Author Topic: Thirty+ years in traditional publishing  (Read 281 times)  

Offline MichaelPritchett

• Kansas City
  • Winner of the Iowa Short Fiction Award
    • View Profile
    • michaelpritchett.co
Thirty+ years in traditional publishing
« on: June 23, 2020, 10:50:39 pm »
True story.  I released my first self-published novella TANIA THE REVOLUTIONARY, a historical novel about Patty Hearst and Charles Manson, on Kindle this month.  I never knew anything about self-publishing until I read David Gaughran's LET'S GET DIGITAL, THIRD EDITION in May.  My daughter did the cover for my book and helped me set up a website and mailing list.  I did my own formatting.  In thirty-plus years as a literary fiction writer, I've won two national prizes and published two books and been unable to find agents or publishers for several others.  I've never had an agent, but did speak on the phone to two for about five minutes each back in the early 90s when I won my first prize.  One of them was Ally Sheedy's (THE BREAKFAST CLUB) mother.  I contacted over a hundred in an attempt to sell my historical novel THE MELANCHOLY FATE OF CAPT. LEWIS, but finally sold the book to a small press for 4K with help from a friend.  The press would not take my next novel.  About a hundred agents later, I gave up.  But I teach fiction writing and what kind of teacher would I be if I really gave up?  So I had this novella that got published online, but received very little attention or response.  So I read David Gaughran's book.  I'm not entirely sure why I took the leap, but I do know that I am submitting 100 times on average to publish a story via the traditional route.  So far I have sold 10 copies of the novella, which is clearly not noteworthy but it's better than nothing.  If you read this, thanks for reading.  If you've had any success at this, I'm listening.  Peace.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline P.W.JORDAN

• UK
    • Don't get it right, get it written-Lee Child
      • View Profile
    Re: Thirty+ years in traditional publishing
    « Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 12:50:06 am »
    Hi Michael, 1st congrats for not throwing the towel in and sticking at it.
    If your teaching writing and have a few accolades behind you obviously know your stuff. I've been writing that long myself and over the years allowed myself to get distracted and/or disheartened. In my opinion I think self publishing has changed the landscape especially in the last 6-8 years and puts the power and opportunity in your hands (because who's going to care more about your books that you? Not saying if a trad deal was put on the table I wouldn't think about it but I've read alot from people much more knowledgable than me that would pause.)
    Getting mailing list up running and website going great start. I'd put 'Winner of ...' on cover too. Let anybody that does see the cover know!
    Good luck with this.
    Resources for getting a push. I personally enjoy the Self Publishing Show and The Creative Penn Podcasts. There's a ton here once you start digging.
    All the best.
    Phillip

I'm PHILLIP JORDAN, my Debut Novel 'CODE OF SILENCE' is scheduled toward the end of 2020.
    PHILLIP JORDAN | WEBSITE | LEARN MORE | CODE OF SILENCE | FACEBOOK

Offline MichaelPritchett

• Kansas City
    • Winner of the Iowa Short Fiction Award
      • View Profile
      • michaelpritchett.co
    « Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 08:22:19 am »
    Thanks, Phillip!  I will try your suggestions.  I'm just learning and trying to stay open, ran an ad on Bookbub, now running an ad on Amazon, trying to link my books to my profile, and posting a lot on facebook and twitter.  May even try to release an audiobook.  Keep me posted about your debut.  If you have a website I'll visit and sign up for your mailing list.  Mine is at michaelpritchett.co  Thx Michael

Offline P.W.JORDAN

• UK
    • Don't get it right, get it written-Lee Child
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 12:44:54 am »
    Hi. Thanks, website looks very cool. Nice and clean and to the point. I'm not in position for ads yet, when not writing trying to gain the knowledge for when I need to start marketing and set up relevant accounts etc. Plan to set up social media once I'm almost through edit.
    I've a thing in my head about generating interest too early and having nothing show up for three or four months.
    I'll drop you a line and let you know when I'm careering toward release and see how you're getting on with things.
    All the best,
    Phillip

I'm PHILLIP JORDAN, my Debut Novel 'CODE OF SILENCE' is scheduled toward the end of 2020.
    PHILLIP JORDAN | WEBSITE | LEARN MORE | CODE OF SILENCE | FACEBOOK

KBoards.com

• Advertisement