Author Topic: Question for Those Offiering a Bonus in Their Books  (Read 347 times)  

Offline LionsAlwaysWinAuthor

• View Profile
    • Marty Dickinson on Facebook
Question for Those Offiering a Bonus in Their Books
« on: July 24, 2020, 06:50:51 am »
If you offer to readers in your books that they can go to your website to get access to a bonus, do you promote your bonus in your Amazon book description as value added? Or do you let the readers discover the bonus once they are in the book?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline TaraCrescent

• View Profile
    Re: Question for Those Offiering a Bonus in Their Books
    « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 07:49:27 am »
    Are you writing fiction or non-fiction?

I write fiction. If I had a bonus that wasn't already bundled into the book, and required readers to go elsewhere to claim it, (for example, a bonus epilogue) I wouldn't mention it on the Amazon page at all. I'd really only mention it in the back of the book.

Non-fiction writers tend to mention their bonuses in the description.

Online Kathy Dee

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 07:54:33 am »
    If you offer to readers in your books that they can go to your website to get access to a bonus, do you promote your bonus in your Amazon book description as value added? Or do you let the readers discover the bonus once they are in the book?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that bonuses are frowned upon by Amazon these days.

Offline Rick Gualtieri

• NJ
    • Renaissance Geek
      • View Profile
      • RickGualtieri.com
    « Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 08:05:43 am »
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that bonuses are frowned upon by Amazon these days.

I think that's more excess bonus, i.e. a book that offers 16 other "bonus books" in the back.  A bonus chapter at the end of a novel, or a "click here to join my newsletter and receive a free book" link isn't going to set off any of their warning sirens.

Back to the OP, I'd probably agree with one of the other comments. Non-fiction might be okay to mention it in the description.  Fiction = leave it for the folks who finish your story.

Making fantasy fun again, one corpse at a time
    Rick Gualtieri | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Bill The Vampire on FB | YouTube

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 08:53:33 am »
    Pretty sure Amazon does not want you to mention anything in the blurb which is available elsewhere.

Al Macy | Web Site

Offline LionsAlwaysWinAuthor

• View Profile
      • Marty Dickinson on Facebook
    « Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 10:11:24 am »
    Pretty sure Amazon does not want you to mention anything in the blurb which is available elsewhere.

Yeah, that's what I'm figuring too. It's unfortunate if so, because I just had my developer create a web-based tool to do some of the work automatically that I suggest in the book. But, it wouldn't make sense to just put it out there to the general public unless they read the book. And, if I could promote it in the book description that readers would get access to it, I would think it would help sell more books, Amazon's goal.

This is for non-fiction by the way.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement