Author Topic: advantages/disadvantages to telling newsletter about upcoming free days?  (Read 642 times)  

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
    • View Profile
    • greggbell.net
That's it really. I have three free days coming up for one of my ebooks. What are the upsides/downsides of letting the newsletter in on it? Thanks.

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong." Oscar Wilde
Gregg Bell | Website | Amazon author page | Blog | Twitter | Google+ | Facebook

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline alhawke

• View Profile
      • A.L. Hawke website
    My opinion: it depends on what you're looking for from your fans. Sales? Reviews/ARCs? Certainly announcing freebies will keep them clicking on your emails, but if you announce every free book, you won't have any left to buy.

Telling them about a freebie right before a new release can help sales; or if it's a starter for a series. I've announced a few, but I don't tell my readers about every sale or freebie I run. It depends on the timing.

A.L. Hawke | Author website | Goodreads | BookBub

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
      • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
    I see no problem in alerting your newsletter followers (assuming that's the newsletter you have in mind).

I do see a problem in giving your book away. Why add to the perception that ebooks have no value? Enough people have that idea as it is. If you think they'll be so grateful that they'll run off and buy one or another of your books, well, don't be naive. What they'll do is run off and find the next sucker who's giving his/her/its books away.
    Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    My opinion: it depends on what you're looking for from your fans. Sales? Reviews/ARCs? Certainly announcing freebies will keep them clicking on your emails, but if you announce every free book, you won't have any left to buy.

Telling them about a freebie right before a new release can help sales; or if it's a starter for a series. I've announced a few, but I don't tell my readers about every sale or freebie I run. It depends on the timing.

Thanks A.L.

Telling them about a freebie right before a new release can help sales

How so?

Do you mean a different freebie than the new release?

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    I see no problem in alerting your newsletter followers (assuming that's the newsletter you have in mind).

I do see a problem in giving your book away. Why add to the perception that ebooks have no value? Enough people have that idea as it is. If you think they'll be so grateful that they'll run off and buy one or another of your books, well, don't be naive. What they'll do is run off and find the next sucker who's giving his/her/its books away.

Thanks notjohn. Yep, there is definitely a huge "freebie only" readership out there.

Offline alhawke

• View Profile
      • A.L. Hawke website
    Thanks A.L.

How so?

Do you mean a different freebie than the new release?
    Yeah, I mean setting a book for free at the time of a new release, particularly the 1st book in a series, should help advertise your new release. I wouldn't advise setting the new release free, though I've read some do that. I had success setting a 2nd stand-alone book at 99c when it was a new release. The promo paid for itself by leading to purchases of the 1st book, and, of course led to a higher ranking for the new release.

I don't run a lot of free promos. I'm not a fan, preferring 99c, but free is a way to push more reviews and get a series familiar to readers.

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    Yeah, I mean setting a book for free at the time of a new release, particularly the 1st book in a series, should help advertise your new release. I wouldn't advise setting the new release free, though I've read some do that. I had success setting a 2nd stand-alone book at 99c when it was a new release. The promo paid for itself by leading to purchases of the 1st book, and, of course led to a higher ranking for the new release.

I don't run a lot of free promos. I'm not a fan, preferring 99c, but free is a way to push more reviews and get a series familiar to readers.

Thanks I got most of that but still not sure about:

I had success setting a 2nd stand-alone book at 99c when it was a new release. The promo paid for itself by leading to purchases of the 1st book, and, of course led to a higher ranking for the new release.

Offline alhawke

• View Profile
      • A.L. Hawke website

Thanks I got most of that but still not sure about:

Just sharing my personal experience of pairing a 99c promotional sale with a new release. I do believe new release promos are helpful for climbing up the Hot New Release ranks and, thereby, helping with visibility.

But free?? I'm not sure. Maybe if it's the 1st book in a series.

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    Just sharing my personal experience of pairing a 99c promotional sale with a new release. I do believe new release promos are helpful for climbing up the Hot New Release ranks and, thereby, helping with visibility.

But free?? I'm not sure. Maybe if it's the 1st book in a series.

Thanks A.L.

Offline jm2019

• View Profile
    Hi Gregg,

I don't do free promos and rarely do discounted ones. But when I do, I do tell my subscribers that it's available. For e.g., I did a 0.99 with ENT for one of my books (2nd in the series) and I let my subscribers know that they could get it cheap for a day. I got several people who went and purchased it and it's my way of returning to my subscribers. But I do that only because I'm very sparing with discount promos.

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    Hi Gregg,

I don't do free promos and rarely do discounted ones. But when I do, I do tell my subscribers that it's available. For e.g., I did a 0.99 with ENT for one of my books (2nd in the series) and I let my subscribers know that they could get it cheap for a day. I got several people who went and purchased it and it's my way of returning to my subscribers. But I do that only because I'm very sparing with discount promos.

Thanks jm.

Offline Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books]

• Author of sweet romance, fantasy, mystery/suspense
      • View Profile
    I tell EVERYONE when my books are free.  It works well (for me) with my first in series and for older books that might not be getting much attention. 

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Mystery, Suspense and Historical Non-Fiction.
    Lavender Lass Books | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter |YouTube | Pinterest | Instagram

Online Crystal_

• Portland, OR
      • View Profile
    Why would you not?

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    I tell EVERYONE when my books are free.  It works well (for me) with my first in series and for older books that might not be getting much attention. 

Thanks Lorri. That's exactly what this was--an older book not getting much attention.

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    Why would you not?
    I was feeling unappreciated. lol Thanks. Your post motivated me to send it.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement