Author Topic: Strategy for a series  (Read 541 times)  

Offline mike h

• View Profile
    • Herman_Santangelo
Strategy for a series
« on: July 22, 2020, 02:11:12 pm »
I recently signed up for Kindle Unlimited as a reader to check out the quality and quantity of what was available. I found that it takes a bit of effort to find books i feel are readable. (Maybe that's just me being picky) A few days ago I found a well written British mystery. Finished it and went to download more of the series. Unfortunately, the first in the series is in KU and the rest are not. Since I'm approaching my KU membership as how i imagine a typical KU person handles things, having the rest of the series out of KU means they are out of my reach.  (I'm limiting my reads to only KU right now)
So it struck me that the author's approach of having only the first in the series in KU is faulty. A better approach, if one is to select a specific audience, is to have the entire series in KU or have the entire series out of KU and available at retailers besides Amazon.
My thinking is that the author lost me as a customer when she selected me as a KU person then dropped me to go wide for the rest.
Any comments?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline VisitasKeat

• Following my characters. Wherever they take me.
      • View Profile
    Re: Strategy for a series
    « Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 04:37:51 am »
    Usually authors make the first permafree in order to drive customers from different retailers to their mailing list, Author Central link etc. It could be that this author hasn't heard about the trick of making first episode free. So, she thought it's best to drive traffic by slotting the first alone into KU and making hooked readers to buy the rest. Just my opinion.

Online Kathy Dee

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 07:34:08 am »
    I recently signed up for Kindle Unlimited as a reader to check out the quality and quantity of what was available. I found that it takes a bit of effort to find books i feel are readable.

There's plenty here ...

https://www.reddit.com/r/KindleUnlimitedBest/

Offline Crystal_

• Portland, OR
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 03:16:07 pm »
    I imagine the author is rolling the series out of KU and that one rolled out last.

It's possible they're trying a first in KU strategy, but I can't imagine that working very well.

Offline mike h

• View Profile
      • Herman_Santangelo
    « Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 04:12:28 pm »
    I imagine the author is rolling the series out of KU and that one rolled out last.

It's possible they're trying a first in KU strategy, but I can't imagine that working very well.
    She has two different series. Both are set up with the first in KU and the rest wide. I'm agreeing with you that it seems it would not work well.

Offline jvin248

• View Profile
      • J Gordon Smith - Official Author Weblog
    « Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 04:14:58 pm »

Yes, best to make it easy for readers to continue a series or author.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement