Author Topic: Scamming the system?  (Read 2378 times)  

Offline isaacsweeney

• Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Write Already
Scamming the system?
« on: July 11, 2020, 04:23:51 pm »
If I gift a bunch of ebooks to people, does it affect my sales rank? Has anyone tried this?

Edited. Drop me a PM if you have any questions. - Becca
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 07:22:42 pm by Becca Mills »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Carol Davis

• New York
      • View Profile
      • Carol Davis Author
    Re: Scamming the system?
    « Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 04:28:37 pm »
    You want to poke the bear, is that what you're saying?

(Yes, it does bump your rank. But you might want to limit gifting copies to people who'll actually enjoy them and might leave you a review.)

Online Clay

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 06:47:33 pm »
    I thought it was obvious what he was doing in that last thread. The mods need to step in. All of these threads are just an attempt by him to promote his 48 page "book." I noticed the ranking is back to over a million even though it's in KU.

Offline isaacsweeney

• Virginia
      • View Profile
      • Write Already
    « Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 07:09:03 pm »
    I don't think I'm trolling. I just think it's kind of funny to see you guys get worked up. Maybe that is trolling. I didn't know about the sales rank thing, and I added the piece on the end just to get attention. The [jerk] in me sometimes comes out in the kboards.

Edited for profanity. Drop me a PM if you have any questions. - Becca
    « Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 01:18:03 pm by Becca Mills »

Offline kathrynoh

• Melbourne, Australia
      • View Profile
      • Kathryn O'Halloran
    « Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 08:52:18 pm »
    You do realise that even if you gift your book to someone, they don't have to actually use that gift on your book? It's basically giving them Amazon credit with strong suggestion but they are free to use that money on anything they want.

Online jb1111

• PNW US
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 11:10:57 pm »
    Why not just produce more books instead? Build your library, release a little more often, see what flies?

Offline unkownwriter

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 05:20:45 am »
    I don't think I'm trolling. I just think it's kind of funny to see you guys get worked up. Maybe that is trolling. I didn't know about the sales rank thing, and I added the piece on the end just to get attention. The [jerk] in me sometimes comes out in the kboards.

I think you know full well what you're doing, especially since you are being rather disrespectful of people have tried to help you on the journey to book sales. Most of us take time from our own work to bring fellow self publishers into the fold of selling writers, and we don't have to do it. We could leave you with the folks who don't know any more than you do, after all.

Understand that continuing to abuse the forums can result in account termination. The mods seem to be overwhelmed (I think it's only Becca now) but if enough people start to report you, don't be surprised if you get a warning at best, followed in severity by a cattle prod and then a slam on the forum doors.
    « Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 01:18:36 pm by Becca Mills »

Offline isaacsweeney

• Virginia
      • View Profile
      • Write Already
    « Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 09:14:07 am »
    In what way am I inappropriately using the forum?

Offline RBC

• View Profile
      • RockingBookCovers.com
    « Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 10:07:29 am »
    ... and I added the piece on the end just to get attention. The [jerk] in me sometimes comes out in the kboards.

Does that not show you how you could annoy some members in forum? Might not be intentional but you gotta get some self-awareness... go back an reread your threads/answer as time goes. Might be surprised...

Just ask a question and stop seeking attention. This isn't a competition on a reality show to win some stupid prize.
    « Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 01:19:12 pm by Becca Mills »

Offline Becca Mills

• Global Moderator
    • California
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 07:24:35 pm »
    Checking in here by chance ...

FYI, newer members may not know that accusations of trolling are not permitted here. Members are assumed to be posting in good faith. In fact, we don't even allow the word, which is why you'll sometimes see older members use euphemisms like "the t-word."

If you feel a particular post or thread is self-promotional or there just to stir up an argument, the right move is not to react in the thread but instead to use the "report to moderators" link, explaining your concerns in the box provided.

If the mods agree that the post or thread is problematic, you can be assured we will act on it. Probably rather harshly, since yeah, "the mods" is mostly just me, these days, and I don't have time to nursemaid members who do a lot of boundary-pushing.

isaacsweeney is asking an actual question here, so the thread is fine. That said, I have removed the title of his book and some other details from the OP, as they're not necessary to his question.

Welcome! :)
    Read about using the Writers' Cafe here. Our larger "forum decorum" is here. The site's overall terms of use are here. Please be aware of this material.
    Troubleshooting: If you're having difficulties with advertising on KBoards, the contact email is [email protected] You can also use our PM system to contact the site's owners via the vsAdmin account. The Link-Maker and Author Signature Tool long longer function. There's a manual version of the former here and a workaround for the latter here.

Offline isaacsweeney

• Virginia
      • View Profile
      • Write Already
    « Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 09:29:25 pm »
    Checking in here by chance ...

FYI, newer members may not know that accusations of trolling are not permitted here. Members are assumed to be posting in good faith. In fact, we don't even allow the word, which is why you'll sometimes see older members use euphemisms like "the t-word."

If you feel a particular post or thread is self-promotional or there just to stir up an argument, the right move is not to react in the thread but instead to use the "report to moderators" link, explaining your concerns in the box provided.

If the mods agree that the post or thread is problematic, you can be assured we will act on it. Probably rather harshly, since yeah, "the mods" is mostly just me, these days, and I don't have time to nursemaid members who do a lot of boundary-pushing.

isaacsweeney is asking an actual question here, so the thread is fine. That said, I have removed the title of his book and some other details from the OP, as they're not necessary to his question.

Seems fair. Thanks.

Offline Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 08:14:47 am »
    It does affect your sales rank, yes. Not by much though, and it costs you more than you earn, obviously.

Offline Becca Mills

• Global Moderator
    • California
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: July 14, 2020, 09:41:02 pm »
    A handful of posts have been removed.

Read about using the Writers' Cafe here. Our larger "forum decorum" is here. The site's overall terms of use are here. Please be aware of this material.
    Troubleshooting: If you're having difficulties with advertising on KBoards, the contact email is [email protected] You can also use our PM system to contact the site's owners via the vsAdmin account. The Link-Maker and Author Signature Tool long longer function. There's a manual version of the former here and a workaround for the latter here.

Offline jable

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: July 15, 2020, 08:15:17 am »
    If you buy 10 copies as gift codes rank doesn't go up.

If 10 people accept said gift codes within 24 hours rank will go up.

IIRC they won't be able to review as it's a sale directly linked to an author.

They can refund their gift code for amazon credit.

If they're a new account your rank won't go up even if they accept within 24 hours.

Offline isaacsweeney

• Virginia
      • View Profile
      • Write Already
    « Reply #14 on: July 15, 2020, 03:50:57 pm »
    If I gift to my other email address, then accept from that email address, that will bump the rank? Just curious. I mean $30 for an ad or $30 to jump rank and get exposure?

Online ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #15 on: July 15, 2020, 04:47:16 pm »
    If I gift to my other email address, then accept from that email address, that will bump the rank? Just curious. I mean $30 for an ad or $30 to jump rank and get exposure?
    Thats called rank manipulation and its against the TOS, and you can get in trouble for it.

Online J. Tanner

• California
      • View Profile
      • J. Tanner vs. the Page
    « Reply #16 on: July 15, 2020, 06:44:47 pm »

You have to actually buy the book. There's no point in gifting to yourself. Just buy your book, and you can only do it once, so I'm not sure how you plan to spend $30 in your example.

Amazon figured out all the significant gifting scams years ago.

"jumping rank" is not "exposure". It has no value unless it's tied to actual sales. It's a byproduct, not a goal. No reader cares if the book is 5K in the ranks vs 1M, and isn't any more likely to see your book if you managed to find some way to manipulate your book up to that rank without Amazon catching you.
    J. Tanner vs. the Page (blog)

Collection        | Appearing in                          | Stories                                        (KU)          (KU)        | Action/Adventure Series

Offline Becca Mills

• Global Moderator
    • California
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: July 17, 2020, 02:47:53 pm »
    Locking this, as it continues to be a nasty-magnet, and the question seems to have been answered. Another handful of posts have been deleted.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement