Author Topic: Portable charger  (Read 489 times)  

Offline amyberta

• View Profile
Portable charger
« on: July 16, 2020, 07:44:04 pm »
Is there a potable charger for the oasis 3 kindle?
Thanks

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    Re: Portable charger
    « Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 03:43:05 am »
    I'm not sure I understand the question. I guess I'd consider pretty much any charger that works with it to be portable. It's just the plug and the proper USB wire. I know when I travel I take several with me. At least 3 plugs and a selection of wires to charge my phone, tablet, kindle, etc.

I do also have a couple of battery pack type chargers, for if I need to charge something and there's no electrical receptacle. One is 'solar powered' so it will theoretically recharge itself in the sun. You can also recharge it the usual way. Either one can then be used to recharge a phone or something.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline amyberta

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 06:17:22 am »
    I'm not sure I understand the question. I guess I'd consider pretty much any charger that works with it to be portable. It's just the plug and the proper USB wire. I know when I travel I take several with me. At least 3 plugs and a selection of wires to charge my phone, tablet, kindle, etc.

I do also have a couple of battery pack type chargers, for if I need to charge something and there's no electrical receptacle. One is 'solar powered' so it will theoretically recharge itself in the sun. You can also recharge it the usual way. Either one can then be used to recharge a phone or
    Thanks, I also have portable chargers, I just tried the solar one and it works.  We live in South Fl and if we have a hurricane and lose power I want to be able to charge my kindles with it.
    « Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 11:34:22 am by Ann in Arlington »

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 11:36:53 am »
    Thanks, I also have portable chargers, I just tried the solar one and it works.  We live in South Fl and if we have a hurricane and lose power I want to be able to charge my kindles with it.

Ah! So what you want is an auxiliary battery pack. There are a lot out there. Some are fairly large, but will be able to charge a lot of different things and not go flat. The solar one is nice, but in my experience the solar charging is pretty slow. The truly 'portable' ones are still somewhat heavy but you can get ones that are fairly efficient at storing and charging. With any of them, they'll slowly drain as they aren't used so if you are expecting weather be sure to charge them up too!
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline amyberta

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 01:07:01 pm »
    Ah! So what you want is an auxiliary battery pack. There are a lot out there. Some are fairly large, but will be able to charge a lot of different things and not go flat. The solar one is nice, but in my experience the solar charging is pretty slow. The truly 'portable' ones are still somewhat heavy but you can get ones that are fairly efficient at storing and charging. With any of them, they'll slowly drain as they aren't used so if you are expecting weather be sure to charge them up too!

I have a few of them but except for the solar one I dont think they work with the kindle. Ill have to check again. Hopefully we wont have a hurricane and I wont have to worry.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 03:33:53 am »
    I have a few of them but except for the solar one I dont think they work with the kindle. Ill have to check again. Hopefully we wont have a hurricane and I wont have to worry.

Hmmm. I'd think as long as you can connect a wire with the right plug for kindle -- micro USB -- I wouldn't think there'd be a problem. I'm pretty interchangeable with all my plugs/wires and only occasionally, with my laptop, do I get a pop up that says it's charging slowly. Well, if I'm leaving it overnight that's not a problem. Never had a situation where the kindle wouldn't charge. I guess I can't think why a battery pack would be different, but it's definitely a good idea to find that out NOW rather than when you go to use the thing and it doesn't work! :o
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline amyberta

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 12:47:00 pm »
    Hmmm. I'd think as long as you can connect a wire with the right plug for kindle -- micro USB -- I wouldn't think there'd be a problem. I'm pretty interchangeable with all my plugs/wires and only occasionally, with my laptop, do I get a pop up that says it's charging slowly. Well, if I'm leaving it overnight that's not a problem. Never had a situation where the kindle wouldn't charge. I guess I can't think why a battery pack would be different, but it's definitely a good idea to find that out NOW rather than when you go to use the thing and it doesn't work! :o
    Im going to bring everything over to my daughters house to see if my son-in-law can figure it out.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 12:51:20 pm »
    I have not had much luck getting any of my Kindles to charge from my Anker battery packs.  I don't know why and I don't need it often enough to spend more time on it.  But I know I've tried with my Voyage, Oasis 1 and Oasis 2.
    FWIW I can't charge my FitBit from them either.

Offline amyberta

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 02:47:28 pm »
    I have not had much luck getting any of my Kindles to charge from my Anker battery packs.  I don't know why and I don't need it often enough to spend more time on it.  But I know I've tried with my Voyage, Oasis 1 and Oasis 2.
    FWIW I can't charge my FitBit from them either.

My son-in-law ordered a pack of 3 chargers for my kindle for me. I tried his and it worked.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement