Author Topic: Promotion Results - Bookbub Dilemma  (Read 1280 times)  

Offline HobieYak

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • Roys_Books
Promotion Results - Bookbub Dilemma
« on: June 30, 2020, 09:59:17 pm »
I have just finished running a 99 cent Kindle countdown promotion for the first book in my historical fiction series. Thought I'd share the results as I always benefit from reading other similar postings on this forum. I purchased a listing on a few well known promo sites plus applied for heaps of free listing of which a few came to fruition. Here are the results:

Date           Advertising (prices are $US)   Sales      Other Sales In Series
25 June      None                                    2                       1
26 June      Fussy Librarian $21              19                       9
27 June      Book Doggy $20                   8                        0
28 June      Ereader News $50              100                       15
                Book Rebel $20
                Free99Books $0
                Its Write Now $0   
29 June      BookGoodies $12.25           14                      4
30 June      Reading Deals $0               1                         2

The surge in sales on 28th June caused my Amazon best sellers ranking to go from the high 500Ks to just over 3K (I got to no. 3 in a couple of sub-categories). That small success prompted me to apply (yet again) for a Bookbub. I've no idea whether Amazon ranking plays any role in Bookbub's selection criteria but after countless rejections (I'm not wide) I figured I had nothing to lose.

Here's the dilemma - I got accepted for a featured deal, but not in the US. It's for the UK, Australia, India and Canada only. Is this a good thing? It's much cheaper and, based on Bookbub's average sales prediction it would still be a positive ROI. Obviously the US market is what everyone wants - but would accepting this hurt or help future applications for the US?
I also assume I would have to manually drop the book's price for those four marketplaces only. I'll write to KDP to ask about that.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Trioxin 245

• View Profile
    Re: Promotion Results - Bookbub Dilemma
    « Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 11:41:58 pm »
    I do not think its worth the money. It will be hard to break even on the non US sites especially since you will only be making thirty cents a copy.  Your decision will not have any bearing on future applications. Really it comes down to what you want. Exposure? Signups? If positive ROI is goal then I would pass.
    « Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 11:44:38 pm by Trioxin 245 »

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • Destroyer of Science Fiction
      • View Profile
      • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
    « Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 12:57:55 am »
    I had an international (non-US) 99c Featured Deal on 27 march, at the height of pandemic madness. I sold 1500 copies on the day and another 1500 in the week following.

Oh, wait. Is it in KU?

Because you can't change the price for a certain time after a Countdown (check the TOS). And you can't run another Countdown, because it only applies in the US or UK.

Offline HobieYak

• Australia
      • View Profile
      • Roys_Books
    « Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 03:12:19 am »
    I had an international (non-US) 99c Featured Deal on 27 march, at the height of pandemic madness. I sold 1500 copies on the day and another 1500 in the week following.

Oh, wait. Is it in KU?

Because you can't change the price for a certain time after a Countdown (check the TOS). And you can't run another Countdown, because it only applies in the US or UK.

Thanks for that info Patty.

Yes it is in KU. According to my pricing page the earliest I can change the US price is 16th July (14 days after the Countdown ended). The Bookbub international is for the 23rd July so it may be possible to manually alter the price without a Countdown?

Could you tell me how your 1500 copies compared to the Bookbub average sales figure that they quoted and what was the genre of your book ?

Cheers,
    Roy

Offline chrisstevenson

• Los Angeles
    • Warrior Writer
      • View Profile
      • Christy's Young Adult Fabuliers
    « Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 02:23:42 pm »
    Thank you for this. I'm taking notes. Was this a KU -- 99-cent deal? Anyway congrats on what I would consider success in sales.
    Guerrilla Warfare For Writers (special weapons and tactics)
    http://guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com/

Christy's Young Adult Fabuliers https://christysyoungadultimagineers.com/

Amazon Page: https://www.amazon.com/Chris-Harold-Stevenson/e/B001K8UUBK

Offline HobieYak

• Australia
      • View Profile
      • Roys_Books
    « Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 04:13:46 pm »
    Was this a KU -- 99-cent deal?

Yes, the traditional KU countdown deal at 99 cents.

I'm leaning towards taking up the Bookbub offer now.

Offline scottdouglas

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 09:26:05 pm »
    The only international deal I was offered was for a free promo, so obviously it did not have any direct return on investment. I would say it's risky if you are doing it solely to make your money back; but it's worth it if you are trying to get buzz for your book. I got about 1000 downloads, and hit #18 on Amazon UK's overall free bestseller list.

The book performed better after the free promo, and about three months later I was offered a non-free US feature deal (which I took).

Offline HobieYak

• Australia
      • View Profile
      • Roys_Books
    « Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 02:52:40 am »
    Thanks Scott,
    I agree with your assessment about risky ROI but I'm hoping it may be worthwhile in the long run.
    I got an answer back from Amazon saying that I can manually manipulate the prices for the four marketplaces involved (Australia, Canada, UK, India) fourteen days after my Kindle Countdown promotion finished so it looks as though it will be feasible to go ahead.

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 03:09:18 am »
    Brilliant, look forward to seeing your results from the International Bookbub.

Offline edipet

• View Profile
      • Edita A. Petrick
    « Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 03:14:30 pm »
    Here's the dilemma - I got accepted for a featured deal, but not in the US. It's for the UK, Australia, India and Canada only. Is this a good thing? It's much cheaper and, based on Bookbub's average sales prediction it would still be a positive ROI.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not worth the money - you will most likely get even LESS books-sold than you did with ENT. And NO - it will likely NOT be a positive ROI - believe me; BookBub started doing this 'pet-pet' here is my offering, to indie authors, while promoting books that are (truly, not being nasty here) boring crap and poorly presented and written - but from PUBLISHERS, epubs and small publishers and larger ones - I've been tracking this for some time now - any indie author who scores a BookBub promo with a REGULAR distribution audience, should cough up the money and take it. Otherwise - pass, pass, pass - go for ENT, or RobinReads, of BargainBooksy or just a handful of lower promoters - fussylibrarian, ReadingDeals, BookCave and such. Then again, if you can 'throw-away' $180 bucks and not feel it, go for it - might be an interesting experience. Best regards.

suspense action historical and crime thrillers
    Edita A. Petrick | website

Offline Eskimo

• Anchorage, Alaska
    • Eskimo
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: July 03, 2020, 01:11:04 pm »
    Here's the dilemma - I got accepted for a featured deal, but not in the US. It's for the UK, Australia, India and Canada only. Is this a good thing? It's much cheaper and, based on Bookbub's average sales prediction it would still be a positive ROI.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not worth the money - you will most likely get even LESS books-sold than you did with ENT. And NO - it will likely NOT be a positive ROI - believe me; BookBub started doing this 'pet-pet' here is my offering, to indie authors, while promoting books that are (truly, not being nasty here) boring crap and poorly presented and written - but from PUBLISHERS, epubs and small publishers and larger ones - I've been tracking this for some time now - any indie author who scores a BookBub promo with a REGULAR distribution audience, should cough up the money and take it. Otherwise - pass, pass, pass - go for ENT, or RobinReads, of BargainBooksy or just a handful of lower promoters - fussylibrarian, ReadingDeals, BookCave and such. Then again, if you can 'throw-away' $180 bucks and not feel it, go for it - might be an interesting experience. Best regards.

I think the reason these International deals are being offered to Indie authors is that the trad publishers only want US. They know where the money is. And where it isn't.

Offline AmesburyArcher

• U.K.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: July 03, 2020, 01:54:21 pm »
    I have had 3 international Bookbubs,  two at .99 and one freebie, and I made back my money and then some on all of them, but I sell a lot of books in the UK anyway. In fact, if you took away my KU reads, my amounts of paid sales are pretty close  between UK and the US.
    Author of books both historical and fantastical-Stonehenge, Arthurian, Richard III, English queens & mistresses, Robin Hood, dystopian Canada (!) and more...
    Author of historical fiction & historical fantasy
    J.P. Reedman | fb | fb | fb | fb

Offline alhawke

• View Profile
      • A.L. Hawke website
    « Reply #12 on: July 03, 2020, 02:01:43 pm »
    Good luck, HobieYak. I've had an international and a full BookBub promotion. The international did make its money back after a week with a tail, but I sold plenty more books, over 5-fold, with the full ad. I do think international is still strong and can work but, as usual, it depends on your book, your genre, and the direction of the wind.

A.L. Hawke | Author website | Goodreads | BookBub

Offline HobieYak

• Australia
      • View Profile
      • Roys_Books
    Re: Promotion Results - Bookbub Dilemma - Bookbub results
    « Reply #13 on: July 24, 2020, 03:25:29 am »
    I went ahead with the Bookbub International Featured deal. Decided I was willing to take a loss in return for exposure and experience. Ended up selling well over 800 kindle books at 99 cents. The numbers were pretty much evenly spread between UK, Canada and Australia. I had 0 sales in India. There's been a small sell through on the other two books in the series but I'm hoping that will come later if readers like the one that was on special.

The ranking results were pretty good (for whatever that's worth). No. 1 ranking in about three historical sub-categories in each of the three marketplaces plus no. 3 spot in overall Paid In Kindle Store for Canada, no. 4 spot for Australia and No 164 spot for the UK.

I'm pleased enough with the Featured Deal results. I also tried a supporting Bookbub Ad but I didn't get that right. Hardly any clicks. My only excuse is that it was rushed and I have no experience with that form of advertising. On the other hand i spend hardly any of my budget so it was a cheap exercise  :)

Offline Marco de Hoogh

• Netherlands
    • Canadian author seeking literary prowess!
      • View Profile
      • Amazon Author Page
    « Reply #14 on: July 24, 2020, 06:59:41 am »
    Thanks for sharing your experience, HobieYak!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement