Author Topic: Library Extension for Firefox  (Read 351 times)  

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
    • View Profile
Library Extension for Firefox
« on: June 21, 2020, 04:47:08 am »
I think I've shared this before but here it is again in case I'm misremembering and/or people didn't see it.

I mostly use Firefox as my browser and there's an extension/add on called "Library Extension" that you can get for it. Once activated, and set up with your libraries, it works with both Amazon and GoodReads (probably other sites as well).

So, when you're on a book page, the extension does a check of the libraries you've listed and shows you, right there on the product/information page, whether the book is available at the selected libraries. It will look for both eBooks and audio books. If it's available immediately there will be a 'borrow' button; if not there's a 'view' button. Either one takes you to the libarary's page where you can borrow, wish list, or hold it.

Again: it works both on Amazon AND on GoodReads. I suspect it works on other book selling sites as well and maybe other book organization/review sites as well. It is, for me, the easiest way to figure out if a book that's caught my eye is available to borrow!
My Kindles
Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    Re: Library Extension for Firefox
    « Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 09:46:01 am »
    This also works on Amazon UK, even though you can't actually borrow Kindle books from UK libraries. It will tell you if there's a an epub or audio version available.

I initially thought it didn't work as all the books I looked at on Amazon said that no copy was available at the library but eventually one or two did show up. I'm not sure if that's because I have unusual reading habits compared to most library patrons or because the digital side of the library is very limited. This does make it doubly handy for me though, because I got to the point where I couldn't be bothered to check if a book was available at the library when they almost always weren't. Now I can see instantly.
    Linda

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 09:52:00 am »
    This also works on Amazon UK, even though you can't actually borrow Kindle books from UK libraries. It will tell you if there's a an epub or audio version available.

I initially thought it didn't work as all the books I looked at on Amazon said that no copy was available at the library but eventually one or two did show up. I'm not sure if that's because I have unusual reading habits compared to most library patrons or because the digital side of the library is very limited. This does make it doubly handy for me though, because I got to the point where I couldn't be bothered to check if a book was available at the library when they almost always weren't. Now I can see instantly.

Yes ... that's my feeling as well ... I can see without going to the trouble of searching Overdrive or the library's site directly. Almost none of the self-published/small publisher series I read are in the libraries; maybe 2/3 of the big publisher titles. I have access to 4 different libraries so usually one or two have any given book even if they don't all carry. But often none of the 4 have bought it because it's not on any best-seller list.

That said, I have requested books and have recently had good luck getting the libraries to purchase them. Oddly, while it's easy to request through the Overdrive listing on the library site, it's actually more effective, I've found, to request directly to the library. At least then I get a notice as to whether or not they've decided to buy it.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 09:57:55 am »
    .......... I have requested books and have recently had good luck getting the libraries to purchase them.........

I've been requesting books for years but to date I have never had even one purchased. I've pretty much given up bothering.
    Linda

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 11:59:00 am »
    I've been requesting books for years but to date I have never had even one purchased. I've pretty much given up bothering.

That's a shame. But, again, it's only been the last few months I've had any luck. Before that probably 90% of what I asked for 9at least) they 'decided not to purchase'. I've actually been surprised that the last 4 things I requested they decided to buy!

Mind you, I'm only talking about the local county library. I've not gone to the trouble of requesting anything at the neighboring libraries, except through Overdrive. And I've no idea how/when/if such requests get to people who can do anything about it.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement