Author Topic: Oasis 3 time  (Read 1627 times)  

Offline amyberta

• View Profile
Oasis 3 time
« on: July 14, 2020, 07:36:04 pm »
Is there a way to set my oasis 3 to eastern standard time. If I set it to automatic it goes to the wrong time.
Thanks

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    Re: Oasis 3 time
    « Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 04:01:21 am »
    Neither my O2 or PW (latest model) have a setting for 'automatic' and I don't remember if they change on their own or if I have to do it. I feel like I have to do it, so I guess I'm not much help.

BUT

Maybe the problem is that we are currently in Daylight Time and not Standard time?

Unless I've completely misunderstood the question -- it's still quite early, so that's a definite possibility. :)

(The page to adjust the time is under settings, device options, device time -- but you probably already know that.)
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline amyberta

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 07:11:14 am »
    Neither my O2 or PW (latest model) have a setting for 'automatic' and I don't remember if they change on their own or if I have to do it. I feel like I have to do it, so I guess I'm not much help.

BUT

Maybe the problem is that we are currently in Daylight Time and not Standard time?

Unless I've completely misunderstood the question -- it's still quite early, so that's a definite possibility. :)

(The page to adjust the time is under settings, device options, device time -- but you probably already know that.)
    Thanks for answering, when I put the clock for automatic it will be fine for a couple of hours
    and it goes back to four hours ahead so I have to change it manually. Ive never had that happen before. This is a kindle that was replaced from my other oasis 3.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 09:53:13 am »
    Thanks for answering, when I put the clock for automatic it will be fine for a couple of hours
    and it goes back to four hours ahead so I have to change it manually. Ive never had that happen before. This is a kindle that was replaced from my other oasis 3.

Hmmm .... that is weird.

I wonder if the problem could be external .... like an issue with your wifi router that it doesn't know where it is or something. I assume your other computers/tablets keep time o.k.?

Sorry I can't be more help.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 11:00:00 am »
    My O3 has no option for time other than to manually set the time in the Kindle via the method mentioned above. There is no option for automatic in my Oasis, nor for time zones or any other option. Just hour, minute and AM/PM.
    My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    There's no bad day if you have a good book.

Offline amyberta

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 02:10:01 pm »

Hmmm .... that is weird.

I wonder if the problem could be external .... like an issue with your wifi router that it doesn't know where it is or something. I assume your other computers/tablets keep time o.k.?

Sorry I can't be more help.
    My computer does have the right time. I guess Ill just have to keep it to manually set the time.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 03:36:05 pm »
    My computer does have the right time. I guess Ill just have to keep it to manually set the time.

Out of curiosity, where is the setting to put it on automatic?
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 04:54:32 pm »
    If I remember correctly Wifi Kindles don't adjust for daylight savings and 3G or 4G Kindles do.  I have both but neither are at hand at the moment.  Do you have a 3G Kindle or a Wifi Kindle?

Barry

Offline LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 06:39:14 pm »
    I didn't think of that. Mine is wifi.

Offline amyberta

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 08:38:01 pm »
    If I remember correctly Wifi Kindles don't adjust for daylight savings and 3G or 4G Kindles do.  I have both but neither are at hand at the moment.  Do you have a 3G Kindle or a Wifi Kindle?

Barry
    I have WiFi and 3g

Offline amyberta

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 08:42:32 pm »
    Out of curiosity, where is the setting to put it on automatic?
    I go to settings , device options and then device time. I then have the choice to set it automatically or not.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 03:32:39 am »
    I go to settings , device options and then device time. I then have the choice to set it automatically or not.

I have no such setting on my Oasis (not current model but the one before). BUT, I also only have WiFi, no 3G/4G. I'm guessing that's the difference.

So .... seems to me the easy solution is just change the time twice a year and leave automatic OFF.  OR contact Amazon and see if they have an explanation.

Sorry to not be more help. :(
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 09:53:01 am »

Barry

Well that explains my confusion - I can't ever remember having to change the time manually, even on the ones that don't have an 'automatic' option. (My Voyage and my Kindle Touch do have that option). Almost all the Kindles I've ever had have had 3g as well as wi-fi.

I just charged up my old K3 which has 3g but no 'automatic' option and it's showing the correct time even though I definitely didn't manually set it to summer time back in March.
    Linda

Offline amyberta

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: July 16, 2020, 11:19:20 am »
    Ill have to wait and see if mine changes the time automatically or not. If not its not Ill just change it manually.😀

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: July 16, 2020, 06:29:18 pm »
    I'm home now and I checked mine.  I have a Paperwhite 3 with 3G and one with Wifi.  I have a Paperwhite 4 with 4G and one with Wifi.  Amazon calls that one a Paperwhite 10 but it just ain't so. :)

Neither Wifi version has the Set Automatically feature.  The 3G and the 4G version do.

By the way, all 3G or 4G Kindles also have Wifi.  The convention is to refer to them as simply 3G or 4G to avoid confusion.

I haven't set the time on my Wifi Paperwhites for a very long time.  Probably not since the last time I did a reset on them and maybe not then.  I just don't remember.  But the time on each of them was correct so I'm assuming they keep theyselves set somehow.  Electronic clocks are pretty accurate but not THAT accurate.  I did notice that I had Airplane mode set on the 3G Paperwhite 3 Wifi version, but not on the Paperwhite 4 with Wifi.  Even with Airplane mode set it was right to the minute.  That means the clock is perfect, a true miracle, or that even in Airplane mode the thing syncs itself now and then.  I suspect the latter, not being a believer in Kindle miracles. :)

All of these were accurate to the minute so if what I remember is still true, that they don't change for Daylight Savings time then I probably last set them during daylight savings time, which could be true.  I just don't recall.

I did find Set Automatically on both the 3G and 4G Paperwhite.

I just did a bit of googling and found a lot of comments from early this year where people with 4G Paperwhite 4's (10's) are saying that if they have it set to Set Automatically it'll find the wrong time zone even if it starts out in the right time zone.  Some say this happens in a few hours. Others say it happens in a few days.  Others don't have this problem.  I don't have this problem, or at least not so far.  My guess is that it depends on the firmware update.  I have and older firmware on my 4G Paperwhite since I'm currently reading on my phone.  I'll update it this weekend and see what happens.

Anyway other users replying to them who have also had this problem say that it's easier to leave Set Automatically turned off, and that it stays reasonably accurate, only losing a minute or two every few days, but getting corrected when you sync it.  It's normal for computer timers to be off by that much.  None of them are accurate or ever have been.  Your computer and your phone correct themselves at least once a day via the internet.  If you don't have an internet connection on your computer you'll see it get off by a little every day.  If you are connected they're very accurate, setting themselves using a remote atomic clock.

Barry

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: July 17, 2020, 06:35:31 am »
    It took me a while to find my Oasis since I've been reading on my Voyage lately.  I have the cellular version and i have the set time automatically option.  I seem to recall back when I first got it that I had a problem with the automatic time.  I think it was only off an hour, not three or four hours.  But a later update fixed it.  I must have gotten tired of setting the time for the time change and put it back to automatic and it worked correctly.  There was no place I could find that mentioned where to set a time zone.  It's either set manually or automatic.
    But yeah - if the automatic is not working, just set it manually and it should mostly be right.

To Barry's point - they have our work computers set so they only check for time against our domain controllers.  Since I've been working from home, I only connect to VPN when it's absolutely necessary.  Most of our systems are hosted by Microsoft now and we don't have to be inside to get to them.  They had to scale our VPN up very quickly back in March and it's still a little flaky when it gets overloaded.  But the clock on my laptop gets off by a few minutes each week until I connect to VPN and let it update. 

Offline LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: July 17, 2020, 07:04:46 am »
    I'm a watch wearer so I don't really care if my Kindle has the correct time or not or any time for that matter. Even so, is there some reason I haven't thought of as to why the Kindle needs to know the correct time or is it just for convenience for those who don't wear a watch?

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: July 17, 2020, 07:27:28 am »
    When I was reading on my Kindle I always had it show the time left in in the current chapter.  I'm not sure that's affected by the accuracy of the time setting.  My guess is that it isn't, but to be sure I'd always make sure the time was set correctly.

By the way, one of the advantages of reading on my phone now with Moon+ reader is the way it tells me how far I have to go in the chapter.  Instead of giving me time (it will do that if I ask it to) it tells me how many screens of data are in the chapter and how many I've already read.  Now those numbers will change if I change the font or the font size or the line spacing or any of a number of settings I might change.  But I rarely change any of those so those numbers are pretty stable.

I think that's what the e-ink readers try to avoid.  They want pages that are related to print books partly so they can be compared but probably more so they'll remain stable when settings change.  The problem is that "real" page numbers aren't real page numbers in this context.  And locations, the Kindle alternative, have nothing to do with the reading experience.  The number of screens in the chapter and the number I've read gives me an instant, intuitive and accurate sense of where I am.  This is the sensible way of providing this feature.

Barry

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: July 17, 2020, 08:31:13 am »
    I'm a watch wearer so I don't really care if my Kindle has the correct time or not or any time for that matter. Even so, is there some reason I haven't thought of as to why the Kindle needs to know the correct time or is it just for convenience for those who don't wear a watch?

I don't know if it is still true, but previously having the "wrong" time set, even if you hid the time on your book screens, would cause newly downloaded books to go to the end of your lists even when sorted by recent.  Quite a few people thought they weren't receiving new downloads because they weren't showing up at the top of their home page lists.  Correcting the time corrected the problem.

Don't ask me why Kindles did that, I just know they did!

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: July 17, 2020, 09:26:10 am »
    The time can affect the sort order if you tend to sort by Recent Items. 

Offline HLS

• MO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: August 28, 2020, 05:17:50 pm »
    settings---> device options--->  device time

KBoards.com

• Advertisement