Author Topic: Podium Audio  (Read 845 times)  

Offline MaxDaemon

• View Profile
    • Electrik Ink
Podium Audio
« on: July 17, 2020, 03:29:17 pm »
Just got an email out of the blue that Podium Audio wants to talk about producing my book in audio.

Anyone here worked with them? Any idea what they do? I mean, is this one of those things where they'd be happy to produce my book as long as I'm happy to pay them a LOT of money?

Or is this like "We'd love to have the audio rights to your book and we'll pay all the expenses to make it so". I assume this part is me dreaming...

V.R. Tapscott | Electrik Ink

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Clay

• View Profile
    Re: Podium Audio
    « Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 03:55:13 pm »
    Podium is legitimate.

Or is this like "We'd love to have the audio rights to your book and we'll pay all the expenses to make it so". I assume this part is me dreaming...

That is exactly what they do.

Offline DmGuay

• OH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 07:56:27 pm »
    Podium is the real deal. They're essentially like a trad publishing house specializing only in audio. They license the audio rights to your book. (for 7 years.) They pay for production and marketing, and you receive royalties.

And word in the author community is it's an honor to have them seek YOU out instead of the other way around.

Caveat, I signed an 11-book audio deal with them for the 24/7 Demon Mart series back in April. The first 2 books were recorded in June and the audio will go live in August. They are apparently looking to expand their comedy/ humor offerings, particularly in horror/fantasy/sci fi, which is what they specialize in.

So far, they have been easy to work with. They handle all costs of production and promotion, and they snagged a narrator that I am absolutely over the moon about. (he's a legit actor who is the voice of many of my fav. anime and cartoon characters.)
    « Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 06:59:38 am by DmGuay »

D.M. Guay | Web site

Offline MaxDaemon

• View Profile
      • Electrik Ink
    « Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 09:26:48 am »

So far, they have been easy to work with. They handle all costs of production and promotion, and they snagged a narrator that I am absolutely over the moon about. (he's a legit actor who is the voice of many of my fav. anime and cartoon characters.)

I guess I'll find out. I have an appointment for Monday morning to talk with them. We'll see if what they want is what I want, I guess.

Now, if I just knew what I wanted.

Honestly, having one of my books (or all of my books) out there in a quality Audio version is almost exciting enough to not worry too much about the logistics. The chances of me having ever gotten her to Audio myself is close to zero.

Offline DmGuay

• OH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 07:30:21 pm »
    I guess I'll find out. I have an appointment for Monday morning to talk with them. We'll see if what they want is what I want, I guess.

Now, if I just knew what I wanted.

Honestly, having one of my books (or all of my books) out there in a quality Audio version is almost exciting enough to not worry too much about the logistics. The chances of me having ever gotten her to Audio myself is close to zero.

It makes sense for me. I probably would have never done audio on my own. Ultimately, it's a personal decision.

D.M. Guay | Web site

Offline Ed Nelson

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 04:14:35 am »
    I just signed my Richard Jackson Saga with Podium and so far it has been a very pleasant experience working with professionals. They contacted me just like you. Opens a whole new market place, at no cost to me, I don't see any downside. Of course if a giant tomato ate their studios it could be a loss.

Ed Nelson

It's all true, give or take a lie or two.
    Ed nelson

Offline MaxDaemon

• View Profile
      • Electrik Ink
    « Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 05:42:04 am »
    I just signed my Richard Jackson Saga with Podium and so far it has been a very pleasant experience working with professionals. They contacted me just like you. Opens a whole new market place, at no cost to me, I don't see any downside. Of course if a giant tomato ate their studios it could be a loss.

Ed Nelson

I'm hoping you included a giant tomato clause in the contract that states if and when a giant tomato does indeed eat their studios, that the audio rights revert to you?

After all, what would a giant tomato want with audio books? At least corn has ears...

Offline DmGuay

• OH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 06:41:13 am »
    I'm hoping you included a giant tomato clause in the contract that states if and when a giant tomato does indeed eat their studios, that the audio rights revert to you?

After all, what would a giant tomato want with audio books? At least corn has ears...

The giant tomato clause might work. If I'm not mistaken, if they don't make your audiobook within 1 to 3 years of you turning in the finished manuscript, you get the rights back, so yes. The tomato clause would definitely be in effect.

D.M. Guay | Web site

Offline Clay

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: July 19, 2020, 09:00:10 am »
    I just signed my Richard Jackson Saga with Podium and so far it has been a very pleasant experience working with professionals. They contacted me just like you. Opens a whole new market place, at no cost to me, I don't see any downside.

The downside is that they don't offer advances. Is that still true?

Offline blubarry

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: July 19, 2020, 11:25:55 am »
    If Podium is interested, it may be worth your time to reach out to other audio production companies to see if they would make a competing offer. Audible has a way for authors to reach out (and I know one author who had Podium interested, reached out to Audible, and got a sizable advance and better terms from them). The same with Tantor. I've worked with all three. My best experience has been Audible, but maybe because they keep paying me the most. Good luck!

Offline MaxDaemon

• View Profile
      • Electrik Ink
    « Reply #10 on: July 19, 2020, 11:53:31 am »
    If Podium is interested, it may be worth your time to reach out to other audio production companies to see if they would make a competing offer. Audible has a way for authors to reach out (and I know one author who had Podium interested, reached out to Audible, and got a sizable advance and better terms from them). The same with Tantor. I've worked with all three. My best experience has been Audible, but maybe because they keep paying me the most. Good luck!

Scuttlebutt that I'm hearing is that Audible doesn't allow as much control as Podium? Little choice in voice actors and the like?

Offline blubarry

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: July 19, 2020, 12:18:28 pm »
    Scuttlebutt that I'm hearing is that Audible doesn't allow as much control as Podium? Little choice in voice actors and the like?

Everything is negotiable, including narrator approval (which I've gotten from all three). You'll typically get 2-3 options you can pick from, but you can always suggest if you have someone in mind. Audible has a huge stable of narrators and you'll likely get someone good, or even up and coming. I got someone for my first Audible series who has gone on to do very well for himself and I think his fans drive some additional reads of those books from years ago. I will say Podium gave me an excellent narrator. Their marketing push was subpar though.

Offline DmGuay

• OH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: July 20, 2020, 09:51:09 am »
    It's true. There is no advance from Podium.

And, if Podium has reached out, Tantor might follow.  Tantor reached out to me about a month after I signed my Podium contract.

Still, I'm so far impressed with Podium. The narrator is to die for. They did a great job replicating my cover. They are quick to reply and answer all questions. The contract is straight forward and not sketchy.

I will update when the book launches to let you know about marketing, etc.

I'm in the 20booksto50k FB group, and there is a lot of great information there about Podium and Tantor and peoples' experiences. I read through all of that before signing. It might be worth a trip over there to see what others say?

D.M. Guay | Web site

Offline LanceMcMillian

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: July 21, 2020, 01:42:40 pm »
    Great information on this thread. A big thank you to everyone.

Offline MaxDaemon

• View Profile
      • Electrik Ink
    « Reply #14 on: July 21, 2020, 08:28:11 pm »
    It's true. There is no advance from Podium.

And, if Podium has reached out, Tantor might follow.  Tantor reached out to me about a month after I signed my Podium contract.

Still, I'm so far impressed with Podium. The narrator is to die for. They did a great job replicating my cover. They are quick to reply and answer all questions. The contract is straight forward and not sketchy.

I will update when the book launches to let you know about marketing, etc.

I'm in the 20booksto50k FB group, and there is a lot of great information there about Podium and Tantor and peoples' experiences. I read through all of that before signing. It might be worth a trip over there to see what others say?

I'm easy. I drank the Podium Koolaid. :-)

Honestly, I was impressed by the straightforwardness of it all, and even the "real contract" wasn't written in anything that took a lawyer to understand. Or at least I hope that's the case. <heh>

Anyhow, I signed with Podium for better or worse. I did talk with several people about it, and went through a number of forums looking for answers. I saw very few people complaining about problems with Podium, although to be fair I saw very few people complaining about anyone else either.

Anyhow, as I said to someone else, I'll tell you in five years (or maybe seven) if it was a good idea or not.

Offline Ed Nelson

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: July 22, 2020, 05:14:52 am »
    I'm about three weeks ahead of you in the process and it is going smoothly.

Ed Nelson

It's all true, give or take a lie or two.
    Ed nelson

Offline DmGuay

• OH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: July 22, 2020, 07:39:53 am »
    Welcome!

Since wer'e both Podium-ers now, feel free to DM me with any questions or experiences...

My first one goes live 8/18. Fingers crossed!

D.M. Guay | Web site

KBoards.com

• Advertisement