Author Topic: Push-to-Kindle 2.2 beta released  (Read 828 times)  

Offline northofdivision

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
Push-to-Kindle 2.2 beta released
« on: July 14, 2020, 11:19:52 am »
Don't work for them but have always appreciated their product. One of the best ways i've ever spent a dollar a month. I mentioned their last update and this one seems to be building on that with a new look. The new interface essentially allows one less click, a better looking interface, the ability to instantly change the article heading/title and just works a little cleaner. For those that don't use it, it's essentially a little extension on your Chrome browser from your laptop/desktop that you just click on whenever you see an article you'd rather read on your Kindle and it sends it over. Sounds like they're rolling out the functionality on mobile phones soon too which will be great.

For many of us who have multiple Kindles, this has been a great way to keep one of my older Kindles in the rotation. I now use a Kindle exclusively for longform articles from the web (Interview mag, Medium, TheAthletic, NYtimes, etc) on my Kindle. It also saves time from spending staring at my computer. If it's an interesting article I want to read, I never read from my computer anymore. It' s pretty great to eat breakfast and just read articles with e-ink over coffee and eggs rather than having to stare at a computer screen or tablet. I do notice that occasionally an article has a paywall and just by clicking it over it sends the article to the Kindle. I actually had to purchase Wash post and NYtimes and TheAthletic but for some smaller publishers/memberships, it works.

A really great plugin/extension to get more use from your Kindle. The real only difference from the free version of Push-to-Kindle is that the beta version eliminates getting articles that are chopped off or missing entirely when you send it.

Thoughts on anyone else using it or some tips on good sites to send articles to my Kindle from?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 11:31:33 am by northofdivision »
Stanley
=====
Google Pixel, Ipad Mini4/5
Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis, Oasis 7"
Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura One 8", Likebook 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    Re: Push-to-Kindle 2.2 beta released
    « Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 12:34:32 am »
    I used to have that and used a lot on a previous laptop. I am not sure how to get it back. I didn't know you had to pay though.
    New York, NY
    Flutist, retired legal word processing operator
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 03:30:09 am »
    I used to have that and used a lot on a previous laptop. I am not sure how to get it back. I didn't know you had to pay though.

You don't. Not for a basic version. At least .... I installed it a while ago and I know I never paid. I've also never upgraded it or anything and it still works for the things I care to use it for.

I think the paid version neatens things up a bit and maybe lets you get at articles that might otherwise be behind a paywall.

OR ... it's just a voluntary payment so they can keep developing it.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 06:27:13 am »
    It sounds like it would be useful for anyone but maybe especially for anyone still using a DX.
    My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    There's no bad day if you have a good book.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement