Author Topic: Reading chapter headings in ACX audiobook  (Read 318 times)  

Offline Richard Clare

• View Profile
Reading chapter headings in ACX audiobook
« on: June 25, 2020, 12:32:49 am »
Hi guys I have a question about ACX, they have this in their requirements:

So you have to read out all chapter headings. In my book however, there are some very short chapters (some just a paragraph or two). The chapter headings are numbers. So I think it would be distracting to the reader if they heard "1 blah blah blah 2 blah blah blah 3 etc".

I'm wondering if I can forgo reading out the chapters or should I reformat the book to make the parts longer? I'm doing the narration myself and I don't want to record the book and then be told it's unsuitable and can't be uploaded. Does anyone have any experience with this and can advise?

I tried contacting ACX but you can't contact them the "contact us" link just takes you to audible (which is terrible imo)

Richard

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • Destroyer of Science Fiction
      • View Profile
      • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
    Re: Reading chapter headings in ACX audiobook
    « Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 12:56:00 am »
    As far as I know, you have to read out the chapters, and you either have to use the default names (chapter 1, chapter 2 etc) or you own, but you have to read them out as well.

I recently did a short story and divided it in ten chapters with each scene a chapter  of about 1000 words.

You have to do this.

I think their support is at [email protected], but don't expect any reply from them that is either timely, satisfactory or even makes sense. They are terrible.

Offline MMSN

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 04:57:38 am »
    Wouldn't it make more sense to just turn them into Sections? There are a lot of sounds you can choose from to indicate a section break. Personally I use a kind of light "dong" sound that has a nice fade-off ending to it. Most recording apps have sounds you can choose from, and modify how you want.

Offline Richard Clare

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 12:01:49 am »
    You have to do this

Okay that's what I was afraid of. I'll try contacting them anyway.

Turn them into sections

Can you explain what you mean by this?

Offline MMSN

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 03:01:12 am »
    Many novels (if not most) use Section Breaks inside of a chapter to delineate that a new scene is beginning, instead of having to start a new chapter for it. These Section Break indicators can be different things, whatever the author chooses. Some authors indicate a Section Break by a couple of blank lines (I don't recommend). Some put in a series of asterisks in the middle of a blank line. Other authors use a little picture in the middle of a blank line to indicate a Section Break.

Obviously, in audio, you have to use something else, a sound. The sound I use to indicate a Section Break to the listener is a bell-like tone, but there are many different sounds to choose from.

Section Breaks are very useful as they allow you to skip to a different scene without having to start a new chapter. If your chapters are only a paragraph or two long, IMO you really should consider sticking in Section Breaks instead of Chapter Breaks for many of them.
    « Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 03:03:59 am by MMSN »

Offline Richard Clare

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 08:17:18 am »
    Thanks for explaining. That's an interesting idea. Have you used it with ACX?  They don't mention it in their guidelines.

On the subject of reading the section headers, I received the following clear as mud reply: "Yes, that is correct you should read out the chapter name. If you think that not reading the number will distracting then, that is totally OK with us. :)" So I think the safest is to read them.

Another issue I have however, is some of the headings are the same. The book is divided into parts. And for the second part for example, I start counting the chapters again from 1, rather than have 40+ chapters in the book. Is this likely to cause an issue do you think?

I'll contact them about that and hopefully receive a more clear response...

KBoards.com

• Advertisement