Author Topic: Dead Kindle  (Read 362 times)  

Offline Somerbum

• View Profile
Dead Kindle
« on: June 21, 2020, 01:45:51 pm »
I have been given a basic non-working Kindle from my daughter and was trying to get it to work. I believe it is an 8th generation model.
The Screen is blank. The battery is fully charged (Green LED illuminated)
Pressing the power button, the Green LED comes on for a few seconds then goes off. Screen remains blank. I have also tried with the charge cable plugged in.
Tried a reset by holding power button for 20 sec, 30 secs, 40 secs even a minute without success. The Green light comes on for a few secs, goes off and flashes twice. Then the amber LED illuminates (flashes) 5 times and goes off. This is cycle is repeated about every 10 secs until I release the button.
I wondered if the battery was passed its best. That is why I tried with the charging cable connected, so no shortage of power. I have even open up to check the battery. Using a multi-meter, I have confirmed a good voltage at the battery terminals.
Any suggestions before I bin it?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    Re: Dead Kindle
    « Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 04:03:19 am »
    You can buy a replacement battery. If you're comfortable opening up things that aren't really designed for it, you may be able to replace it. Try newpower99.com. New battery includes a 'how to' video and, I believe, any specialized tools.

Or contact Amazon. Explain you received it as a gift and have kindle support walk through some standard checks with you. If it's truly dead, they may replace it. (Certainly will if it's less than a year old.) Otherwise, ask what sort of credit they'll give you on a trade in. If not working it may only be $5 or $10 bucks, but that's better than nothing.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement