Author Topic: Hoopla and D2D  (Read 435 times)  

Offline alhawke

• View Profile
    • A.L. Hawke website
Hoopla and D2D
« on: June 28, 2020, 09:06:45 am »
Anyone publish on Hoopla? It's a different type of library listing available now on D2D. It states "long processing time" if you publish with them and it has been in beta testing for around a year. Most of the time I'm comfortable just listing my book through all available distributors, whether through D2D or Smashwords (I'm in both), but this company seems different. Particularly, I don't want pricing to be muddled when I run promotions.

Any problems with Hoopla? Sales?

A.L. Hawke | Author website | Goodreads | BookBub

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline TSDwrites

• View Profile
    Re: Hoopla and D2D
    « Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 09:14:19 am »
    My titles have been in processing with them via D2D for 6 months. Going to untick them end of the month if nothing changes.

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 11:39:10 am »
    I would love to publish with Hoopla, but the backlog on them processing titles is so extreme I seriously doubt it'll ever happen. I do think I've had one or two titles make it through but when it's book six of a series it doesn't help much. I wrote D2D at one point and asked about it and they said they were prioritizing newer titles (even though some of the new titles I'd published hadn't gone through) and whoever responded to me also informed if I didn't like it I was welcome to uncheck the box. First time I've had a negative customer interaction with D2D and that came after I had waited six months before I reached out. I've done well with Hoopla for audio which is why I was so excited.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.

Offline alhawke

• View Profile
      • A.L. Hawke website
    « Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 11:28:15 pm »
    Thanks guys. I've delisted for now. Maybe I'll resubmit it if it goes out of beta on D2D.

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
      • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
    « Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 08:27:41 am »
    I don't think I've ever earned money from Hoopla, but that's true of several D2D outlets. Nor do I know if all my books are listed there, since I don't bother checking on them as long as they are selling somewhere!

I have one novel that for many years has sold much better on D2D than through KDP. I have no idea why that would be true, but it convinces me of the merits of offering my books in as many different markets (and indeed formats) as I possibly can. (I'm even now having one translated into Greek, though I've yet to reach the $10 threshold at Babelcube, nor do I have any idea of how I'm going to handle the formatting, which in my experience is awful when the translation is finished by the translator -- just a Word doc with no attention to how it will look on the screen.)
    Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline Some Random Guy

• Planet Earth
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 09:37:39 am »
    I earned a few hundred bucks from Hoopla in the last year, but my last three releases (October 2019, December 2019 and June 2020) still aren't up on the Hoopla site.

Offline alhawke

• View Profile
      • A.L. Hawke website
    « Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 09:43:03 pm »
    Okay, ^^ a few hundred bucks from an unknown site through D2D definitely peaks my interest :) Thank you.

I resubmitted two of my books. Unfortunately, I can't add my other book because I messed it up by submitting too low a price. Apparently, once you submit, you can't change the pricing. That one will stay out of my Hoopla experiment (hopefully this serves as a warning to others to not do the same dumb mistake).

KBoards.com

• Advertisement