Author Topic: Guys - Bookbub help, please!  (Read 1371 times)  

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
    • View Profile
Guys - Bookbub help, please!
« on: June 22, 2020, 09:38:23 am »
Hey chaps and chapesses!

So, after 36 (count 'em, 36) attempts, I've finally managed to blag a Bookbub (US & Intl) on Brian Helsing in the humor category.

Kinda at a loss now, I'm so used to seeing the rejection email come back!

So, anyone who has experience with them - what shall I do now? As in, to try to make the most of this opportunity?

Thanks guys!

Gaz

EDIT as was pointed out below, I forgot to mention that it's for a Free deal, first book in a nine (will be ten by time of promo) book series, which typically has good sell-through.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 05:23:34 pm by Gareth K Pengelly »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline I am a unicorn

• View Profile
    Re: Guys - Bookbub help, please!
    « Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 10:40:18 am »
    Nothing to offer because I still haven't landed one, but CONGRATS! I hope it goes well!

Offline Trioxin 245

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 12:07:02 pm »
    Congrats. I have had loads of Bookbubs and its going to be a blast. Since  I do not write in your category nor know your goals , take what I say with a pinch of salt. Just a FYI it will help in the future to state what is being promoted ie- book 1 will be free or 99 cents etc :)

Assuming book one is going free, I would discount book two on a KCD to 99cents. There is two reasons for this. The first being if anyone is hesitant to try book two, the price incentive will make that an easy decision. From there on out its full price and hopefully they are hooked. The other reason is both will shoot up in their categories and therefore draw more eyes.

Make sure there is a call to action in your back matter. My suggestion is link to book 2 in series and then your newsletter sign up.

There are different approaches where some say do not discount the others and some saying discount all of them. YMMV.

Best of luck, keep us informed of how it goes.

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 12:49:43 pm »
    Thanks for the replies guys!

Trioxin - I might do that with book two, good idea. The series has always had good sell-through in the past. I've made 1000 off the back of a Freebooksy/ENT combo before, when I had only four books in series.

Now there's nine, and I'm 78k words into the tenth and striving to get it done asap before the promo lol.

Hoping if I cover all my bases I'll be able to make the most of any sell-through.

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 08:31:52 am »
    Welp, invoice is paid. Fingers crossed!

Offline jm2019

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 08:34:14 am »
    Good luck, I hope it pays off great! let us know the results. I'm planning to dip into the BookBub lake later this year or early next.

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 09:18:55 am »
    Good luck, I hope it pays off great! let us know the results. I'm planning to dip into the BookBub lake later this year or early next.

Thanks! For sure I'll be letting people know how it goes, boom or bust, haha. I'll be staying up that night with pizza and alcohol, updating on here how it's going!

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 11:57:06 am »
    I've heard from some of my writer friends, who are far more successful than me, that it's a good idea to stack some smaller ads on the days leading up to your BB.

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: June 23, 2020, 12:05:33 pm »
    I've heard from some of my writer friends, who are far more successful than me, that it's a good idea to stack some smaller ads on the days leading up to your BB.

I've been tempted to do this, I have to admit, maybe a Freebooksy and a Bknights. However, I've also read some posts by Patty, where she's said to others that it wouldn't make the blindest bit of difference with how powerful Bookbub is in comparison, so I'm a little torn.

All very new to this, and excited to see how many new readers I might pick up! Been stuck at 169 reviews for a little while now, would be nice to see if it could climb to over 200! I literally have no idea how the promo will go as I've read so many conflicting reports, some people having great success and a long tail, others not seeing much at all.

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #9 on: June 23, 2020, 12:08:13 pm »
    I've been tempted to do this, I have to admit, maybe a Freebooksy and a Bknights. However, I've also read some posts by Patty, where she's said to others that it wouldn't make the blindest bit of difference with how powerful Bookbub is in comparison, so I'm a little torn.

All very new to this, and excited to see how many new readers I might pick up! Been stuck at 169 reviews for a little while now, would be nice to see if it could climb to over 200! I literally have no idea how the promo will go as I've read so many conflicting reports, some people having great success and a long tail, others not seeing much at all.

As I understand it, it's to do with how the algorithms work. If you have a BB on one day, you get the spike of sales and then a fast drop-off. But if you stack your ads in front of it, you'll have more of a curve rather than a spike, and that's supposed to be better as far as Amazon goes.

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: June 23, 2020, 12:11:15 pm »
    As I understand it, it's to do with how the algorithms work. If you have a BB on one day, you get the spike of sales and then a fast drop-off. But if you stack your ads in front of it, you'll have more of a curve rather than a spike, and that's supposed to be better as far as Amazon goes.

That makes sense, yeah. Maybe a smoother curve will prolong the tail? I'll have to see how finances look - with (STILL!) being on furlough from work due to the plague, and Bookbub being expensive in and of itself, I'll have to see what pennies I can scrape together, haha.

Offline DmGuay

• OH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: June 23, 2020, 12:19:27 pm »
    Um, first CONGRATS on the Bookbub. You should now schedule some other promotion sites around your Bookbub date to juice the Amazon algo. One day spikes are no bueno, but several days in a row? That's Amazon algo gold.

But also, HOW did I not know about this series?

And second, do you want to team up for a promo sometime? I write horror comedy and I've got a few other horror comedy geeks who team up with me for promos every once in a while. You look like you'd fit right in!

Please do let us know the results. I've been reluctant to apply for a Bookbub because horror comedy doesn't fit cleanly in horror or humor, and I was afraid to go for it.

D.M. Guay | Web site

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: June 23, 2020, 01:31:11 pm »
    Um, first CONGRATS on the Bookbub. You should now schedule some other promotion sites around your Bookbub date to juice the Amazon algo. One day spikes are no bueno, but several days in a row? That's Amazon algo gold.

But also, HOW did I not know about this series?

And second, do you want to team up for a promo sometime? I write horror comedy and I've got a few other horror comedy geeks who team up with me for promos every once in a while. You look like you'd fit right in!

Please do let us know the results. I've been reluctant to apply for a Bookbub because horror comedy doesn't fit cleanly in horror or humor, and I was afraid to go for it.

Thanks DM! Looks like I'll be adding some small, extra promos before it if I can then, haha.

And absolutely, I'd love to team up! Once the dust has settled from this, lol. Got to try to finish the tenth book before the promo goes live on the first, haha.

Offline DmGuay

• OH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: June 23, 2020, 01:41:03 pm »
    Thanks DM! Looks like I'll be adding some small, extra promos before it if I can then, haha.

And absolutely, I'd love to team up! Once the dust has settled from this, lol. Got to try to finish the tenth book before the promo goes live on the first, haha.

Totally understand. I'll PM you at some point, and I followed you on twitter so we can chat that way if it's easier. GOOD LUCK, and please report back on your Bookbub. Your results might determine if and when I apply for one in the same category!

D.M. Guay | Web site

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: June 24, 2020, 12:25:00 pm »
    Nice, so Amazon decided to randomly stop price-matching, causing it to be paid again instead of permafree. Sigh.

Emailed KDP, told them about it. Now US site has it as permafree, but UK doesn't... Honestly, two years at permafree, and they decided to suddenly take it out the one and only time I get a Bookbub?

Luckily, still three weeks away yet, so plenty of time for them to rectify it. Gonna nag them every day.

Offline DmGuay

• OH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: June 24, 2020, 12:28:29 pm »
    Nice, so Amazon decided to randomly stop price-matching, causing it to be paid again instead of permafree. Sigh.

Emailed KDP, told them about it. Now US site has it as permafree, but UK doesn't... Honestly, two years at permafree, and they decided to suddenly take it out the one and only time I get a Bookbub?

Luckily, still three weeks away yet, so plenty of time for them to rectify it. Gonna nag them every day.

OMG, I'd be having a heart attack.

D.M. Guay | Web site

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: June 24, 2020, 01:07:27 pm »
    OMG, I'd be having a heart attack.

Haha, I was a little miffed, to put it mildly. I'll be badgering them every day until it's back to permafree everywhere, have no fear!

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #17 on: June 24, 2020, 01:33:04 pm »
    For the first ride on the BookBub train, it being the first book in a long series, and free, my advice is to just hold on tight. Aside from the obvious (make it free before midnight the day before), that's really the best thing to do. Hang on and enjoy the ride. You could do a $.99 Countdown Deal on the second book if it's in KU and add a note to book one's blurb that book two is discounted. But even just hanging on, sell through will pay for the ad in a couple of days.

If it's not in KU, get it free several days before. Amazon's price matching sometimes takes a while.
    My Bestselling, 18-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  5-volume Charity Styles Series, also Bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, with many more exciting adventures to come. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
    Wayne Stinnett | Website | Facebook | Amazon Author Page | Twitter | Motivational Videos | Ship's Store

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: June 24, 2020, 02:26:18 pm »
    For the first ride on the BookBub train, it being the first book in a long series, and free, my advice is to just hold on tight. Aside from the obvious (make it free before midnight the day before), that's really the best thing to do. Hang on and enjoy the ride. You could do a $.99 Countdown Deal on the second book if it's in KU and add a note to book one's blurb that book two is discounted. But even just hanging on, sell through will pay for the ad in a couple of days.

If it's not in KU, get it free several days before. Amazon's price matching sometimes takes a while.

Thanks Wayne! Trying to not get my hopes up, but I've read some awesome results threads on here from people in a similar situation (worldwide+free+first in long series), so here's hoping it makes the ad cost back and then some!

Offline ShaneCarrow

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: June 25, 2020, 12:38:10 am »
    Congrats! I would be exceptionally surprised if you don't do very well out of this. My own experience is with having a boxset and also being in KU, but however you cut it, having a first-time Bookbub on both US and international plus a whole ten (!) book series for follow-through should see you having a very nice royalty payment in a couple months.

edit - also, have you considered putting together a box set? With a ten-book series you could make one for the first three, the first four... whatever you please, really. Aside from helping with reader drop-off (people are far more inclined to keep going when the next book is already right there over the next page) Bookbub really, really likes box sets. I've had multiple Bookbubs for my box set, but never once for the first book in my series, no matter how many times I submit it.
    « Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 12:40:40 am by ShaneCarrow »

Shane Carrow

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: June 25, 2020, 05:11:31 am »
    Congrats! I would be exceptionally surprised if you don't do very well out of this. My own experience is with having a boxset and also being in KU, but however you cut it, having a first-time Bookbub on both US and international plus a whole ten (!) book series for follow-through should see you having a very nice royalty payment in a couple months.

edit - also, have you considered putting together a box set? With a ten-book series you could make one for the first three, the first four... whatever you please, really. Aside from helping with reader drop-off (people are far more inclined to keep going when the next book is already right there over the next page) Bookbub really, really likes box sets. I've had multiple Bookbubs for my box set, but never once for the first book in my series, no matter how many times I submit it.

Thanks Shayne!

I've considered it, yes. Something I'll definitely have to look at doing in the future.

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: June 25, 2020, 08:42:13 am »
    Book a few promos the day before: Freebooksy is easy to get lined up in a short amount of time and actually delivers results, unlike so many promo sites. FussyLibrarian is good if they have space available. ENT might be able to squeeze you in. BookBarbarian has overflow placements that might help. Send a note to your own list if you have other series--there might be a few that haven't tried this one. Put a post on your FB author page, ask your email list to share the book if they've already read it, and link to that FB post to make it easy.

The higher your rank when you go INTO the Bub promo, the more likely you are to get to the first page in the free store. You want that. You want that a lot.

Since your series is long, you might want to lower the price on the second book to 99-cents to help really hook people.

Congrats and all the best!

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
    C. Gockel | Website

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: June 25, 2020, 09:09:33 am »
    Book a few promos the day before: Freebooksy is easy to get lined up in a short amount of time and actually delivers results, unlike so many promo sites. FussyLibrarian is good if they have space available. ENT might be able to squeeze you in. BookBarbarian has overflow placements that might help. Send a note to your own list if you have other series--there might be a few that haven't tried this one. Put a post on your FB author page, ask your email list to share the book if they've already read it, and link to that FB post to make it easy.

The higher your rank when you go INTO the Bub promo, the more likely you are to get to the first page in the free store. You want that. You want that a lot.

Since your series is long, you might want to lower the price on the second book to 99-cents to help really hook people.

Congrats and all the best!

Thanks for the encouragment! Not the first person to suggest it, so think I'll do a 99c Countdown deal on the second book, and make sure I tweak the backmatter to make it easy for people to go straight to it.

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #23 on: June 25, 2020, 11:55:45 am »
    This is a graph of sales from just before the release of my fourth book, which was a prequel to the first three, to just after one of my first BookBub features.

At the far left, the first three books were averaging about $200 a day. After the release of the prequel, the average revenue from all four doubled. Then I applied to BookBub with the prequel, and even though it only had eight reviews at the time, they accepted it for August 1 at $.99. I earned about $2000 above the average on that day and August was a $20K month, double my best month before that.

There's little to no chance that you'll lose money with BookBub.

My Bestselling, 18-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  5-volume Charity Styles Series, also Bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, with many more exciting adventures to come. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
    Wayne Stinnett | Website | Facebook | Amazon Author Page | Twitter | Motivational Videos | Ship's Store

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: June 25, 2020, 12:17:41 pm »
    This is a graph of sales from just before the release of my fourth book, which was a prequel to the first three, to just after one of my first BookBub features.

At the far left, the first three books were averaging about $200 a day. After the release of the prequel, the average revenue from all four doubled. Then I applied to BookBub with the prequel, and even though it only had eight reviews at the time, they accepted it for August 1 at $.99. I earned about $2000 above the average on that day and August was a $20K month, double my best month before that.

There's little to no chance that you'll lose money with BookBub.

That is the kind of success story that kept me applying and applying after every rejection email, lol.

Just awesome stuff, Wayne.

I'm not expecting that huge amount of turnover, but tbh, I've made a grand in a month using just Freebooksy and ENT, so I'm daring to dream that Bookbub would be able to beat that by a margin.
    « Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 12:25:04 pm by Gareth K Pengelly »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
        • My Website
      « Reply #25 on: June 25, 2020, 12:34:09 pm »
      LOL, yeah, by a margin.  ;)

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
        • View Profile
      « Reply #26 on: June 25, 2020, 02:31:45 pm »
      LOL, yeah, by a margin.  ;)

Haha, we'll see, Wayne. We'll see. I'll be posting results up here anyway, as I've always found other people's results threads very informative!

Offline HobieYak

• Australia
        • View Profile
        • Roys_Books
      « Reply #27 on: June 25, 2020, 10:57:50 pm »
      Bookbub really, really likes box sets. I've had multiple Bookbubs for my box set, but never once for the first book in my series, no matter how many times I submit it.

Interesting ! I wasn't aware of this. Does it still apply if the books are not wide? I was considering taking my first book out of KU, primarily to try and get a Bookbub featured deal but perhaps a box set may be worth a try?

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
        • View Profile
      « Reply #28 on: June 26, 2020, 05:50:29 am »
      So I've booked a Bknights for the 18th and a Fussy and an ENT (if they say yes) for the 19th, as a little bit of a stack ready for the Bookbub day. Hopefully that might smooth it out a little.

Offline ShaneCarrow

• View Profile
      « Reply #29 on: June 26, 2020, 09:25:10 pm »
      Interesting ! I wasn't aware of this. Does it still apply if the books are not wide? I was considering taking my first book out of KU, primarily to try and get a Bookbub featured deal but perhaps a box set may be worth a try?

Bookbub prefers wide, but being in KU is by no means a dealbreaker. I've never been wide. The other reason it prefers box sets (apart from them being more appealing to readers) is just that it's naturally going to be a bigger price drop. For example they're going to be more interested in my $9.99 box set dropping to 99c than my 99c first book in that series dropping to free.

And as I mentioned, Bookbub aside, a box set also means readers are way more inclined to read through your whole series. I see virtually zero sales or reads of individual books of my series past the second or third one anymore, because people just get the box set, but that still works out way better for me.

Shane Carrow

Offline anotherpage

• View Profile
      « Reply #30 on: June 27, 2020, 09:04:04 am »
      Hey chaps and chapesses!

So, after 36 (count 'em, 36) attempts, I've finally managed to blag a Bookbub (US & Intl) on Brian Helsing in the humor category.

Kinda at a loss now, I'm so used to seeing the rejection email come back!

So, anyone who has experience with them - what shall I do now? As in, to try to make the most of this opportunity?

Thanks guys!

Gaz

EDIT as was pointed out below, I forgot to mention that it's for a Free deal, first book in a nine (will be ten by time of promo) book series, which typically has good sell-through.

ENJOY, Bookbub is like GOLD if you have a nice backend. I always see a boost in revenue from them.

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
        • View Profile
      « Reply #31 on: June 27, 2020, 10:06:49 am »
      ENJOY, Bookbub is like GOLD if you have a nice backend. I always see a boost in revenue from them.

Thank you! Looking forward to it.

Especially now Amazon have FINALLY price matched the book back to permafree!

Offline Trioxin 245

• View Profile
      « Reply #32 on: June 29, 2020, 07:54:36 am »
      ENJOY, Bookbub is like GOLD if you have a nice backend.

:o :o

KBoards.com

• Advertisement