Author Topic: Can you be in Kindle Unlimited and have a Publisher for same ebook at same time?  (Read 410 times)  

Offline Redgum

• View Profile
Hi Guys

I'm in the process of organising a deal with a publisher who wants to buy the foreign rights to one of my series for a specific language territory. The series is in Kindle Unlimited, and therefore exclusive to Amazon. I know this means I can still allow this publisher to have the paperback rights, but can he sell my ebooks, on his local foreign language Amazon, under his publishing imprint, outside of KU, while the same ebook is in KU on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk etc?

Thanks so much - I want to make sure I can negotiate properly with them  :o

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Decon

• View Profile
      • Declan Conner, Blog
    The only answer worth anything would be a direct answer to this question posed to Amazon, but with more detail than you have given here or from someone who has actually experienced selling foreign rights, or a visit to an attorney.

I'm only guessing here, but if the foreign rights are for a translation version only, then that should not affect your contract with KU as it will be a completely different book. Equally it should not affect world wide sales of of your print book if the rights are for foreign language only.

Books can be allocated specific territory rights, so maybe that is a possible solution if the rights involve the same language, or for a translated book.

It will be all down to the written contract terms that the publisher is proposing to you

« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 02:05:53 am by Decon »

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
    Declan Conner | blog

Offline unkownwriter

• View Profile
    Amazon considers a translation a different book, so yes, you can have a foreign language book with a publisher while the English version is in KU. It's written somewhere in the KU information.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement