Author Topic: IndieReader...disappointing.  (Read 2914 times)  

Online NikOK

• VA
    • View Profile
IndieReader...disappointing.
« on: June 27, 2020, 06:57:22 am »
So, I don't usually make posts about things like this, but I wanted to write something on the board because I have very specific problems with IndieReader.com and maybe getting some info out there can help people from making the same mistakes as me.

The other day I got my review back, and I'll be the first to say that there is some merit to their criticisms, but I am also very sure that they didn't actually read my book, so that really puts a funk on the whole thing.  I think they are either skimming books or using a search function to look for specific things in a book.  My reviewer had said that he was unclear on the gender of my 1st person protagonist, so I went back to word, went through the find function, and found 110+ references to the character's gender, with three of them being within the first 10 pages.  So, how much did they actually read?  Not much, at all.  Plus, the only specific events mentioned in the review also happened in the first 20 pages of the book, and that also makes me think, they did the minimum here.

I didn't even get a bad review.  By their standards it was "worth reading", it's just, I expected more professionalism.  If your job is to read books, and you don't read books, then people should know about it.  I guess I was expecting a real book review.  I guess IndieReader is not the place for that.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline I am a unicorn

• View Profile
    Re: IndieReader...disappointing.
    « Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 07:45:54 am »
    So, I don't usually make posts about things like this, but I wanted to write something on the board because I have very specific problems with IndieReader.com and maybe getting some info out there can help people from making the same mistakes as me.

The other day I got my review back, and I'll be the first to say that there is some merit to their criticisms, but I am also very sure that they didn't actually read my book, so that really puts a funk on the whole thing.  I think they are either skimming books or using a search function to look for specific things in a book.  My reviewer had said that he was unclear on the gender of my 1st person protagonist, so I went back to word, went through the find function, and found 110+ references to the character's gender, with three of them being within the first 10 pages.  So, how much did they actually read?  Not much, at all.  Plus, the only specific events mentioned in the review also happened in the first 20 pages of the book, and that also makes me think, they did the minimum here.

I didn't even get a bad review.  By their standards it was "worth reading", it's just, I expected more professionalism.  If your job is to read books, and you don't read books, then people should know about it.  I guess I was expecting a real book review.  I guess IndieReader is not the place for that.

I've never used IndieReader, but I have received a review or two where someone mentions something that I KNOW is answered in the book and it drives me nuts! One person couldn't tell the age of my protagonist and IT'S ON THE FIRST PAGE. So I feel your pain! How do people miss stuff like that?

Offline Sapphire

• USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 09:01:26 am »
    I recently had a reader (another author - not a review service) say they didn't understand why I had the protagonist notice the scarcity of street lights in the small town compared to how Michigan Avenue is lit up at night. This was my way of telling readers on the first page the protagonist is from Chicago (an important point in the book) without saying she now lives in downtown Chicago.
    I do not agree to the 2018 Terms of Service (or to any subsequent changes).

Offline markpauloleksiw

• Canada
      • View Profile
      • Mark Paul Oleksiw's Website
    « Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 09:43:08 am »
    Glad you shared because I recently had a horrific experience with IndieReader recently.

I used Indiereader for my second novel, Munching on the Sun, and got a fair review. I think it was 3.5. But here is the thing, the reviewer dinged me because the Epub version I used was not easily compatible with her archaic Epub version...like seriously!

Regardless, the rest of the review was fair. So for my recent novel, Time's Musicians. I went to them Indiereader again. The normal review period is about 4-6 weeks. Within ten days, the reviewer posted a terrible review on Goodreads (which she is not allowed to do). When I saw the review, I was caught off guard (it was posted on Chrismas eve). I complained directly to Amy Edelman (the founder) and she had the review taken off and agreed it was not supposed to be posted. So I thought, the reviewer would be changed...3 weeks later the same reviewer posted the same review on Indiereader.  I have had my share of bad reviews...you can see them on Goodreads and Amazon...so I don't go crazy about them. But this review was a rant...it called my novel sci-fi....it is not. It got key facts of the story wrong...It was clear the reviewer skimmed the book and something seriously triggered her.  I can only guess what.

I complained to Amy Edelman and did not ask for a refund but that a different reviewer be assigned. She flat out refused and was quite snarky about it.  I pointed out all the unprofessional behavior of the reviewer (see above) and the clear factual errors.  Edelman could careless.   I was stunned and shocked. 

Moral of the story...don't give Amy Edelman or Indiereviewer a dime of your money. It is has become unprofessional and a total cash grab...

Online NikOK

• VA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 11:47:18 am »
    Hey everyone, thanks a bunch for the feedback.  Partially, I'm sad that something similar has happened to other people out there, but partially I'm a little happy to know that I'm not the only one these things happen to.  So it's a big thanks/sorry to you guys and your quick support and replies.  You all are great, and I appreciate it a lot.

And, yeah, specifically markpauloleksiw who had IndieReader get your genre wrong, that's rough.  I'm not saying necessarily that their service is a scam, but I get more of the impression that they lost their passion or their interest in the idea of being an Indie Reader.

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 01:02:15 pm »
    Within ten days, the reviewer posted a terrible review on Goodreads (which she is not allowed to do).

Why is that not allowed?

Offline markpauloleksiw

• Canada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 10:34:25 pm »
    in my case it was a paid professional editorial review. It is supposed to be used either in Author Central under "editorial reviews" or on the indiereader site. If you don't like the review, you can "kill" it before it is posted.

What is happening is it is very hard for these "services" to find reviewers. The reviewer I got had no background whatsoever in the industry...NONE. No formal education in literature. Absolutely no credentials as "professional" reviewer.

All these sites are just money grabs now. Indiereader also charges a ridiculous entry fee for its "Awards"...$149!

Mark

Offline Rod Little

• View Profile
      • Rod Little Author
    « Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 10:46:36 pm »
    I've never used them, but I feel your pain. I sent free copies of my book to a dozen magazines. Two of them published reviews that were riddled with errors (including misspellings) and showed that they only read the first two chapters.
    I think it's hard for sites to get good reviewers. The reviewers skim a few chapters, write some blah-blah content (often with vague sentences that could apply to any book), then collect the paycheck.  I actually think they copy/paste some sentences into every review. (... an interesting reading odyssey..."  haha huh?)

A good or 'okay' review from someone who didn't read the book ... is meaningless.

Sci-Fi, Horror, Post-apocalyptic, Alien Invasion
    Rod Little | website | Book Trailer | Twitter | FB

Online P.W.JORDAN

• UK
    • Don't get it right, get it written-Lee Child
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 12:43:29 am »
    Hey! Sorry to hear you folks have been bitten but also heartened to see it hasnt knocked you off your stride.
    Im planning on my debut release later this year and beta reads, editing etc is on the radar however Im a bit dubious now considering your shared experiences.
    Id appreciate it if you perhaps had any recommendations of other sites/services.
    PHILLIP

I'm PHILLIP JORDAN, my Debut Novel 'CODE OF SILENCE' is scheduled toward the end of 2020.
    PHILLIP JORDAN | WEBSITE | LEARN MORE | CODE OF SILENCE

Online CatherineM

• Don't judge a book by its cover.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 10:53:17 am »
    Hey! Sorry to hear you folks have been bitten but also heartened to see it hasnt knocked you off your stride.
    Im planning on my debut release later this year and beta reads, editing etc is on the radar however Im a bit dubious now considering your shared experiences.
    Id appreciate it if you perhaps had any recommendations of other sites/services.
    PHILLIP

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble people have been having as well. You could try Readers' Favorite for a review. As I recall, there was a bit of a wait, but no fee involved at all. She most definitely read my book.

Good luck!  :)

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #10 on: June 28, 2020, 01:14:12 pm »
    in my case it was a paid professional editorial review. It is supposed to be used either in Author Central under "editorial reviews" or on the indiereader site. If you don't like the review, you can "kill" it before it is posted.

What is happening is it is very hard for these "services" to find reviewers. The reviewer I got had no background whatsoever in the industry...NONE. No formal education in literature. Absolutely no credentials as "professional" reviewer.

All these sites are just money grabs now. Indiereader also charges a ridiculous entry fee for its "Awards"...$149!

Mark

Thank you for explaining.

Offline Marseille, France or Bust

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: June 28, 2020, 04:12:32 pm »
    I second Reader's Favorite. Yes, it takes a couple months, but they do read your book and give detailed reviews for free (just one).

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble people have been having as well. You could try Readers' Favorite for a review. As I recall, there was a bit of a wait, but no fee involved at all. She most definitely read my book.

Good luck!  :)

Online P.W.JORDAN

• UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: June 29, 2020, 12:23:37 am »
    Morning from wet and windy Ireland, thanks for the nod to Readers Favorite. I'll 100% look into it.
    Have a good week!
    Phillip

I'm PHILLIP JORDAN, my Debut Novel 'CODE OF SILENCE' is scheduled toward the end of 2020.

Online NikOK

• VA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 11:16:29 am »
    I've since heard back from IndieReader and they seem to, as a company, not care if their reviewers read a book or not.  Can't stress enough that authors should avoid this review service altogether.  They simply don't want to do the job that they say they do.

Online P.W.JORDAN

• UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: Today at 12:02:36 am »
    Hey!
    Really disappointed for you to hear that! Keep the chin up though...
    I was recently recommended [url]https://booksprout.co//url] I'll stress I haven't personally used them yet but they did get a pretty glowing report.
    Also a couple of the kind folks on here recommend Readers Favourite. Might be a couple to at least look into.
    Good Luck!
    Phillip

Offline markpauloleksiw

• Canada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: Today at 08:21:11 am »
    Sorry to hear that others have had a similar experience. I presume Indiereader pays their reviewers and if they are not doing their job...well it affects them and the service they provide.

It is very hard for these services to find "decent" reviewers because the demand for the service is out there.  Reedsy Discover started doing reviews a while back and that added to the pile/demand for reviewers.

Mark

KBoards.com

• Advertisement