Author Topic: Library borrowing on Kindle -- a PSA  (Read 631 times)  

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
    • View Profile
Library borrowing on Kindle -- a PSA
« on: June 21, 2020, 04:40:54 am »
So, most of us know that we can borrow kindle books via Overdrive from many libraries -- at least in the US. Shortly after the feature became available, they added the ability to return the books directly from the Kindle. Many of us embraced this as quicker than having to go to the library/overdrive site to find the book and manually return it. BUT, I've discovered it doesn't always work.

I noticed it a month or so ago -- I'd returned a book and it was gone from my kindle and shown as 'borrow expired' on the manage content page of Amazon. BUT I happened to be at the library website which showed it as still checked out to me. Which, of course, means that my copy isn't available to anyone else. :( Since then I've paid closer attention and made a point of checking and it's consistent: you 'return' it from kindle and it shows 'borrow expired' in you content, but the book is still checked out per the library website.

I assume it will automatically return at the end of the borrowing period. But if you, like me, would like to return it early so it's available for another library patron, you might want to check directly via the library site. I am pretty sure that it used to work properly; no idea when it stopped.

My Kindles
Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Maura

• View Profile
    Re: Library borrowing on Kindle -- a PSA
    « Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 10:50:33 am »
    I've noticed the same. Wonder if something has to be done of the library side and it's not getting done with all the virus reaction. My library has been closed for months. Can still borrow ebooks, return, put on hold, etc., but couldn't even return a physical book borrowed before the shutdown until recently, and now they have this convoluted process for borrowing physical books where you wait outside, text them, and sit there for 20 minutes until someone brings the books and puts them in your open trunk.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 11:56:35 am »
    I've noticed the same. Wonder if something has to be done of the library side and it's not getting done with all the virus reaction. My library has been closed for months. Can still borrow ebooks, return, put on hold, etc., but couldn't even return a physical book borrowed before the shutdown until recently, and now they have this convoluted process for borrowing physical books where you wait outside, text them, and sit there for 20 minutes until someone brings the books and puts them in your open trunk.

Maybe ... but, I don't see why that would affect anything. The on line borrowing stuff is pretty automatic, I'd think.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Online barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 12:42:09 pm »
    Another possibility is that either Amazon or Overdrive or both made some change to their system that affected this and they didn't realize it.  My guess, and it's only that, is that both are always updating and fixing things and that requires a good bit of testing and they might be shorthanded because of the virus.

Again, I'm just guessing.  I don't know any of this.  I do know how much testing is needed when even small changes are made.

Barry

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 07:30:51 pm »
    That is interesting. I admit, most times I end up just letting it expire as it goes. As I am often behind these days. But I used to return it when I was done and thought it would open it up for someone else. I have usually a few lined up now that I don't bother with returning early anymore. Plus, if I return, it messes with my "read" collection on my kindles. If I let it expire normally, it stays in the cloud so I can add the "ghost" book to me read list. If I return, I can't do that.

So I guess there is no point now worrying about it then. I uses the full checkout period. 2 of my libraries have 21 days, one has 14 days.

Our libraries just started doing a similar thing. I am in San Antonio and now you reserve your books. They let you know when they are ready. You arrive and call them. They place the books on a table outside the door and you pick them and go on your way. At least they are having checkouts again for those that need paper books. I am all ebooks at this point but many still checkout paper books. They also don't touch the books for I think 48 hours after drop off.

Offline gdae23

• NYC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 11:29:35 pm »
    I noticed this recently when I used the iPad Kindle app, which I do occasionally. I had returned a book early several days before, directly from my Kindle, and the return went through on my Kindle. But the book was still in the iPad app and available to be read in full. So that's another place to check if you use that app.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement