Author Topic: Buying a new Kindle while abroad?  (Read 398 times)  

Offline pekslein

• View Profile
    • https://walmartone.me/
Buying a new Kindle while abroad?
« on: June 15, 2020, 06:03:28 am »
Hi! I've been using my Kindle Voyage for over 5 years now and am considering upgrading to the 2019 Kindle Oasis. The thing is, I'm an American currently studying abroad in the UK until the end of May. Would there be issues if I were to buy the device here? Should I wait until summer to get it when I get back to America?

Also, the only one I see on Amazon right now is the International Version. Is there a difference between that and the one I'd get if I were still in the US?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    Re: Buying a new Kindle while abroad?
    « Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 05:55:17 am »
    It used to be that if you were a US person traveling abroad, you could tell Amazon and still have access to the US store, vs having to purchase things via the local country store. If you have access to Amazon US and can buy and order books for kindle from them, you should be able to buy a kindle as well. The difficulty might be where to ship and how much they charge.

I don't know if, any more, there is a difference among kindles sold in the various countries. Almost certainly not if you're getting a WiFi only model. There might possibly be if you want one with a cellular connection since cell networks have different protocols in different countries.

All that said: if you're coming back in a couple of months, and the Voyage is working fine, I'd be inclined to wait.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement