Author Topic: Two Editions of the Same Book  (Read 201 times)  

Offline JeanetteRaleigh

• View Profile
    • Jeanette Raleigh
Two Editions of the Same Book
« on: June 28, 2020, 05:37:51 pm »
Hi All,

My When, Were & Howl series need a serious reboot, so I'm redesigning covers.  I don't want to change the print books.  Ideally, I'd like to have Second Editions releases, 1st edition ebooks with the old covers and 2nd edition ebooks with the new, so that the print books still have a matching ebook.  I checked Amazon and they basically said to have a Previously published as [book title] by [author name]." when submitting as a new book, but not whether the old book should be removed.  On the other hand, that sounds ripe for Amazon difficulties down the road. (I understand that I can only have one edition in KU and none wide...this is aside from that.)

I'm inclined just to change the ebook covers/titles, even though the covers won't match so that I won't have any problems later.  Has anyone tried keeping both editions or done replacement covers?  What did you do?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    Re: Two Editions of the Same Book
    « Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 11:33:41 pm »
    As far as I know, you can't have two versions of the same book where the only difference is the cover. Amazon frowns on that.

Offline JeanetteRaleigh

• View Profile
      • Jeanette Raleigh
    Re: Two Editions of the Same Book
    « Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 06:46:30 pm »
    Thanks for your feedback.  I "knew" that, but felt a bit backed into a corner and hoped for a different answer, LOL.  The KDP site says that any title or author name change should come with a new edition, but my old edition ties to the print, not to mention the reviews...

So...

My decision is to redesign the covers, but keep the old titles.  Less hassle that way, and I won't have to worry about starting over.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement