Author Topic: Facebook ads tutorial?  (Read 334 times)  

Offline William Collins.

• England
    • View Profile
Facebook ads tutorial?
« on: July 14, 2020, 08:40:20 am »
Hi everyone,

I've been an indie author for a while now, but never actually tried ads through facebook. I've been looking into it and started my own book page, but I can't seem to find a good tutorial catered for ads specifically for books.

Does anyone know of any good links that'll help, or have any tips on FB ads themselves?

Thanks in advance.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline jm2019

• View Profile
    Re: Facebook ads tutorial?
    « Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 10:20:25 am »
    Hi William,

I do all my ads through FB. I didn't watch any specific tutorials - but there were many articles on the web to give me an idea, and then I tinkered with it.

Here's what worked for me:

- targeting is key - choose your audience without going very wide

- the image is extremely important. I don't do videos - I put a pic of my book on a nice background, but it looks colorful. The image needs to pop. My biggest and unquestionable jump in engagement came when I changed the cover of my book.

- short blurb - my ads don't actually have a blurb for the book, but instead say nice things about the type of the series (journey to the past with these exciting page turners and so on)

- my FB ads take the person who clicks to my website, and all sales Links are from my site. I saw no improvement when I switched to linking Amazon directly - in fact I may have lost sales by doing so. My site helps the visitor understand the series better before they make a buying choice.

- be patient, let your ads run for a few days for the Facebook algorithms to figure out what works

- use a Facebook pixel if you can, helps with retargeting

- I use bid caps for my bidding strategy so that I don't spend more than $0.xx per bid and blow my costs

I've tried many variants of my ads and I currently have one that's fixed, long-running, with a nicely building up social engagement. I'll leave it as it is while playing with others.

FB has worked best for me, and it's been profitable per day for months now. On the contrary, I utterly failed on AMS (though I haven't paid much attention to it)
    and gave up quickly.

Good luck!

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
    • If you want real love, buy a dog.
      • View Profile
      • Margaret Brazear Author
    « Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 10:41:37 am »
    Hi everyone,

I've been an indie author for a while now, but never actually tried ads through facebook. I've been looking into it and started my own book page, but I can't seem to find a good tutorial catered for ads specifically for books.

Does anyone know of any good links that'll help, or have any tips on FB ads themselves?

Thanks in advance.
    Mark Dawson's Ads for Authors is the absolute best. Not cheap, but is updated regularly and once in, you're in no matter how many more platforms and how many changes are made.

You've just missed the enrolment and the next one will probably be November, but certainly worth doing. It has Facebook, AMS, Bookbub, Instagram and anything else that comes along.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
    Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Newsletter

Offline Writer's Block

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 04:26:56 pm »
    Long time Facebook ads user here. I would agree with everything jm2019 says above.

I did Mark Dawsons course, good but expensive.

However, I would highly recommend Mal Cooper's Help My Facebook Ads Suck. Excellent, and it's free.

Here you go. https://dl.bookfunnel.com/lq1jba2j2z

Offline William Collins.

• England
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 04:48:20 pm »
    jm, thank you so much for your suggestions, that's really helpful.

Doglover, thank you I'll definitely look into that.

Thanks Writer's Block, that link looks great.

Offline jm2019

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 06:00:54 pm »
    @Wiliam. You're welcome!

@Writer's Block - thanks for link! Hopefully I'll learn some new tricks and drive down my costs some more or find new audiences...

KBoards.com

• Advertisement