Author Topic: military thriller cover feedback  (Read 2471 times)  

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
    • View Profile
    • greggbell.net
military thriller cover feedback
« on: July 07, 2020, 11:29:49 am »
This thread originally asked for feedback on a possible cover, but I decided to go in a different direction and have removed it. Thanks to all who chimed in!

« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 11:05:28 am by Gregg Bell »

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong." Oscar Wilde
Gregg Bell | Website | Amazon author page | Blog | Twitter | Google+ | Facebook

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Kathy Dee

• View Profile
    Re: military thriller cover feedback
    « Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 11:56:34 am »
    Any feedback is welcome. Thanks.

I think the background could be better if it were an actual photo of the sea, rather than a solid blue background.

Also don't think the yellow is the right shade.

Offline MorrowWriter

• United Kingdom
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 12:39:53 pm »
    The yellow text on blue works well. The fonts are functional but do the job. I think the cover would look very cool if the coastguard chopper appeared to be hovering over the page (plan view), and spraying the water outwards. I don't know how easy it is to get that kind of stock image though.

Francis Morrow

Offline jm2019

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 01:47:54 pm »
    Gregg, it doesn't give a "military thriller" vibe to me. It feels like a more lighter rescue story (unless that's what you're going for). Feels like the cover could be more grittier/ominous or something...

Offline EmberKent

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
      • Ember Editing
    « Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 01:59:01 pm »
    With the reference to the Everglades, I think you could easily make the cover more serious with some added green. Some kind of combination between camouflage and lush tropics, maybe.

If you do add green, though, I'm not sure the yellow will work.

Offline Blocked Writer

• re-starting a new adventure...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 02:29:15 pm »
    I know youve written some comedic Navy books. If this is mean to be in that vein, I dont get it from the cover. At the same time, if its truly meant to be a thriller, then I dont get that either. My dad was a Navy pilot, and I grew up around the Navy, so Id say the gold on blue colors work. But the helicopter doesnt look Seal to me. Maybe try a Blackhawk.

Online SirenaW

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 02:55:36 pm »
    What EmberKent said.

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    « Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 04:09:56 pm »
    I think the background could be better if it were an actual photo of the sea, rather than a solid blue background.

Also don't think the yellow is the right shade.

Thanks Kathy

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    « Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 04:11:36 pm »
    The yellow text on blue works well. The fonts are functional but do the job. I think the cover would look very cool if the coastguard chopper appeared to be hovering over the page (plan view), and spraying the water outwards. I don't know how easy it is to get that kind of stock image though.

Thanks Francis. Your suggestion would be very cool. I had difficulty finding illustrations in general, though. (I felt fortunate to find this one.)

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    « Reply #9 on: July 07, 2020, 04:13:54 pm »
    Gregg, it doesn't give a "military thriller" vibe to me. It feels like a more lighter rescue story (unless that's what you're going for). Feels like the cover could be more grittier/ominous or something...

Thanks jm. I'm really glad to get your feedback because a lighter rescue story is what I'm going for. I would never be able to match the authenticity or grit of the real Navy SEAL stories, so yeah, mine is a hybrid.

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    « Reply #10 on: July 07, 2020, 04:16:28 pm »
    With the reference to the Everglades, I think you could easily make the cover more serious with some added green. Some kind of combination between camouflage and lush tropics, maybe.

If you do add green, though, I'm not sure the yellow will work.

Thanks Ember. Yeah, I think the green would throw everything off. Plus it seems a lot of Navy SEAL stuff has that navy and gold combo. I know having a cover about the Everglades without green is kind of crazy. I'll have to rely on the title for that.

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    « Reply #11 on: July 07, 2020, 04:21:06 pm »
    I know youve written some comedic Navy books. If this is mean to be in that vein, I dont get it from the cover. At the same time, if its truly meant to be a thriller, then I dont get that either. My dad was a Navy pilot, and I grew up around the Navy, so Id say the gold on blue colors work. But the helicopter doesnt look Seal to me. Maybe try a Blackhawk.
    Thanks Writer. I'm glad for you feedback. I think the way you're perceiving the book is the way it is. Except it is a thriller but not a high octane end of the world kind of thriller. And there is humor but it's more realistic humor, as are the descriptions. I hear you about the helicopter but the Coast Guard one gives me a splash of color whereas the Blackhawk is pretty drab.

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    « Reply #12 on: July 07, 2020, 04:21:48 pm »
    What EmberKent said.

Thanks SirenaW

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
      • Golden Elm Publishing
    « Reply #13 on: July 07, 2020, 05:05:42 pm »
    I really like the cover. I think it does a good job of conveying a lighter thriller vibe and definitely says this isn't what you wrote before.

Offline Trioxin 245

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: July 08, 2020, 12:46:58 am »
    Honest Opinion. Does not scream thriller at all. At a quick glance it reminds me of a memoir type recollection book more than anything else.
     Title also seems forced. Why not just, Everglades Rescue, Navy Seal Adventure 1?

« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 12:49:20 am by Trioxin 245 »

Offline RBC

• View Profile
      • RockingBookCovers.com
    « Reply #15 on: July 08, 2020, 09:14:55 am »
    It does not look like Military thriller, more of an adventure book. Could even be considered Non-fiction/memoir since design is very simple and has no background visual behind the helicopter to add more context.

Good things:
    It does seem to say what the story is about (if main thing is helicopter rescue)
    Font is good for thriller
    Text is laid out well too
    Blue and yellow works together well

Bad things:
    I don't get what that white stuff around helicopter is, blending seems a bit off and could use work ( you know what it is, but people outside don't so we might not be able to assume same thing that you want us to see)
    It doesn't look military (if helicopter was in military colors that would change)
    Background too empty, using a texture and adding that would allow you to communicate military angle well too, plus it would be less boring and empty
    Simple is good, but this needs a bit more to be not too-simple

In general, you're moving into the right direction. By far not the worst DIY cover at all and with some more work it can be spot on!

Offline Gessert Books

• Madison, WI
    • Book Layout and Formatting by Phillip Gessert
      • View Profile
      • Gessert Books: Book Layout and Formatting
    « Reply #16 on: July 08, 2020, 10:27:30 am »
    Mixing centered and left-aligned text (a novel) often looks sort of jumbled.

Offline thegreenheron

• View Profile
      • Author Website
    « Reply #17 on: July 08, 2020, 10:43:07 am »
    I don't think it's a bad cover. But while the blue and gold color scheme definitely says US Navy, the paint scheme and the style of the helicopter made me think of the US Coast Guard (I live near a Coast Guard station, and they use a similar orange/white scheme on their Jayhawk helicopter). I think the SEALS would typically use much more "combat-looking" helicopters like the Blackhawk or Chinook in their operations. A black, green, or khacki-colored helicopter would probably give off more of a SEAL vibe.

Otherwise, I would say it looks more like an adventure story than a thriller. I would expect a thriller to look darker and edgier.
    « Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 10:45:09 am by thegreenheron »
    The little green heron is a secretive and intelligent predator, and one of the only birds to use tools.

Offline Decon

• View Profile
      • Declan Conner, Blog
    « Reply #18 on: July 08, 2020, 10:53:28 am »
    I like the layout, font and coloring, but not the image.

The chopper looks more like a news or pleasure helicopter.

Needs a military chopper and better blended image in the background.

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
    Declan Conner | blog

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    « Reply #19 on: July 08, 2020, 11:33:58 am »
    I really like the cover. I think it does a good job of conveying a lighter thriller vibe and definitely says this isn't what you wrote before.

Thanks C. Gold

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    « Reply #20 on: July 08, 2020, 11:37:34 am »
    Honest Opinion. Does not scream thriller at all. At a quick glance it reminds me of a memoir type recollection book more than anything else.
     Title also seems forced. Why not just, Everglades Rescue, Navy Seal Adventure 1?

Thanks Trioxin. I thought about a shorter title. I know the series name and title are a bit redundant. I'll think about it. Appreciate the feedback.

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    « Reply #21 on: July 08, 2020, 11:42:11 am »
    It does not look like Military thriller, more of an adventure book. Could even be considered Non-fiction/memoir since design is very simple and has no background visual behind the helicopter to add more context.

Good things:
    It does seem to say what the story is about (if main thing is helicopter rescue)
    Font is good for thriller
    Text is laid out well too
    Blue and yellow works together well

Bad things:
    I don't get what that white stuff around helicopter is, blending seems a bit off and could use work ( you know what it is, but people outside don't so we might not be able to assume same thing that you want us to see)
    It doesn't look military (if helicopter was in military colors that would change)
    Background too empty, using a texture and adding that would allow you to communicate military angle well too, plus it would be less boring and empty
    Simple is good, but this needs a bit more to be not too-simple

In general, you're moving into the right direction. By far not the worst DIY cover at all and with some more work it can be spot on!

Thanks RBC for the suggestions. I don't know what the white stuff around the helicopter is either. I'm thinking whatever it is, it gives a sense of dynamism. And the story does have a Coast Guard helicopter in it and many of those are orange and white. I was hesitant to add texture because there's already so much happening on the cover but I will experiment with it.

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    « Reply #22 on: July 08, 2020, 11:43:09 am »
    Mixing centered and left-aligned text (a novel) often looks sort of jumbled.

Thanks Phillip. Suggestions for better placement of "A NOVEL"?

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    « Reply #23 on: July 08, 2020, 11:44:46 am »
    I don't think it's a bad cover. But while the blue and gold color scheme definitely says US Navy, the paint scheme and the style of the helicopter made me think of the US Coast Guard (I live near a Coast Guard station, and they use a similar orange/white scheme on their Jayhawk helicopter). I think the SEALS would typically use much more "combat-looking" helicopters like the Blackhawk or Chinook in their operations. A black, green, or khacki-colored helicopter would probably give off more of a SEAL vibe.

Otherwise, I would say it looks more like an adventure story than a thriller. I would expect a thriller to look darker and edgier.

Thanks greenheron. It really is a hybrid thriller/adventure story, and there is an orange and white Coast Guard chopper in the story, so I think I might be okay.

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    « Reply #24 on: July 08, 2020, 12:01:29 pm »
    I like the layout, font and coloring, but not the image.

The chopper looks more like a news or pleasure helicopter.

Needs a military chopper and better blended image in the background.

Hi Declan. Thanks but the story has a Coast Guard chopper in it, and they're orange and white, and I also like the splash of color the orange brings. Most of those Blackhawk choppers are pretty drab.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement