Author Topic: Newspaper experience on Oasis?  (Read 494 times)  

Offline Thorvitz

• View Profile
Newspaper experience on Oasis?
« on: July 05, 2020, 06:57:56 pm »
Im a print newspaper junkie. Im new to e-readers and considering an Oasis. Can anyone who subscribes explain how the New York Times or Wall Street Journal looks? Id heard it was more like a websitea list of articles. I am hoping for a print experience where I flip page by page and it looks closer to what I get delivered.

This should be easier to find out but its nowhere online.
Can anyone post an image or explain what it looks like on the Oasis?

Should I wait for a larger screen e-reader? I dont want an IPad or Fire because my wife and kid will use it too ;-)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    Re: Newspaper experience on Oasis?
    « Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 11:21:31 pm »
    Do they not offer a sample issue or 7 day trial or something so you could test it out? I don't see how a full blown newspaper converts to ebook compatible but it very well may. Good luck.
    My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    There's no bad day if you have a good book.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 03:20:21 am »
    Im a print newspaper junkie. Im new to e-readers and considering an Oasis. Can anyone who subscribes explain how the New York Times or Wall Street Journal looks? Id heard it was more like a websitea list of articles. I am hoping for a print experience where I flip page by page and it looks closer to what I get delivered.

This should be easier to find out but its nowhere online.
    Can anyone post an image or explain what it looks like on the Oasis?

Should I wait for a larger screen e-reader? I dont want an IPad or Fire because my wife and kid will use it too ;-)

I subscribe to the Washington Post.

When you open the 'paper' for the day you're on the 'front page'. What you're seeing is the sections of the paper, 4 to a page -- you can page forward and back to get to a particular section You'll see each section shows how many articles are in that section. Tap on a section and it takes you to the first article.

Each article has a headline, some have a picture and caption and then the article. No columnar formatting or anything like that. Where there might be multiple pictures in the print version, the kindle version only has one.

There are no classifieds, no sports box scores, no pages of stock quotes or anything like that. Just the articles. Also no comics.

All that is fine with me as that sort of stuff is easy to find on line if I feel the need.

I actually prefer the kindle edition to the print edition -- much less messy and awkward to read and page through. The only problem is that WaPo doesn't consider it a 'subscription' for purposes of accessing further content on line. So if I see a link somewhere to a WaPo article, I can't read it because I don't have a subscription and I'm not going to pay further for an on line one. I generally end up making a note and, sure enough, it shows up in the kindle edition at some point. :)
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 08:01:27 am »
    I also subscribe to the Washington Post but mine is an online subscription.  I either read it on my laptop or my Ipad.  I prefer the Ipad for this but out of habit I usually read it on my laptop.  I've never tried reading it on my Kindle.  Not for any real reason.  I guess because I just got in the habit of reading it on my laptop or Ipad.  I will say that reading it on either the laptop or Ipad is far nicer than reading a print newspaper.  It's been so long since I've read a print newspaper that I don't remember why but I do remember that when I switched I was delighted at the improvement.

As for accessing links from other sites I have this problem with the New York Times, to which I don't subscribe.  They'll give me a few free articles a month and then I'm out of luck.  But I've found that an easy way around this is to have the Send to Kindle and the Pocket extensions installed on my Chrome browser and either of those will grab the article and send it either to my Kindle or to Pocket.  I have read articles this way on my Kindle and it works out just fine.  Mine is a Paperwhite but the experience should be the same except that the Oasis screen is slightly larger.

Barry

Offline LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 10:43:14 am »
    There are so few reputable newspapers left I gave up on them some time ago. If I could find one that wasn't primarily a propaganda outlet I might like to get it again. My dad subscribed to the print edition and read it every day. The good old days.
    My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    There's no bad day if you have a good book.

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 12:53:30 pm »
    I kind of agree but I don't think it's a lost cause.  All news sources now seem to pick sides but with careful reading and viewing it's not that hard to tell facts from opinion.  Most reputable sources do keep facts straight most of the time even if they do pick and choose which facts to focus.  We just have to work harder to stay informed.

In the first season of Aaron Sorkin's "The Newsroom" Jeff Daniels character talked about the FCC's mistake when they required networks to provide news shows.  He said they should have made them provide news as public service with no ads and that that was what has turned news into the thing it's become.  I think there's a lot to that although I doubt the answer is quite that simple.

Newspapers today have it especially hard with readers turning more and more to TV and the internet and the papers are stuck trying to compete.  It's a bad situation and a scary one.

Barry

KBoards.com

• Advertisement