Author Topic: Text to Speech Ignoring Images in Kindle books?  (Read 180 times)  

Offline MadAmber

• View Profile
Text to Speech Ignoring Images in Kindle books?
« on: July 21, 2020, 09:01:40 pm »
Moved this from the general Kindle forums to here. New to the forums, didn't know there was a spot for writing-related Kindle stuff.

I've formatted a novel for Kindle and added alt text for the chapter heading images ("Chapter One" "Chapter Two" etc.) using Calibre. Then converted it to Kindle MOBI format to check out how it looks there. Turning on the Text to Speech (in both the Kindle for PC app, and the iOS VoiceOver accessibility feature on Ipad), the heading images do not get registered to let the person know what chapter they're on. The alt text is not spoken. It just goes right to the first line of text it can find and reads.

Is there a way to fix this so that readers who are visually-impaired can follow along with the book? Does Kindle normally ignore images/alt text like this?

The only solution I can think of is to lose the images as a chapter header and use text, but I'd like to be able to use images if possible.

Thank you in advance! 

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
      • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
    Re: Text to Speech Ignoring Images in Kindle books?
    « Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 06:57:09 am »
    Well, what does your html look like? If it's properly expressed, then perhaps you should move the image into the text instead of trying to make it a chapter heading.

Are you enclosing that image call within < h1 > and < /h1 > tags? I've never seen that done. Maybe you should ask on the MobileRead forum for Sigil, epub, or Kindle Formats. Lots of good brains there.
    Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

KBoards.com

• Advertisement