Author Topic: Buy 2nd hand Kindle Voyage or Kindle PaperWhite 4  (Read 409 times)  

Offline selpeini

• View Profile
    • https://myloweslife.onl/
Buy 2nd hand Kindle Voyage or Kindle PaperWhite 4
« on: June 21, 2020, 08:45:31 am »
Hi! I�ve been reading through a lot of posts here and a bit conflicted. I want to get my first Kindle (after several years reading on my ipad). Saw someone selling his Voyage for almost the same price as the new Kindle PW4. What do you think? Is the Voyage better or should I wait for PW4 instead? Thanks so much!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    Re: Buy 2nd hand Kindle Voyage or Kindle PaperWhite 4
    « Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 09:47:34 am »
    Kindles are very personal.  For me the Voyage is better in ergonomics and style. But the newest PW has a better screen, I feel, and somewhat better lighting. Otherwise, it's a tossup. Both models continue to get updates to the operating system.

Note the original price of the Voyage was MUCH higher originally at $199.00. It's OLD tech ... originally released in fall of 2014. Really, the PW4 is as much an update to IT as it is to the PW.

If price is a consideration, look on Amazon for certified refurbished models. I've had good luck with 'em.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 09:54:04 am »
    Personally I prefer the Voyage. Amongst other reasons, it's slightly smaller and lighter than the PW4, the on/off button is better situated and on the particular devices I own, the display is much crisper. But having said that, you'll find just as many people telling you they prefer the PW4.

As Ann says, it's a very personal thing and you can't really know if you like one until you try it. I agree that if price is a consideration, a refurbished model might be your best bet, but as to which one ....  :-\
    Linda

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 12:49:53 pm »
    I had a Voyage and a Paperwhite 3 at the same time.  I now have a Paperwhite 4.  Personally I preferred the Paperwhites to the Voyage.

I liked the small size and light weight of the Voyage but I was always accidentally touching the screen while I was reading and changing pages.  It made me nervous while reading and whenever I stopped being nervous I'd lose my place.  I found it pretty frustrating.

I realize a lot of people don't have that problem but I sure did.

The Paperwhite 4 has a flush screen also and it's a bit bigger than the Voyage and maybe that's why it doesn't happen with it.

In the various forums and blogs and reviews I've always heard the Voyage had the better screen but I never could see that.  The screens on all three devices are different, just as the screens on my two Paperwhite 3's are different.  Screens are always a bit different from each other even within the same model.  But I never could find "better" there.  They all have excellent screens with excellent contrast.

Another consideration is that they haven't made Voyages for quite some time so it'll have an older battery.  Expect it not to last as long before it begins to degrade, even if it's fine when you get it.  That said, I've been told that the Voyage is the easiest one to replace the battery in if that's something you decide to do.

Barry

KBoards.com

• Advertisement