile
      • A.L. Hawke website
    « Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 11:06:38 am »
    There's a constant rotation of readers from these sites. Your first promo is always your strongest, but you will still get newfound interest with future advertising. For the same book, promos should be sent out every 3-6months, or longer. You can always drop from 99c to free within a month, though. And series books always do better because promoting one book promotes the other.

You can sell a book on Amazon for free with either KU free days or wide by asking for price matching. Check out prior posts for tips on price matching, it's not as easy as KU but can be done.
    « Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 11:08:30 am by alhawke »

A.L. Hawke | Author website | Goodreads | BookBub

KBoards.com

• Advertisement