Author Topic: Cover check needed, please  (Read 2037 times)  

Offline jb1111

• PNW US
    • View Profile
Re: Cover check needed, please
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2020, 03:54:00 am »
If you're using the first cover, my only criticism is the title font needs a little more contrast to it, so it stands out against the background.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Decon

• View Profile
      • Declan Conner, Blog
    « Reply #26 on: July 05, 2020, 05:23:05 am »
    Quote from: AugFul link=t,opic=324319.msg3900861#msg3900861 date=1593620531
    The elephant in the room ... So, Kiwi Joe, you believe in all honesty (IN ALL HONESTY) that you remote viewed nine secret weapons from these world powers and you think its a good idea to release this information to the public for a few dollars? Just wondering how someone goes into writing a "non-fiction" book like this -- are you totally 100% believing in what you are telling the public? Or is this a money-grab for the gullible?

In fairness to the author, the US and Russians have spent millions on these types of projects, especially in the Cold War, with quite a few documentaries about the subject, naming names, and targets, so it's hardly secret, so nothing wrong with a first hand account, unless he signed non-disclosure of secrets contract. Or has permission. I believe the Russians started first and the US followed and have since closed the projects down, but who knows?

As for the new cover, I like the new typography, but not the grunge background for non-fiction. With your experience of the countries involved, I'd consider something to show conflict with a gloss background of say US, Russian, or Chinese flags if those are the main countries involved to give it a political conflict nature. No need for a person at all. Flags could put it on the political biography shelf.

I use remote viewing/Astral travel, in my fiction thriller shown below in the cover of Missing: The Body of Evidence that involves an antagonist remote viewer assassinating people using fire to cause the bodies to turn to Ash.  The woman MC detective can remote travel, but also had an ability to cause glass to smash when under stress, so that was a reason I went with the image of a woman with a sparkle on her eye and breaking glass, but something like that wouldn't denote non-fiction.
    « Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 05:42:34 am by Decon »

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
    Declan Conner | blog

Offline baldricko

• Sydney, Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: July 05, 2020, 06:21:02 am »
    I think I've beaten the cover enough. This last one should do it. It looks cleaner anyway.

Kathy, yes, I was thinking the same, I like a face on a cover, even if small and in the background, but I like the ambiguity of the image in the one I just put up too. I think the font looks clean and easier to read.

JB111, - like this one I've just posted?

Decon -  I kept the grunge background - but did shine and sharpen it a little. It's supposed to suggest fantastic and awful machines of war doing what they do. I am hoping the contrast between the icy titles and the suggested tech action in the background image I was shooting for is now more evident?
    « Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 06:26:31 am by baldricko »

Offline Decon

• View Profile
      • Declan Conner, Blog
    « Reply #28 on: July 05, 2020, 06:52:31 am »
    Okay, so you have made your decision, but going back to a point someone made, "Most" as a word doesn't hang right in the title, which would be more apt as Most Lethal that you take it to mean

Let the reader find out what weapons they are when they read. Most could be considered as an unknown number, as in the majority, or a lot. It's simply a non-specific word that grammar checkers would flag. If you don't want to delete it, try "Top" which isn't as confusing and more specific than Most could be misconstrued as.

Lastly, if you leave it as Most, the background image is fine because I can hardly make out the word most in your title.

Consider, making adjustments in placement of the white in the background so that it doesn't interfere with the title, which needs to pop. Your choice. if it were me, I'd stretch the background image so the white was below Remote Viewing and the following tag line. That is perhaps the most important wording of your title. The title may look good in full size on a computer screen, but as a thumbnail, it's non-descript.

Sorry about the multiple editing, typed on my cell phone with fat fingers and predictive text with a mind of its own
    « Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 07:16:29 am by Decon »

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
    Declan Conner | blog

Offline jb1111

• PNW US
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: July 05, 2020, 08:08:45 am »

JB111, - like this one I've just posted?

Yes, that is better. If you could either slightly dim the white clouds, or thicken the outline of your title's font, in my view that would be a little better. The title still seems to bleed into the clouds slightly -- something not apparent in full size, but a thumbnail could possibly make the title a tiny bit harder to read.

Remember, you want the best, instant readability you can get for a title, as many shoppers on their Kindle will see thumbnails.

But if you left it as is, that's OK, too. Just small suggestions here....

Offline baldricko

• Sydney, Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: July 05, 2020, 04:01:56 pm »
    Yes, that is better. If you could either slightly dim the white clouds, or thicken the outline of your title's font, in my view that would be a little better. The title still seems to bleed into the clouds slightly -- something not apparent in full size, but a thumbnail could possibly make the title a tiny bit harder to read.

Remember, you want the best, instant readability you can get for a title, as many shoppers on their Kindle will see thumbnails.

But if you left it as is, that's OK, too. Just small suggestions here....

Thanks for your suggestions. I appreciate them. The white against white is definitely not the best outcome. I was planning a textured titled but that doesn't seem to be within my skill range at the moment. A dark title with a thin bright stroke line or back illumination against the darker areas may work better.

Offline baldricko

• Sydney, Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: July 05, 2020, 04:12:31 pm »
    Thank you everyone for all the suggestions! They have been very helpful, believe it or not. ;)

The cover still needs work but at this point I might have some time out from the design department. It's about as intense as writing the book.

Offline Flying Pizza Pie

• Keaau, HI
      • View Profile
      • Nevada Gaming History
    « Reply #32 on: July 05, 2020, 04:47:58 pm »
    I see that you are leaning towards using the title instead of starting a new book. Personally, I didn't see the cover as non-fiction, or the title. I might have understood with "Remote Viewed Most Secret Weapons." Do you need "Of Nations?"

Al W Moe | Blog | Facebook | GoodReads

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
      • Golden Elm Publishing
    « Reply #33 on: July 05, 2020, 06:45:19 pm »
    It looks a lot more like non-fiction now. I agree the white smoke clouds need to get reddened a bit or shifted so the title is clearer.

Offline baldricko

• Sydney, Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: July 07, 2020, 03:11:43 am »
    It looks a lot more like non-fiction now. I agree the white smoke clouds need to get reddened a bit or shifted so the title is clearer.
    Thanks. I'm holding back on making any more changes for a while. It can go on forever. Reddening the white glare a little where there are letters is a good idea. I might do that in a couple of days. I'll see how it holds up first

Offline jb1111

• PNW US
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: July 07, 2020, 05:37:03 pm »
    ^^^^^ yeah, if you can adjust the white clouds, the font is probably OK. Just use your judgment on it.

Offline baldricko

• Sydney, Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: July 19, 2020, 06:30:30 pm »
    ^^^^^ yeah, if you can adjust the white clouds, the font is probably OK. Just use your judgment on it.

I added a little more color to the white under the title and did some work with the blend feature. Do the titles stand out as a thumbnail?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement