Author Topic: How does automatic book update actually work?  (Read 988 times)  

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
How does automatic book update actually work?
« on: July 04, 2020, 08:25:16 am »
On the 'Preferences' tab on the Manage Your Kindle and Devices page I have 'Automatic Book Updates' set to 'ON'. I had assumed that that meant that updates would download automatically and replace books I had already downloaded with the updated version.

However, when I look on the 'Content' tab I have a lot of books which have a blue 'update available' link underneath the title. What does that mean exactly? Does it mean if I now download it I will get the updated version BUT if it's already on my Kindle I have to manually update it? When you click on the 'update available' link there's no option to choose a device, so if I already have it on more than one Kindle would it update ALL already downloaded copies on every device?

I'm not sure what part of the process is considered to be 'automatic'.  :-\
Linda

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    Re: How does automatic book update actually work?
    « Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 09:08:03 am »
    I can't recall how this turned out but I remember looking into that last year and i think I came up with some kind of answer.  I'm wondering if it updated next time I synced the Kindle.  I don't remember now but that'll be easy enough to check.  At the moment I don't see any updates on books I have on the Kindle at my side so I can't test it myself.

I'm glad to see your picture is wearing a mask.  It makes me feel safer replying. :)

Barry (uh oh!  I forgot my mask)

Barry

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 10:06:07 am »
    On the 'Preferences' tab on the Manage Your Kindle and Devices page I have 'Automatic Book Updates' set to 'ON'. I had assumed that that meant that updates would download automatically and replace books I had already downloaded with the updated version.

However, when I look on the 'Content' tab I have a lot of books which have a blue 'update available' link underneath the title. What does that mean exactly? Does it mean if I now download it I will get the updated version BUT if it's already on my Kindle I have to manually update it? When you click on the 'update available' link there's no option to choose a device, so if I already have it on more than one Kindle would it update ALL already downloaded copies on every device?

I'm not sure what part of the process is considered to be 'automatic'.  :-\

When the feature first was available, I think there was some discussion that the author/publisher had to request that Amazon push updated files to anyone who'd purchased the book previously. In those cases, if the file was on your kindle, it got updated.

I do feel like it's changed. So now, you still have to manually update the file on the manage content page. If you have 'auto' turned on, I think it does then send the updated file to any device where the book currently is loaded. If not, it updates the file in your 'library' but doesn't automatically send it to any devices.

At least, that's what I think ....
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 10:52:03 am »
    If you have 'auto' turned on, I think it does then send the updated file to any device where the book currently is loaded. If not, it updates the file in your 'library' but doesn't automatically send it to any devices.

The thing is, there are books that I downloaded to my Kindle when I bought them, that now have the 'update available' link. If it's sent the update to the copy on my Kindle already, and the new version will automatically download if I send the book to another device, then why the link? Under what circumstances is the link to manually update ever necessary?

And how can I tell if the version on my Kindle has been updated?

I'm glad to see your picture is wearing a mask.  It makes me feel safer replying. :)

Barry (uh oh!  I forgot my mask)

:o :o ;D ;D
    Linda

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 11:28:23 am »
    The thing is, there are books that I downloaded to my Kindle when I bought them, that now have the 'update available' link. If it's sent the update to the copy on my Kindle already, and the new version will automatically download if I send the book to another device, then why the link? Under what circumstances is the link to manually update ever necessary?

And how can I tell if the version on my Kindle has been updated?

So, to clarify, 'cause I don't think I explained it well .... and I might not even be completely accurate, it's just what I think is happening.

Say I have a book on my kindle. I'm browsing my content page and see the 'update available' link.

If I have auto update turned on in my account, when I click that link it will update the book in my library and send a new version to my kindle as well. I have seen this happen where a book I'd maybe already read or at least was well back in my queue is suddenly showing as 'most recent' on the device -- because there'd been an update, I'd clicked to get it, and since it was on the Kindle, a new file was sent.

I think if 'auto update' is NOT turned on, then clicking 'update available' won't send the new file to the kindle.

This is my understanding of how it works currently and has, by my recollection, for several years -- maybe 5 or more? It might have been even more automatic before, when they first introduced it.

I guess it's not ever necessary to update ... but I'm not sure newer versions will be sent unless you click the link. Some people want to keep the one they read and don't want anything new. You also have to watch as sometimes it warns you that updating will cause you to lose notes and highlights.

I think they stopped automatically updating without warning because of complaints from customers. The 'auto' function, when first introduced, was ON by default so if you didn't turn it off, you got updates and maybe lost notes or something. So now this is the method. You manually tell it to update, but it won't send new versions to the kindle (if the book is on the device) unless you have auto turned ON.

If you suddenly see a book you just 'updated' show up as most recent, that's an indication that it did send the new file to your device.
    « Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 11:38:40 am by Ann in Arlington »
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 12:36:05 pm »
    OK, so now I think I understand what you're saying - the original 'automatic' update was stopped because it didn't give people the opportunity to make sure their notes and highlights were saved. Now, if you click on the update it will warn you of that possibility and if you decide to continue it will automatically update the files on any device where it's downloaded.

So I did some testing. I picked a couple of books with updates available that are on on two of my Kindles. I clicked the update link and I could see the file re-downloading to both Kindles and they went to the top of the most recent list. So far so good.

Then I tried closing one of the Kindles and doing the same thing to another book. It downloaded to the open Kindle straight away and then when I opened the other Kindle it downloaded there too. Even better, I don't have to know which Kindles the books are on to get the updates.

Then I looked for another couple of books with an update available and just opened those books on one of the Kindles. There was no message to say an update was available and no file downloaded. Not a problem you'd think - just go to MYC&D and send the update from there. BUT when I went back to the MYC&D page and refreshed it the update links had disappeared not just from the books that had downloaded when I sent the update, but also from the last two books where I had merely opened them on the Kindle.

So, have those two books been updated despite the fact that no visible download occurred? If not, how many other books had a download available that I now can't see on MYC&D because I've opened the book at some point and the download link has disappeared?

I seem to have solved one problem and discovered another!  :o :-\

Linda

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 06:14:02 pm »
    hmmmm. weird.

Let me think on this a bit.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 09:42:01 am »
    Well I just revisited this and it's not getting any better.

This time I had about 10 update links available on MYC&D. All of the books are unread and are downloaded to both my Voyage and PW4 so I opened both those devices to watch what happened. I sent all of the updates but no downloads occurred on either device. The download links have now disappeared. This may or may not be related to the ongoing intermittent problem we've had since the last update where books aren't downloading when purchased on the website - you have to go to the 'cloud' or 'all' on your device and download from there.

It seems to me therefore that the only way to get updates is to remove the downloaded books from the device and then re-download from the cloud when (presumably) you'll get the newest version.
    Linda

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 10:32:27 am »
    It seems to me therefore that the only way to get updates is to remove the downloaded books from the device and then re-download from the cloud when (presumably) you'll get the newest version.

I've never had it work any other way.  It has never overwritten an update to a book already on my device and it didn't send a "new" copy with updates if the previous version was still on the device.

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 09:49:30 am »
    I've never had it work any other way.  It has never overwritten an update to a book already on my device and it didn't send a "new" copy with updates if the previous version was still on the device.

I wasn't sure how it was supposed to work since I had it set to automatic update but no books ever seemed to update. Then I tried doing it manually (see my earlier post above from July) and updates DID download to the device and replace the old versions. Now it doesn't even do that. Also, if I opened the book before I did the update, the update link disappeared.

I honestly can't be bothered to phone Amazon and find out what's going on - I'd no doubt be passed from person to person, all of them giving a different answer. I'll manage by re-downloding.
    Linda

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 10:11:40 am »
    For me .... I periodically, when I've nothing better to do or just am in the mood to waste some time, will go through my Amazon library and click the button on any book that has the update link. But I've pretty much decided I'm not going to worry about it too much.

If I start a book that's been on my device for a while, I might check to see if there's an update, especially if it's a small/independent/self publisher. 'Cause those tend to be the ones, in my experience, that have editing errors on first release but are fixed in an update. If I notice editing errors, I definitely check for an update.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 11:08:10 am »
    For me .... I periodically, when I've nothing better to do or just am in the mood to waste some time, will go through my Amazon library and click the button on any book that has the update link.

So, what happens when you click on the link?

But I've pretty much decided I'm not going to worry about it too much.

I can't say I'm particularly worried about it as such - I hadn't even given it a thought for years - I'd assumed it was all happening in the background! Now that I have looked at it, I'm just curious as to how it's supposed to work, and why it doesn't seem to work consistently. I suppose now it's on my radar my OCD is itching and wants it fixed!  :o  ;D
    Linda

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 01:10:18 pm »
    So, what happens when you click on the link?

Firs there's a warning:

An updated version of this book is available.

The previous version will be replaced with the updated version.

Before clicking update, please be sure the wireless and Whispersync for Books setting (or Annotations Backup settings for older Kindles) are turned on for each of your devices. Doing so will retain any highlights, notes, and furthest page read. You can check and adjust your Annotations Backup settings by navigating to the settings menu on your device. For further help with modifying settings, go to https://www.amazon.com/kindlesupport and check the help pages for the devices or applications you are using.

But sometimes I seem to recall it's slightly changed and says you may LOSE notes and highlights. But I've just done a whole bunch and they've all said the bit I copied and pasted just above.

Then you click the UPDATE button and get a message that an updated file has been sent. That message goes away after a few seconds.

(This is all through manage content and devices on the Amazon webpage.)

O.K. So ... I just did a bunch. Some of the ones I updated were already on My Tardis. Sort order didn't change when looking at "ALL" but when I switched to view "DOWNLOADED" a couple of the books I'd just updated ended up at the top of the 'most recent' sort order.

And .... more are coming as I watch.

So it does seem to take some time to get sent to the devices. I probably did a dozen or more updates just now as I started answering this, so maybe 10-15 minutes ago I started. So far 3 of the 'update' books have shown on My Tardis as most recent. Nope, now it's 4. Most of the more recent ones probably ARE on that device, because it's my default delivery device so I expect I'll see more pop up. And probably, when I go to my Bedtime Reading kindle this evening, some will be there as well. Hermoine's Handbag only has a handful of books on it and none are ones I just updated.

If the updated book is not on any devices, presumably it's still updated in your library so if you go to download it, you get the new file. And if you had notes and highlights, they should still be attached.

I can't say I'm particularly worried about it as such - I hadn't even given it a thought for years - I'd assumed it was all happening in the background! Now that I have looked at it, I'm just curious as to how it's supposed to work, and why it doesn't seem to work consistently. I suppose now it's on my radar my OCD is itching and wants it fixed!  :o  ;D

Yeah, like I said, sometimes I think about it and run through my library. I do wish it provided some information about WHAT was updated. Like, did they add a new forward or something on an older book -- sort of like a new 'printing' or a new edition. Or did they just re-edit? There's not really any way to tell.

My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: September 16, 2020, 05:21:13 am »
    So that's exactly how it worked for me back in July and yes, I've had the occasionally different message about losing notes etc.

But yesterday it definitely didn't work for any of the books I 'updated'. I got as far as the 'update sent' message but that was it. I just checked my books on a 'most recent' sort to see if the updates had arrived after I'd stopped checking, but no, still nothing - not one.  :(

Yes, I agree, it would be nice to know what the changes are - that way you could decide whether it was worthwhile bothering to delete and re-download.

Ah well, as you say, I'll just have to check in occasionally when I have some time to spare and do it the long way.  :D
    Linda

KBoards.com

• Advertisement