Author Topic: Anybody else feel this way?  (Read 2697 times)  

Offline I am a unicorn

• View Profile
Anybody else feel this way?
« on: June 28, 2020, 10:58:44 am »
Anybody else struggle with motivation when putting out a new book? I've been publishing for 4 years now and I've never had the level of success I think many of us aspire to. I've never believed I would be a bestseller or anything crazy like that, so that's not what I'm talking about. I can't write 20 books in a series and pop out a new book every two months. I'm not that kind of writer, so I know hoping to be crazy successful isn't realistic. I'm ok with not being part of the elite. But there does seem to be a lot of indie authors steadily making a couple hundred dollars a month, and that's what I was aspiring to when I decided to go this route. Is that too lofty?

I've tried everything to get there. Stacking promos, listening to podcasts, reading tons of blogs, researching the market, using PublisherRocket, tweaking AMS, Bookbub ads, Facebook, ALL those, giving thousands of books away, changing launch strategies every time...I mean everything. I've had a handful of months like that - usually launches and the month or two after. I know that money is in the genre. Millions of avid readers who haven't seen my series yet. I mean, I write romance. It's just, I don't know...maybe it's 2020 sucking my soul dry, but I can't find any reason to try with this next launch. Most authors who have had some measure of success on here will admit that there's a good deal of luck involved, and after trying everything, that's the only thing left. But I can't do anything about luck, so...WTH now? I hate to sound so Eeyore about it all, but I just wondered who else felt the same way.

Anybody struggle with this after a while? What do you do to push past it? Or do you push past it? Is there anything inherently wrong with just washing your hands of hustle and accepting that maybe it wasn't meant to be? Even if you love writing stories and will never make the kind of money that justifies the hard work? Anybody??

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline chrisstevenson

• Los Angeles
    • Warrior Writer
      • View Profile
      • Christy's Young Adult Fabuliers
    Re: Anybody else feel this way?
    « Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 11:07:59 am »
    All I can say is, you are not alone. I'm taking a break from promotion and marketing since it has done little to nothing for me, and that's with all the ducks in a row. I would suggest a minor vacation, giving yourself a chance to recoup. I really don't have the stats or figures to understand if this virus thing has had any effect on sales or not, but can only guess that it hasn't been good for it, as was originally touted. Don't beat yourself up over this. I always think I'm the worst case scenario until I see what's happened to many, many authors around me.
    Guerrilla Warfare For Writers (special weapons and tactics)
    http://guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com/

Christy's Young Adult Fabuliers https://christysyoungadultimagineers.com/

Amazon Page: https://www.amazon.com/Chris-Harold-Stevenson/e/B001K8UUBK

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 11:35:42 am »
    My advice would be to write something different. If you're not getting the results you want with what you're writing now and you've tried all the tricks, then...write something different. You can do a different subgenre if you want or a different genre altogether. It could be that you're in a niche that's too competitive to get good visibility to get the results you want.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.

Offline Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books]

• Author of sweet romance, fantasy, mystery/suspense
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 11:50:09 am »
    Romance is a huge genre with a lot of competition.  Rather than paying for advertising, have you tried joining any romance readers' groups on Facebook and other places?  Some are a little slow right now...but readers are still there.

Social media isn't for everyone, but it can be a great way to meet readers and let them know about your books. :)

ETA:  Sorry, I didn't really answer your question.  Yes, I think many of us feel that way sometimes.  It's important to find ways to stay motivated.  I think this is true with any business that is run by one person.  We don't have the luxury of handing things off to others or sharing some of the responsibilities. 

It's important to WANT to do this and to remind ourselves why.  Otherwise, it might be time to think about other options.  Writing can still be fun without it being a business.  We can publish our books (and make them free if we want) just to have the enjoyment of sharing our work with others.  I think we all have to re-evaluate every so often and determine how we want to proceed in the future. 
    « Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 12:01:55 pm by Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books] »

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Mystery, Suspense and Historical Non-Fiction.
    Lavender Lass Books | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter |YouTube | Pinterest | Instagram

Offline I am a unicorn

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 11:57:31 am »
    All I can say is, you are not alone. I'm taking a break from promotion and marketing since it has done little to nothing for me, and that's with all the ducks in a row. I would suggest a minor vacation, giving yourself a chance to recoup. I really don't have the stats or figures to understand if this virus thing has had any effect on sales or not, but can only guess that it hasn't been good for it, as was originally touted. Don't beat yourself up over this. I always think I'm the worst case scenario until I see what's happened to many, many authors around me.

Thank you so much for saying that! The burnout/discouragement factor of this business doesn't seem to be talked about a lot and it's tough! Hopefully we'll all start seeing the results we want sooner rather than later.

Offline I am a unicorn

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 12:00:25 pm »
    My advice would be to write something different. If you're not getting the results you want with what you're writing now and you've tried all the tricks, then...write something different. You can do a different subgenre if you want or a different genre altogether. It could be that you're in a niche that's too competitive to get good visibility to get the results you want.

That could be. I'm not sure what I want to do yet. I'm pregnant, so I know I'll have to take some time off in a few months and maybe that'll give me the space from this for clarity on what's next.

Offline Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books]

• Author of sweet romance, fantasy, mystery/suspense
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 12:03:59 pm »
    That could be. I'm not sure what I want to do yet. I'm pregnant, so I know I'll have to take some time off in a few months and maybe that'll give me the space from this for clarity on what's next.

Congrats!

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Mystery, Suspense and Historical Non-Fiction.
    Lavender Lass Books | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter |YouTube | Pinterest | Instagram

Offline Trioxin 245

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 12:38:49 pm »
    "I've tried everything to get there. Stacking promos, listening to podcasts, reading tons of blogs, researching the market, using PublisherRocket, tweaking AMS, Bookbub ads, Facebook, ALL those, giving thousands of books away, changing launch strategies every time...I mean everything."

So if you are doing all of the above then what is the problem? I know you said it is not working but that is vague. What is not working?What is your read through percentage on a any given series? What about CTR etc on your ads?  There are a number of possibilities of what is going wrong. If you are looking for an answer its need to be more specific :)

Offline corrieg

• Los Angeles, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 01:27:53 pm »
    I have so been there. After about 4 years, I stopped for quite a while to see if I actually wanted to do the hustle anymore. I found after a while, that I did! Its been about five years since then, and this is the best year Ive had yet (managed to break 1k a couple months, which was HUGE for me.) But....that is a long time. My sister was also writing and decided she just didnt really enjoy it enough to do this. And that is fine too!

Also, side note, congrats on being pregnant! I have four kids and I discovered that I CANNOT WRITE when Im pregnant. I dont know if its all the blood being redirected to the baby or maybe Being uncomfortable and/or feeling sick, but with #4 Id finally realized the pattern and gave myself complete freedom not to write until she was born. It was really freeing and I actually did find myself jotting down ideas or scenes because I wanted to. But giving myself the mental freedom was wonderful. The last thing you want during pregnancy is to feel bad about another thing youre not doing. And then I was excited to start writing again when my body started to recover.

Best of luck to you!
    Corrie Garrett

Offline I am a unicorn

• View Profile

Offline I am a unicorn

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: June 28, 2020, 01:33:53 pm »
    Romance is a huge genre with a lot of competition.  Rather than paying for advertising, have you tried joining any romance readers' groups on Facebook and other places?  Some are a little slow right now...but readers are still there.

Social media isn't for everyone, but it can be a great way to meet readers and let them know about your books. :)

ETA:  Sorry, I didn't really answer your question.  Yes, I think many of us feel that way sometimes.  It's important to find ways to stay motivated.  I think this is true with any business that is run by one person.  We don't have the luxury of handing things off to others or sharing some of the responsibilities. 

It's important to WANT to do this and to remind ourselves why.  Otherwise, it might be time to think about other options.  Writing can still be fun without it being a business.  We can publish our books (and make them free if we want) just to have the enjoyment of sharing our work with others.  I think we all have to re-evaluate every so often and determine how we want to proceed in the future.

I think that's true! I never started writing these books to make big money (thankfully, lol) - I started writing them because the story was so much fun. I really think it boils down to the fact that so much bad has happened this year that I want to believe something good can happen. Possibilities drive hope. But I also know how much work it is to get any results and how it usually ends up, so it feels hollow to hope. Does that make any sense?!

Offline I am a unicorn

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: June 28, 2020, 01:50:48 pm »
    "I've tried everything to get there. Stacking promos, listening to podcasts, reading tons of blogs, researching the market, using PublisherRocket, tweaking AMS, Bookbub ads, Facebook, ALL those, giving thousands of books away, changing launch strategies every time...I mean everything."

So if you are doing all of the above then what is the problem? I know you said it is not working but that is vague. What is not working?What is your read through percentage on a any given series? What about CTR etc on your ads?  There are a number of possibilities of what is going wrong. If you are looking for an answer its need to be more specific :)

Oh yeah - I should've included that! I have one series that's four books. I'm only running one Facebook ad right now (AMS/BookBub ads never really panned out for me) and my CTR is 12%. I will say that my read-through rate has been consistently high all year! It's kind of hard to know the exact percentage, but if I can figure out how to post pictures on here, I'll include a screenshot of June. (BTW, I love that KDP Select does this color-coded breakdown now!) I sell a couple of books a month on average, but the majority of my income is from KU. Right now I'm breaking even on my ad spend, but I can't seem to push past that on a regular basis. That's the problem I'm talking about here - treading water basically.

Offline boba1823

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: June 28, 2020, 02:56:06 pm »
    A note of encouragement: breaking even on your ad spend is a really good sign.

Assuming you have not already tested several hundred different ad variations (and spend many thousands in ad costs), it's usually safe to assume that there is significant room for improvement in ad efficiency. So that's one area for possible improvement.

Plus, for almost all of us, there is going to be at least some room for improvement in packaging - book titles, covers, and blurbs - and also the opening preview section of the book.

If your book can break even on advertising spending, that means that you have a really solid basis in terms of the combined advertising approach, overall book concept, and packaging. That puts the book way ahead of most other indie books, for whatever that's worth. But more importantly, it means that incremental improvements (ideally in all of these areas) should be able to push you into profitability. As can just gradually publishing more works and accumulating fans over the long run.

Offline I am a unicorn

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: June 28, 2020, 04:17:24 pm »
    I have so been there. After about 4 years, I stopped for quite a while to see if I actually wanted to do the hustle anymore. I found after a while, that I did! Its been about five years since then, and this is the best year Ive had yet (managed to break 1k a couple months, which was HUGE for me.) But....that is a long time. My sister was also writing and decided she just didnt really enjoy it enough to do this. And that is fine too!

Also, side note, congrats on being pregnant! I have four kids and I discovered that I CANNOT WRITE when Im pregnant. I dont know if its all the blood being redirected to the baby or maybe Being uncomfortable and/or feeling sick, but with #4 Id finally realized the pattern and gave myself complete freedom not to write until she was born. It was really freeing and I actually did find myself jotting down ideas or scenes because I wanted to. But giving myself the mental freedom was wonderful. The last thing you want during pregnancy is to feel bad about another thing youre not doing. And then I was excited to start writing again when my body started to recover.

Best of luck to you!

Congrats!! I can't imagine having a $1k month! That's so crazy. Do you mind me asking how many books you have out? This baby is my third and my youngest isn't even 2, so I agree that writing while pregnant is tough. My hormones are everywhere!  :o I had to delay publishing my last two books for a year because I was pregnant and could not handle anything!! I remember being so frustrated and disappointed in myself back then, but it worked out just fine. I still have two prequel novellas to write, but I can't even attempt starting those. I think waiting until the dust settles from 2020 and this next baby may be best!

Offline I am a unicorn

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: June 28, 2020, 04:21:09 pm »
    A note of encouragement: breaking even on your ad spend is a really good sign.

Assuming you have not already tested several hundred different ad variations (and spend many thousands in ad costs), it's usually safe to assume that there is significant room for improvement in ad efficiency. So that's one area for possible improvement.

Plus, for almost all of us, there is going to be at least some room for improvement in packaging - book titles, covers, and blurbs - and also the opening preview section of the book.

If your book can break even on advertising spending, that means that you have a really solid basis in terms of the combined advertising approach, overall book concept, and packaging. That puts the book way ahead of most other indie books, for whatever that's worth. But more importantly, it means that incremental improvements (ideally in all of these areas) should be able to push you into profitability. As can just gradually publishing more works and accumulating fans over the long run.

Wow, that is encouraging! Thank you. I've been fine-tuning my ads over the last year and seem to have hit a rhythm. It's easy to get discouraged when you're stagnant even if you're kind of in a good place, so thanks for the reminder. Maybe I'll be able to figure out what I can do to push into profitability.

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
      • Golden Elm Publishing
    « Reply #15 on: June 29, 2020, 08:13:44 am »
    What kind of romance do you write? You might think about expanding into other types of romance to appeal to a different set of readers.

Offline markpauloleksiw

• Canada
      • View Profile
      • Mark Paul Oleksiw's Website
    « Reply #16 on: June 29, 2020, 10:53:05 am »
    Romance is a cut-throat genre. A couple of years back the infamous bookstuffers of KU thrived in that genre...(some think they returned).

It has a high readership but tons of established novelist with a following.

My advice is to carve out a niche within that genre..a subgenre.

You also need to spend money on ads to get brand exposure...and be willing to invest meaning spend more than you make for a time.

Mark

Offline corrieg

• Los Angeles, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: June 29, 2020, 11:22:16 am »
    Do you mind me asking how many books you have out? This baby is my third and my youngest isn't even 2, so I agree that writing while pregnant is tough. My hormones are everywhere!  :o I had to delay publishing my last two books for a year because I was pregnant and could not handle anything!! I remember being so frustrated and disappointed in myself back then, but it worked out just fine. I still have two prequel novellas to write, but I can't even attempt starting those. I think waiting until the dust settles from 2020 and this next baby may be best!
    Yeah, 2020 has been a monster!  And it sounds like you've been through the mud on writing/publishing around life events already, so just know you're not alone in that!
    I have 9 1/2 books out now (the 1/2 is a prequel novella for a scifi series, and also a giveaway for email signups - it's done pretty much zilch, ugh). But the bulk of my sales have been the last four or five books when I pivoted to romance genres that I also really love. In particular the last three, which are a Pride and Prejudice variation series. Then that kicked my backlist up a bit. I wish I'd had more romance novels out already so that these new readers had more to read! But that's the nature of the game. I'm still super small fry compared to a lot of people here, but sometimes it helps to hear stories from people closer to the beginning. I definitely got lucky that I realized there was a popular niche that I loved to read, but also, my writing in this series is a lot better than it was 10 or 11 novels ago (there were a few duds that I didn't publish), so that helped a lot too.

Good luck with your fam and your writing!
    Corrie Garrett

Offline I am a unicorn

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: June 29, 2020, 11:27:43 am »
    What kind of romance do you write? You might think about expanding into other types of romance to appeal to a different set of readers.

I write paranormal romance. The prequel series I'm writing is leaning much more towards urban fantasy (very little romance).

Offline Decon

• View Profile
      • Declan Conner, Blog
    « Reply #19 on: June 29, 2020, 12:27:38 pm »
    I arrived where you are 2 years or so ago and stopped writing and marketing, not starting again on anything else until around 2 months ago even though when I stopped, I was a good way into a few writing projects. I just came to the conclusion it wasn't worth the effort.

Mine wasn't just demotivation that I wasn't getting a good enough return on the investment in time, life circumstances and moving countries didn't help and threw up other priorities, but I definately lost my mojo.

During that timeout, I've read a lot in my genre, then all of a sudden, I became excited again to want to finish what I'd left unfinished, but more importantly to outline a big idea I'd come up with for a trilogy. By the end of this year, I hope to put out 5 books to include the trilogy. I've never outlined in such depth, so I'm really excited at the way the planning is progressing. I already had 20 chapters written of the first in the trilogy by the seat of my pants, when I realised it was too big an idea to progress without indepth planning and considerable research in a, subject I liked.

Basically, I no longer want to write to hope to sell anything and have no expectation of making tons of money, but the motivation to simply get my ideas written down and published.

Anyway, that's me, but what I am saying is, if you have to step away, all is not necessarily lost and you could return bigger, stronger and wiser.

Congrats on the pregnancy and good luck with whatever you decide.
    « Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 06:22:59 pm by Decon »

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
    Declan Conner | blog

Online Carol Davis

• New York
      • View Profile
      • Carol Davis Author
    « Reply #20 on: June 29, 2020, 12:51:30 pm »
    I make a couple hundred dollars a month -- but it's because I have a huge catalog. (Something like 40 books, mostly novellas.) Each individual book makes a few dollars a month at best.

I've got two separate pen names/genres. My science fiction and PNR books I let float along by themselves because I couldn't find a reliable way to promote them. But for my sweet romance, I built up a subscriber list of about 1500 people, and I swap "advertising" in other people's newsletters. That's worked far better for me than paid advertising.

As for struggling with motivation, I think that's been a problem for almost everyone these past few months. I've got almost a dozen stories started, with no real motivation to keep going on any of them. A writer friend reminded me that we're all swimming in stress hormones and need to remember to be kind to ourselves when and where we can. And you've got a baby on the way! (Congratulations!)

Maybe you can take a quiet moment and ask yourself what your definition of "success" is at this point in time. Can you find some new avenues of promotion for your existing books, and set aside any big new projects for next year? This business is crazy and unpredictable at the best of times, and this year... It's just nothing any of us saw coming.

Best of luck with the books and getting ready for your new arrival!

Offline I am a unicorn

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: June 29, 2020, 05:27:36 pm »
    Romance is a cut-throat genre. A couple of years back the infamous bookstuffers of KU thrived in that genre...(some think they returned).

It has a high readership but tons of established novelist with a following.

My advice is to carve out a niche within that genre..a subgenre.

You also need to spend money on ads to get brand exposure...and be willing to invest meaning spend more than you make for a time.

Mark

Sound advice. Thank you!

Offline NanSweet

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: June 29, 2020, 08:04:22 pm »
    Yes, I can definitely relate.  I've had 4 different pen names with 4 different genres, each one I thought would hit and nothing ever did.  I think because I was chasing trends.  I really like writing middle grade fantasy best, so this pen name is the one that stuck. You had mentioned not writing series, but maybe with romance you can do a sort-of 'Catch-all' type of series, something like introduce a character in Book 1 that ends up the lead in Book 2 and so on.  Or maybe something like Debbie Macomber with a variety of people all living in the same town.  A long series definitely helps...

Carol, thank you for posting...I am in that place exactly...

BOOK 1 of Dusky Hollows is FREE.
    Nan Sweet | Dusky Hollows

Offline I am a unicorn

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: June 30, 2020, 08:14:39 am »
    I arrived where you are 2 years or so ago and stopped writing and marketing, not starting again on anything else until around 2 months ago even though when I stopped, I was a good way into a few writing projects. I just came to the conclusion it wasn't worth the effort.

Mine wasn't just demotivation that I wasn't getting a good enough return on the investment in time, life circumstances and moving countries didn't help and threw up other priorities, but I definately lost my mojo.

During that timeout, I've read a lot in my genre, then all of a sudden, I became excited again to want to finish what I'd left unfinished, but more importantly to outline a big idea I'd come up with for a trilogy. By the end of this year, I hope to put out 5 books to include the trilogy. I've never outlined in such depth, so I'm really excited at the way the planning is progressing. I already had 20 chapters written of the first in the trilogy by the seat of my pants, when I realised it was too big an idea to progress without indepth planning and considerable research in a, subject I liked.

Basically, I no longer want to write to hope to sell anything and have no expectation of making tons of money, but the motivation to simply get my ideas written down and published.

Anyway, that's me, but what I am saying is, if you have to step away, all is not necessarily lost and you could return bigger, stronger and wiser.

Congrats on the pregnancy and good luck with whatever you decide.

I agree that's it's totally necessary to step away sometimes because the rat race is taxing! I'm impressed you can outline! It's my weakest skill in storytelling. Honestly, I'm shocked I don't have plot holes. I owe that to my excellent editor and proofreaders! I'm glad that someone else was able to come through feeling like this since it's mental quick sand. Good luck with your series!

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: June 30, 2020, 08:38:06 am »
    Wish I could outline. I make an effort at it to start, then as I'm writing the story just goes off on its own tangent and I end up miles from where I planned.

I enjoy the journey, though, haha.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement