Author Topic: Beware of EBAY SCAMMERS selling your book!  (Read 928 times)  

Offline Mambi2

• View Profile
Beware of EBAY SCAMMERS selling your book!
« on: August 10, 2019, 12:37:58 pm »
Hi.

There are a lot of scammers/fraudsters stealing Amazon paperback books and uploading them to eBay for a fraction of the price.
The scammers somehow manage to obtain your paperback book as a PDF file-- I am not sure how they do this?
Anyway, they sell this PDF on eBay for a few dollars.
When a customer buys it, the scammers just email your book as a PDF file (not a physical paperback) to the customer.
You, the author, gets nothing in return, only loss of sales and damaged reputation.
So... if you are selling your paperback on Amazon for say $9.99, you can bet there are scammers selling a PDF of it on eBay for $1.99 or even $0.99.
I don't know if this is happening on other sites too.
I only found this out when I typed 'crime thrillers' into eBay and saw a bunch of knocked off PDFs for sale.

I didn't see any of my books on there for sale. I think they only target popular books. But it's always worth a check.

Hope this is useful..  :)

Mambi x
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 01:02:09 pm by Mambi2 »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline ImaWriter

• Canada
      • View Profile
    Re: Beware of EBAY SCAMMERS selling your book!
    « Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 01:03:32 pm »
    There are a lot of scammers/fraudsters stealing Amazon paperback books and uploading them to eBay for a fraction of the price.
    The scammers somehow manage to obtain your paperback book as a PDF file-- I am not sure how they do this?
    Anyway, they sell this PDF on eBay for a few dollars.

If you really must worry about things you have little or no control over, worry about the scammers who are giving your book away for free on sharing sites. Pirating has been talked about to death here for years.  ::)
    « Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 01:05:56 pm by ImaWriter »

Offline Mambi2

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 01:05:18 pm »
    If you really must worry about things you have little or no control over, worry about the scammers who are giving your book away for free on sharing sites. Which has been talked about to death here for years.  ::)

If I saw my book on eBay as some low quality knocked off PDF, I would assert my rights and report it to eBay and request that they take it down immediately.

Offline ImaWriter

• Canada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 01:08:32 pm »
    If I saw my book on eBay as some low quality knocked off PDF, I would assert my rights and report it to eBay and request that they take it down immediately.

More power to you.

And exactly why I pointed out the bigger concern--to some--than eBay.

Offline Flying Pizza Pie

• Keaau, HI
      • View Profile
      • Nevada Gaming History
    « Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 07:19:12 pm »
    Thanks, Mambi2. Great to know you are on top of this. Can you provide examples? Even one?

Al W Moe | Blog | Facebook | GoodReads

Offline LionsAlwaysWinAuthor

• View Profile
      • Marty Dickinson on Facebook
    « Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 09:38:11 am »
    haaa, I remember seeing an internet marketing book with my name on it. It looked like a private label book that you use peoples' names for credibility so they buy or download the book and then all the links were to their money maker sites. I waited to report it to see just how long Amazon would go before taking it down but they never did until I said something.

Offline Triceratops

• Cinderella story.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 10:20:10 am »
    Thanks, Mambi2. Great to know you are on top of this. Can you provide examples? Even one?

I can. Last week I tried to find a used copy of the new bestseller The Biggest Bluff by Maria Konnikova . (It's about poker.) I figured somebody might be selling their used hardcover on ebay.

Off to ebay I went. There were many listings at a lower price than new. However, of the 20 or so listings, more than half said "pdf," "digital," "ebook" etc. Pirates clearly.

Edited to remove link -- we try to avoid sending traffic in those directions. Drop me a PM if you have any questions. - Becca

« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 03:15:47 pm by Becca Mills »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement