Author Topic: Setting up LLC/ ISBNs?  (Read 541 times)  

Offline Deke

• View Profile
Setting up LLC/ ISBNs?
« on: June 27, 2020, 01:48:17 pm »
I'm planning to publish a coffee table book later this year...more ambitious than my Kindle books. Do I need an LLC? And should the LLC be formed before I get ISBNs? I've never bought ISBN's before. Are they registered to a business or a person?

Dale Kutzera | Website

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline jm2019

• View Profile
    Re: Setting up LLC/ ISBNs?
    « Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 09:02:59 pm »
    I can't speak to ISBNs. I created an LLC for both privacy/protection issues and also to deal with taxation so I can offset expenses against my royalties rather than treating the income as personal income. This is for the US. You'll want to look at the economics of it - some states are more expensive than the others to file/create/maintain.

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
    • If you want real love, buy a dog.
      • View Profile
      • Margaret Brazear Author
    « Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 12:06:41 am »
    If it's like a limited company (I'm English) the ISBN would be owned by the company, as a limited company is a separate legal entity.

What's a coffee table book?

The past is another country; they do things differently there
    Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Newsletter

Offline P.W.JORDAN

• UK
    • Don't get it right, get it written-Lee Child
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 12:35:29 am »
    Hi, I was looking into this for the first time late last week and I'd appreciate your thoughts.
    Im planning to launch my Debut Novel later in the year but wondered do I need to have a Company set up and purchase ISBN first?
    Deke, from your post you've travelled this path and not needed to up to this point.
    Is it just a preference not to have?

I'm PHILLIP JORDAN, my Debut Novel 'CODE OF SILENCE' is scheduled toward the end of 2020.
    PHILLIP JORDAN | WEBSITE | LEARN MORE | CODE OF SILENCE

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 03:24:32 am »
    Hi, I was looking into this for the first time late last week and I'd appreciate your thoughts.
    Im planning to launch my Debut Novel later in the year but wondered do I need to have a Company set up and purchase ISBN first?
    Deke, from your post you've travelled this path and not needed to up to this point.
    Is it just a preference not to have?
    You don't need a company until you are making a lot of money; then it's expedient for tax purposes. You don't need an ISBN either i f you're publishing through Amazon kdp as you can get a free one from them.

Offline Sleeping Cat Books

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 04:18:57 am »
    I created an LLC for both privacy/protection issues and also to deal with taxation so I can offset expenses against my royalties rather than treating the income as personal income. This is for the US. You'll want to look at the economics of it - some states are more expensive than the others to file/create/maintain.
    You don't need an LLC in order to write off business expenses. Sole proprietors can do so (in the US), using Schedule C.

Single-member LLCs are still taxed as personal income anyway - a disregarded entity - unless the owner elects to be taxed as a corporation: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/limited-liability-company-llc.

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 04:48:09 am »
    You don't need an LLC in order to write off business expenses. Sole proprietors can do so (in the US), using Schedule C.

They can in the UK as well.

Offline P.W.JORDAN

• UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 08:03:48 am »
    You don't need a company until you are making a lot of money; then it's expedient for tax purposes. You don't need an ISBN either i f you're publishing through Amazon kdp as you can get a free one from them.
    Thanks very much for the advice!
    P

I'm PHILLIP JORDAN, my Debut Novel 'CODE OF SILENCE' is scheduled toward the end of 2020.

Offline Deke

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 05:15:55 pm »
    Thanks for the advice. The LLC's in Washington State cost $200. The benefits, I suppose, are in legal protection from any lawsuits (private assets are shielded), but maybe not much else. If you don't form a business, can you still register ISBN's as "Clever Name Publishing" rather than your own name?

Dale Kutzera | Website

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 09:43:41 pm »
    Thanks for the advice. The LLC's in Washington State cost $200. The benefits, I suppose, are in legal protection from any lawsuits (private assets are shielded), but maybe not much else. If you don't form a business, can you still register ISBN's as "Clever Name Publishing" rather than your own name?
    I'm English so forgive the ignorance, but what is 'clever name publishing' when it's at home? You can buy ISBNs but it won't be any legal protection.

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 04:47:05 am »
    If you don't form a business, can you still register ISBN's as "Clever Name Publishing" rather than your own name?
    You'll need to research your state and local regulations. I operate as a sole proprietor with a registered Trade Name (sometimes called a DBA - Doing Business As), which is $50 for 2 years in my locale.

Offline Deke

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: June 29, 2020, 06:00:36 pm »
    Lucky you, in WA state it's $200 to form an LLC. Not sure what the renewal rate is.
    My question about ISBN was if I can register the ISBN as the name of my own publishing imprint (whatever clever name I pick) without forming an LLC.

Dale Kutzera | Website

Offline P.W.JORDAN

• UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 12:38:59 am »
    HI, when I was registering my account withwww.neilsenisbnstore.com apart from username, name, address and the usual staples it did ask for the publishing name (which I do not have as a registered company- I think this is what I think you're looking for)

PS: Neilsen deal with UK and British territories.

US contact is [url][email protected]/url] may be worth dropping them a mail.

Phillip

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 04:40:20 am »
    My question about ISBN was if I can register the ISBN as the name of my own publishing imprint (whatever clever name I pick) without forming an LLC.
    Yes. As I said, I operate as a sole proprietor with a Trade Name. My ISBN block is registered to me as the owner of the business, with the Trade Name as the publisher (Organization Name in Bowker).
    « Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 04:44:38 am by Sleeping Cat Books »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement