Kindle Forum banner

Amazon First Reads -- July 2020

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  telracs 
#1 ·
NOTE: There are 9 titles available this month, and we get to pick 2 free (or reduced if not a Prime member)

Haven't looked any more thoroughly just yet, but here's the list and links, at least. :)

First reads for July

Crime Thriller: White Out

Suspense: Trust No One

Contemporary Fiction: Cleo McDougal Regrets Nothing

Thriller: Her Final Words

Book Club Fiction: The Last of the Moon Girls

Memoir: The Son and Heir

Historical Fiction: Across the Winding River

Children's Picture book: Clover Kitty Goes to Kittygarten

Essays: Tomboyland

See less See more
#3 ·
I checked the First Reads before coming to KB today and was ready to start a thread if there wasn't one yet, good job, Ann!

I downloaded Trust No One right away upon reading the blurb.  It sounds more "detective/police procedural" than just suspense to me.  That was the only choice that actually grabbed me this month even though we can get 2.

#5 ·
I am probably getting Trust no one and her final words. I really enjoyed the thriller/suspense one from last month. Fitst time I got a book in a long time and I read that right away too. Page turner. So maybe I'll stick with those. Technically there are 3 of those this time, but white out is third on list after reading blurb and reviews.

I still don't know what the difference between thriller, suspense and crime thriller is. They always seem the same to me. Reading the blurbs, etc. Thrillers and suspense always seem to have some crime in them too, so I have no clue.

#7 ·
These 4 are possibles. Will wait a bit until some more reviews come in.

Crime Thriller: White Out

Thriller: Her Final Words

Atunah said:
I still don't know what the difference between thriller, suspense and crime thriller is. They always seem the same to me. Reading the blurbs, etc. Thrillers and suspense always seem to have some crime in them too, so I have no clue.
I agree ... they all seem the same genre to me. And "Book Club Fiction" feels completely indefinable. But the blurb on that one looks interesting.

That said ... I have about 8 library books currently borrowed -- a whole bunch came up in the same 4 day period -- so it'll be a while until I get to anything I've bought. I may just skip 'em all on the theory that I've got plenty to read already! :eek: :D ;D

#10 ·
I got Trust no one and White out. Based on reading some of the reviews. The other option, Her final words, it looked like  it was listed as a series on amazon with that being #4. Or I should say they are calling it a bundle. So not sure what that means. But I could not find a series listed on goodreads and character names where different. But it caused my reading order OCD to kick in enough to wait in it until I know for sure.  ;D

I should probably read "White Out" first. We are fully in the 100+ degree weather phase of the year here and will reach 105-106 by Sunday/Monday.  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:. Since the book is set in the cold and ice. Maybe it will get my mind cooler.

Cripey its hot here. Humid and hot and white sun. I feel like I am in one of those Mad Max movie in the "after" world.

I made the mistake of walking out real quick barefoot and literally burned the bottom of my feet in the drive way. Ouch. Hope folks watch when they walk their dogs.

#11 ·
After re-reading the blurbs and looking at reviews, I went with:

O'Course, I have NO IDEA when I'll get to reading them. :eek: :-\ ;D

I think it's hot all over ... it's hit at least 90F (32C) for the last week or more and no sign of it dropping any time soon. And it's also been very humid which only makes it worse. PLUS .... just to keep it interesting .... there have been some pretty severe thunderstorms as well ... trees knocked down, power outages, etc.

#12 ·
Atunah said:
The other option, Her final words, it looked like it was listed as a series on amazon with that being #4. Or I should say they are calling it a bundle. So not sure what that means. But I could not find a series listed on goodreads and character names where different. But it caused my reading order OCD to kick in enough to wait in it until I know for sure. ;D
You got me worried there for a moment - I picked that one and no way can I start a series on book #4. :eek: :eek:

I checked on Amazon and you're right, it is listed as part of a 'bundle' not a 'series' and as far as I can tell the books are unrelated to each other, just all by the same author.

Taking a second look at the comments to see if anyone mentioned it, I did however see one review I didn't notice before saying that they didn't like how the book constantly moves backward and forward in time - a pet hate of mine. Oh well, at least it was free! :-\

#13 ·
yeah, I don't like the forward and back either in books. I don't like it in TV either. You start a show and then the next 40 minutes its "12 years earlier" and then you get 5 minutes of continuation of the actual show.

In books its even worse for me. Its fine to have some flashbacks, but I read some where half of the book is in present and then half is in the past. Back and forth. Just when I get into it. Throws me right back out.

I just wasn't sure what it means with bundle. Don't think I have seen that before on amazon. Usually its series that is connected on the book page. So I just wasn't sure. And some bits in reviews, including the shifting.

#14 ·
I don't mind as long as it's REALLY OBVIOUS when each section takes place. But I've read books more than once where there was nothing at the beginning of each chapter that told you and you had to figure it out from whatever was happening to whoever was present in the first few paragraphs of each new section. Not cool. Give me a date/year or use a completely different typeface or SOMETHING to make it clear.

#15 ·
I ended up with Cleo McDougal Regrets Nothing and Tomboyland: Essays.

Essays are unusual for First Reads, so I picked the latter for that reason - anything to encourage Amazon to deviate from the usual WWII or shock and torture crap - and it has a travel component, which is always fun.

#16 ·
CS said:
I ended up with Cleo McDougal Regrets Nothing and Tomboyland: Essays.

Essays are unusual for First Reads, so I picked the latter for that reason - anything to encourage Amazon to deviate from the usual WWII or shock and torture crap - and it has a travel component, which is always fun.
i love essays, and was also glad amazon put a book of essays as a first read, but ultimately was disappointed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.