Author Topic: Removing all books without deregistering  (Read 934 times)  

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
Removing all books without deregistering
« on: June 28, 2020, 02:50:45 pm »
DH wants to borrow my Oasis 2 and check out the larger screen an an e-ink device.
I have 97 pages of books on there and the only way I can find to remove the books is one at a time.
I looked at Manage Content and Devices and while it claimed I could see device content on it, I don't think it was accurate. That was on my phone. I have not given up and looked on a computer.
Is there an easy way to remove a lot of content quickly?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    Re: Removing all books without deregistering
    « Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 03:04:13 pm »
    If you have a lot of books on board it might be fastest to do a factory reset.  I'd de-register it first, do the reset and then register it again.  That should take less than 5 minutes.

Or you could just leave the books on the device while he reads his book on it.  If you're likely to read the same books you can turn off whispersync so the device you're reading on won't try to sync with his reading positions.

Barry

Offline LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 04:31:07 pm »
    Why do your books need to come off for him to read on it? If he D/L's a book to read it will be first on the list sorted by newest so it would be easy enough for him to find and when he's finished it's ready for you just as you left it.
    My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    There's no bad day if you have a good book.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 06:04:31 am »
    It's not that they need to come off so he can use it - that's more of a coincidence.  I don't like to keep that much content on a single device unless I am going on vacation or something.  I don't like wiping it out since it takes me a while to remember all the stuff I want to turn off (hello popular highlights).
    On the original Kindle, there was a mode where you could select more than one item - either to download or to remove it from the device.  The app on the tablets works the same way; I can select multiple items and remove them from the device.  So I was just curious.
    Since I'm on a computer this morning, I'm going to try to Manage Content and Devices again to see if I get a different result.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 08:19:13 am »
    DH wants to borrow my Oasis 2 and check out the larger screen an an e-ink device.
    I have 97 pages of books on there and the only way I can find to remove the books is one at a time.
    I looked at Manage Content and Devices and while it claimed I could see device content on it, I don't think it was accurate. That was on my phone. I have not given up and looked on a computer.
    Is there an easy way to remove a lot of content quickly?
    Go to settings-Device options-Advanced option
    Last item is storage management. Under manual removal you can click on each category (books, docs, etc) and then checkmark what you want to delete from the kindle. You still have to checkmark all, but at least its then all at once. Although looking at it now, I only get 7 pages, but have about 200 books on my kindle. Not sure what is up with that.  I haven't tried it myself, but give it a shot.

Offline geezergas

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 08:20:26 am »
    There is a way, I need to re learn it.  My Kindle (DX) was full, maybe 1000 books.  Somehow I was able to get rid of them, send them all to the Cloud (whatever that is).  I cleaned the Kindle and they are all still available for others to draw from.  I'll keep watching.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 12:11:35 pm »
    Go to settings-Device options-Advanced option
    Last item is storage management. Under manual removal you can click on each category (books, docs, etc) and then checkmark what you want to delete from the kindle. You still have to checkmark all, but at least its then all at once. Although looking at it now, I only get 7 pages, but have about 200 books on my kindle. Not sure what is up with that.  I haven't tried it myself, but give it a shot.

That is what I was looking for.  I got into settings yesterday, but I didn't go far enough.  Thank you!

On the Amazon Content and Devices page when you select a device and then choose device content, it shows you the content you have downloaded to all your devices, not a specific one.  So that wasn't really helpful.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 12:37:11 pm »
    Do you see all your books on that storage page? Cause I only see a handful of mine. Its strange.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 01:09:00 pm »
    By the time I got there I only had 30 or so titles on the kindle and they all showed up.

Offline LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 06:22:49 pm »
    On the Amazon Content and Devices page when you select a device and then choose device content, it shows you the content you have downloaded to all your devices, not a specific one.  So that wasn't really helpful.

I don't find that to be true with my devices. I own 2 different Kindle models. When I go to content and devices and select them and view content I get two distinctly different content lists.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 04:29:55 am »
    That is what I was looking for.  I got into settings yesterday, but I didn't go far enough.  Thank you!

I think you can further click on 'device' on that page.

.... <checking> ....

Yes! if you go to a book and click on the down arrow under the 'devices' column. It will tell you which devices that book is on.  If you click a specific device, it will show you only the books on that device.  It's a weird way to do it but you can get there. Once you have it showing only the books on a specific device, you should be able to delete a bunch at a time as usual. Used to be limited to 10 at a time, but that might have changed.

How do I know this? I think I did it by accident once so I knew you could. it was just a matter of figuring out how I'd done it! :D
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: June 30, 2020, 06:06:41 am »
    So I must be missing a step because I still see too many items - there are only 3-4 books on my Oasis 2 and I get over 1,000
    Amazon
    Manage Your Content and Devices
    Devices
    Kindles
    Choose my Oasis 2
    Click View device content button on right side of screen
    See 1,336 books - I know it's not library since that is over 5,000 now

Where did I go wrong?

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 09:54:59 am »
    So I must be missing a step because I still see too many items - there are only 3-4 books on my Oasis 2 and I get over 1,000
    Amazon
    Devices
    Kindles
    Choose my Oasis 2

Where did I go wrong?

Hmmm .... I got there a different way, but ended up the same place. Not sure what's going on with yours but I specifically picked my husband's kindle as I know it only has a couple dozen titles. When I get to the screen for its device content, it looks right.

Only thing I can think is you aren't looking at the device you think you are?  Sorry. :(
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Fogeydc

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 10:57:43 am »
    I'd be afraid of *ever* trying to remove something from a device using the MYCD page on the PC -- seems all too easy to really mess up, a stray twitch of the mouse (or some s/w change on their end) & *poof* it's gone forever from the account.

Offline LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: June 30, 2020, 01:03:50 pm »
    Amazon
    Devices
    Kindles
    Choose my Oasis 2

Where did I go wrong?

I get 289 on my primary and 164 on my backup. I go through the same steps. I use Google Chrome.
    1. www.amazon.com
    2. Under hello Leo, accounts and lists I choose "Your content and devices"
    3. I click the devices tab near the top.
    4. It opens a window with a really large checkbox, one for Kindles and one for Fires, I have 2 and 1 each.
    5. I click the Kindles one and it a drop down box opens with the two choices
    6. I click the blue name I've chosen for them and get another box where I can choose deregister or view device content
    7. When I view the content I get the 289 or 164.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: July 01, 2020, 05:38:02 am »
    OK - then we are going with "that one is just messed up."
    After the last post, I went and looked at some of the other devices and those numbers seem to be more in line with what's on them.  I restarted the Oasis, but it didn't seem to make a difference.  If it annoys me too much I guess I will end up resetting it and starting over.
    Thanks everyone!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement